constipation with LCHF

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on lchf for six weeks and I have only lost 2 KG maybe because I have had constipation. Twice a week if I'm lucky. Has anyone else had this problem and what can I do ?? Had lots of vegies and lots of water. Tonal

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I haven't had that problem. Are you eating much fat? Not enough fat could be the problem.

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply- I like bacon too, I'll try more fat

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also took a variety of probiotics, oat bran, metamuseal etc. may help with the transition to your new diet, just don't over do it

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I first went low carb, I used Psyllium husk capsules as a way of helping to get things moving. Seemed to work.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i always have full fat natural greek yogurt with berries for brekkie, on top i sprinkle/pour linwoods milled flax" it tastes great, gives it a nice texture and is very helpful in keeping things moving, apparently its also good as a topping for salads

Reactions: 5 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had similar problems when I upped the dose of the Metformin, and Psyllium husks also helped me then.

If you get the actual husks or powder, they can be added to sauces as a thickening agent (read about but not tried personally) or to baking as a binding agent as flour alternative tend to have less or no gluten and need something added to bind it instead. It works but I am still working out the quantity to use.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Egg yolks, may be the answer, however "salmonella" should be considered when dealing with eggs.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people from this forum advised flax meal and it worked for me when I had constipation.I buy the ground flax meal and take two spoonfuls at night before I go to bed and have no problems the next day. Hope that will help you too. :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Nuts & seeds - powdered - ground almonds, coconut flour, milled flax .... all are rich in rpotein & fat & fibre.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Egg yolks, may be the answer, however "salmonella" should be considered when dealing with eggs.
Seriously? That's almost a Daily Mail standard of comment. The risk of Salmonella from eggs on a single occasion is something stupid like 1 in 100,000, or in other words, not very likely at all. Please don't make statements like that!

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I understand, as long as you buy good quality British eggs the risk of Salmonella is incredibly low. There is however a risk if you buy eggs sourced from elsewhere, even with in the EU there are still some countries where Salmonella is not that uncommon.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
However only if you eat them raw or are careless in the handling of raw eggs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have constipation at times but it is difficult to track it down to one cause.

If I am really bunged up I use a "stool softener" called Lactulose which is available non-prescription.
It can take a couple of days to work, so don't take above the recommended dose because you think it isn't working.:oops:
The bottle gives a "starting dose" then a "maintenance dose".
I don't take it continually because most weeks I have no problem, but it is handy to have as an occasional helper.

Cheers

LGC

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously? That's almost a Daily Mail standard of comment. The risk of Salmonella from eggs on a single occasion is something stupid like 1 in 100,000, or in other words, not very likely at all. Please don't make statements like that!
It was not a statement , just a precautionary measure with regard to raw egg yolks.
Egg Safety Center
Is this better :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i believe it to be 1 in 60,000 eggs carry salmonella and only 1 in 100 people that have it have anything more serious than mild discomfort, so i reckon that means 1 in every 600,000 eggs you have to worry, i eat a lot of eggs but reckon it'll take a while to eat that many

(stats from memory)

eggs rock!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i believe it to be 1 in 60,000 eggs carry salmonella and only 1 in 100 people that have it have anything more serious than mild discomfort, so i reckon that means 1 in every 600,000 eggs you have to worry, i eat a lot of eggs but reckon it'll take a while to eat that many

(stats from memory)

eggs rock!
@Andy12345 being a little argumentative today I found the following stats somewhere :

1 in 10,000 eggs contain Salmonella. If you consider most egg dishes are made with at least 2 eggs, that's 1 in 5,000 egg dishes
As you consume quite a few eggs, might be best to be ready for a blast.:stop:

(Joking aside if me or my dear old dad have a fried egg, the egg goes straight through, now that must be a gene thing.):)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought eggs were meant to do the opposite........I mean cause constipation? Not arguing, just asking. I don't eat them anyway so I really wouldn't know.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Returning to the constipation a issue (because I'm not in the habit of eating raw eggs)

Psyllium husks
Lots of fibrous veg
Berries
Enough fat (which may be more fat than you expect!)
Regular exercise
Plenty to drink
And treat laxatives as a last resort, because you can develop a dependency.