Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler The other hormones that come in play for DP are the human growth hormone and insulin itself. They all have different jobs to do.

It's strange about adrenaline , because certain beta blockers block adrenaline secretion - yet are well known to increase insulin resistance and interfere with the insulin secretion in the pancreas. (Atenolol is one of those beta blockers - beta blockers so called because they block beta cells including the ones in the pancreas) I think this must be because once the liver has dumped, the pancreas secretes insulin to clear the glucose, but if the beta cells are interfered with, it won't secrete enough. Hence raised BG.

Thank you Blue, it really is a lot to get the head around but fascinating stuff.

Reactions: RobynV and dbr10

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If some people find a small snack before bed helps, then I believe it is just a coincidence. The liver will dump stored glucose every morning as part of a natural process, whether that person ate something 8 hours previously or not. Insulin resistant people will see a rise in blood sugars, because although the pancreas will secrete enough insulin to clear this dumped glucose to the cells, the insulin is prevented from doing this. The more a person is insulin resistant, the higher the raised levels of glucose will be and the longer the glucose will stay in the blood stream.

I also believe the longer we fast overnight (from dinner to at least breakfast) the better it is for our diabetes control.

That would explain a lot then Bluetit as from what I've read I appear to have Insulin resistance.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was "diagnosed" (the doc just said my sugar was a bit high) this was following a routine fasting blood test, so I'm wondering if, as I've read that non-diabetic people can have the dawn phenomenon, I am in fact pre-diabetic at all? There is obviously some kind of issue though so even if this is the case I will continue the way I'm going on with low carb & fasting...I'm just a bit curious!

Really recommend that you read this article which explains how people go from normal to prediabetes and type 2 and how to stop it. It explains why fasting is often the last to deteriorate about halfway down and also the last to improve after tackling post meal rises.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046621.php

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really recommend that you read this article which explains how people go from normal to prediabetes and type 2 and how to stop it. It explains why fasting is often the last to deteriorate about halfway down and also the last to improve after tackling post meal rises.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046621.php

Thanks very much for that Alison. I keep reading and reading but it doesn't seem to sink in, but this site explains things in a very easy to understand way.