Diabetes burnout

Jellybaby98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 19 years old and have been diabetic for 16 years this year. I started on two injections a day where you could not consume any sugary things at all, i dreamt of eating cake in the birthday parties and being able to do easter egg hunts with the other children.
At 12 i was put on the 4 injections where u can eat everything and calculate insulin for it. Ever since then i have been in an endless binge eating cycle, most days i would have chocolate for breakfast just because i could. I have been this way for many years and consume high amounts of junk foods on a daily basis. I have tried many times to start a normal diet and carb count and always failed and turned back to sweets and chocolates.

Last week i had a laparascopy for my uterus and while in there theh discovered i have fat on my liver. Fat on my liver at age 19! I really need to start changing my life style but i do not know where to begin.
I also suffer with heavy depression and am on tablets which add to the problem of continously putting on weight- then eating for being sad of said weight.

Please help

Jellybaby98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be totally honest when i go there i always lie and say i been fine. I have started stuff with carb counting but i keep forgetting to do it. I am looking at a pump but i am not allowed it until i get carb counting.
I dont even count my insulin i just spin the dial

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi @Jellybaby98 - sounds like you have had a tough time and are desperate to find a way forward....but, and I don't want to sound either nasty or patronising...but...I reckon you know what you need to do and any advice you get here would only amount really to encouragement at best. The depression obviously gets right in the way of self-motivation and the putting on weight and getting low about it can be a horrible little circular trap...but...when you say you lie about how you feel to your DSN, you don't calculate your insulin ("spin the dial") and you "keep forgetting" to count carbs - well, there are issues you need to tackle. I get that it can all seem like a mountain and that makes it all the more difficult to just attack it all, but you have to..and it's not a mountain; it's a few hills that look like a mountain. You can't get past it all at once but you need to start so that results start to appear. As you gain more control, you will feel stronger and better about yourself. I am not saying that's easy - really, I;m not - but you need to get into it. You start by doing everything you can do as regularly as possible...carb counting, consideration of insulin etc...and you recognise that tiny bits of progress are still, progress. Keeping records like a diary of food, meds, levels etc...can be very informative. You begin with small steps...and you need to talk or at least download - here if not elsewhere ! I hope I don't sound too harsh and cold. Good luck.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At 12 i was put on the 4 injections where u can eat everything and calculate insulin for it.

So are you actually doing the calculate insulin part?

This suggests not:-
I dont even count my insulin i just spin the dial

There's a free NHS course on carb counting you can do - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

So, with a basal bolus regime and carb counting this gives you flexibility to eat what you want and control your blood sugar. What does your blood sugar look like with your approach at the moment? So the focus of carb counting is control blood sugar. There are no guarantees offered, nor even a suggestion, that you can eat what you want and maintain weight, just like everyone else, just like a non diabetic, if you eat an unhealthy diet you're going to put on weight.

Jellybaby98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never been taught carb counting since i was diagnosed i used to do good with it and be well controlled as i ate the same things all the time.
Most days i dont check my sugars now and just give high insulin anyway.
I have already started to try a normal diet and have bought a carb counting book to help me. I was just looking for support not for people to have a go at me

Jellybaby98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jellybaby98 - sounds like you have had a tough time and are desperate to find a way forward....but, and I don't want to sound either nasty or patronising...but...I reckon you know what you need to do and any advice you get here would only amount really to encouragement at best. The depression obviously gets right in the way of self-motivation and the putting on weight and getting low about it can be a horrible little circular trap...but...when you say you lie about how you feel to your DSN, you don't calculate your insulin ("spin the dial") and you "keep forgetting" to count carbs - well, there are issues you need to tackle. I get that it can all seem like a mountain and that makes it all the more difficult to just attack it all, but you have to..and it's not a mountain; it's a few hills that look like a mountain. You can't get past it all at once but you need to start so that results start to appear. As you gain more control, you will feel stronger and better about yourself. I am not saying that's easy - really, I;m not - but you need to get into it. You start by doing everything you can do as regularly as possible...carb counting, consideration of insulin etc...and you recognise that tiny bits of progress are still, progress. Keeping records like a diary of food, meds, levels etc...can be very informative. You begin with small steps...and you need to talk or at least download - here if not elsewhere ! I hope I don't sound too harsh and cold. Good luck.
Thanks thats helpful

Reactions: pleinster