Confusing readings

Amanda2376

Hi. I'm t2d controlled with diet, no meds. I have been bit lax the last few months. So now taking control again and am eating keto. I am in ketosis according to my daily tests, feel great, lost 4lbs in 2 wks. But my bg readings are higher than ever - 8-10 on waking, then only drops 1-2 points 2 hrs after food. Yesterday, didn't drop at all. In fact rose to 15. Yet I'm in ketosis. This is just too complicated and it's getting me down. Any advice please?? Thank you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Are you using the urine dip sticks to show that you are in ketosis?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The early morning readings are probably dawn phenomenon. That is natural.
If you wait for a while after waking, just before breakfast, then test, that will give you your fasting levels.
What was your last Hba1c? Because I believe you are still getting higher than normal blood glucose levels despite doing Keto.
What do you have for breakfast? Because there could be something that is still spiking you.
Even though you are doing Keto, you may not be Keto adjusted.
Your body may take time to get used to near normal levels again.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I'm t2d controlled with diet, no meds. I have been bit lax the last few months. So now taking control again and am eating keto. I am in ketosis according to my daily tests, feel great, lost 4lbs in 2 wks. But my bg readings are higher than ever - 8-10 on waking, then only drops 1-2 points 2 hrs after food. Yesterday, didn't drop at all. In fact rose to 15. Yet I'm in ketosis. This is just too complicated and it's getting me down. Any advice please?? Thank you.
Would you like to share a typical day's eating? That might make it easier for people to advise. Are you aiming for a particular number of grammes of carbs daily?

Amanda2376

Would you like to share a typical day's eating? That might make it easier for people to advise. Are you aiming for a particular number of grammes of carbs daily?
Yes, ok. I did my bloods 30 mins after getting up. For breki I had 2 boiled eggs and 2 low carb toast with butter, cup black coffee. Lunch was Greek yogurt, sprinkling of chopped nuts, 6-8 raspberries. Tea chicken and avocado salad with mayo and few chunks feta. Lotsa water- 2-3 ltrs at least. What do u think?

Amanda2376

The early morning readings are probably dawn phenomenon. That is natural.
If you wait for a while after waking, just before breakfast, then test, that will give you your fasting levels.
What was your last Hba1c? Because I believe you are still getting higher than normal blood glucose levels despite doing Keto.
What do you have for breakfast? Because there could be something that is still spiking you.
Even though you are doing Keto, you may not be Keto adjusted.
Your body may take time to get used to near normal levels again.
My last hba1c was 44. But this was 6 mths ago now.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, ok. I did my bloods 30 mins after getting up. For breki I had 2 boiled eggs and 2 low carb toast with butter, cup black coffee. Lunch was Greek yogurt, sprinkling of chopped nuts, 6-8 raspberries. Tea chicken and avocado salad with mayo and few chunks feta. Lotsa water- 2-3 ltrs at least. What do u think?
Amanda, I am concerned that you are eating so little while breast feeding. I am no expert, but I do think you would do well to consult your GP before fasting. If nothing else, your milk might dry up. If your milk is to nourish your baby, surely you yourself need to be well-nourished, with plenty of protein and calcium as well as fluids.

Amanda2376

Amanda, I am concerned that you are eating so little while breast feeding. I am no expert, but I do think you would do well to consult your GP before fasting. If nothing else, your milk might dry up. If your milk is to nourish your baby, surely you yourself need to be well-nourished, with plenty of protein and calcium as well as fluids.
Erm..... I'm not breastfeeding or have a baby even. Not sure wot gave u that impression, lol

Reactions: flexi06

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erm..... I'm not breastfeeding or have a baby even. Not sure wot gave u that impression, lol
OMG, what a mistake to make!!! I must have been replying to someone else who is breastfeeding, and got the threads crossed. No reflection intended!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fasting readings are the last and the trickiest to come down.

Try this way, when you wake in the morning visit the loo and test immediately after. Only then get yourself ready for your day. The liver will dump just before you wake or soon thereafter and as activity could cause extra splurges taking a reading before the morning chaos begins will show a truer level than if you wait half an hour.

Reactions: Amanda2376

Amanda2376

Fasting readings are the last and the trickiest to come down.

Try this way, when you wake in the morning visit the loo and test immediately after. Only then get yourself ready for your day. The liver will dump just before you wake or soon thereafter and as activity could cause extra splurges taking a reading before the morning chaos begins will show a truer level than if you wait half an hour.
I will try this in morning. Thank u. Wot about the spike afta exercising? Shd I b concerned? How do i compensate? Why does this happen?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wot about the spike afta exercising?
I think lots of people have this problem. As with the dawn phenomenon, it could be your liver helpfully releasing glucose, in this case to help you exercise, and over-doing it. You could try eating a little something before exercising. Personally, I eat some quick release carbs just as I go out of the door, but I don't know enough to recommend this. Maybe the boost it gives me is psychological, but at least I don't spike. Some people find that fasting raises their bg - that helpful liver again rushing to the rescue. Could this be part of your problem?