Crazy sugar

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I have been exercising and eating high protein diet along with carbs. I’ve lost nearly 3 stone.
My sugar levels the past three weeks have been so erratic, they swing from high to low and then low to high. I’m on a pump, I was due to see consultant urgently but this has been cancelled and put back 6 weeks.
I feel so overwhelmed with it all
Any tips or ideas for Me
Thanks for reading.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Scarlet10

Are you bolusing for the high protein ? How do you treat your lows ? How do you correct a high ? what pump are you using ?

Bit more digging to find out more might reveal some clues !

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Juicyj
Yes when I eat I always bolus. I treat my lows mainly with Coke or dextrose tablets. I am aware that I can consume more than sometimes is needed in that moment where you feel rough as.
I have a correction dose on my Medtronic pump set 1:4 so every 1 unit reduces my sugar by 4.
If my sugar has gone high after a low I would correct it by having insulin.
I hope that makes sense.
Thank you for replying

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Scarlet10

Thanks that might be the reason your on a yo yo then with your control, firstly always treat with the same method, so a mini can of coke, 3 dextrose tablets then wait 10 mins and check and if necessary retreat again, if you over treat then with the liver also doing a bit of a glucose splurge then you're going to go high and if you over correct the high then once the liver has taken it's glucose back you're going to go low, try running at around 9 mmol/l as a target after a hypo and not overtreating the high, it takes some self restraint as we hate seeing double digits but if you do a manual correction at a third less for example it will save the crash and burn effect later on.

I was doing this with my tandem and so every time I was going low, i'd go low again, so levels were erratic and felt out of control, once i'd adopted the approach of being more relaxed with the high and treating more gently rather than an aggressively hit it every hour, i'd fall back into range again.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much @Juicyj
That’s great advice I will definitely do what you suggested. This erratic sugar is driving me mad and I feel rubbish with it.
Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Juicyj