Diabetes & Exercise

Harbottle

Having at the age off 55 got a place in the Great North Run (Running for Diabetes UK) half marathon this year, I started training back in February for it.

I test before and after each exercise session.

My BG before exercise has been high ie above 7 but down to 5.8 or 6 after execise. However a couple of times like today I cycled 7.4 miles my BG before cycling was 8.5 (food before cycling) and 9.0 after cycling. However the journey was divided into two ie I rode 2 miles messed about on a canal boat for a couple of hours then cycled again 5.4 miles.

On a previous occassion BG level around 6.6 before jogging 3 miles and after it was still 6.6

Anyone would like to put forward suggestions in simple terms if possible on what is happening? I realise that eating an hour or two before exercise has something to do with it.

Appreciate anyones input.

spideog

Are you T1 or T2?

As T1 myself I'd be delighted with those number you have, but I don't really know about what ranges you'd be aiming for if T2.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Harbottle's profile says Type 2, diet only.

mc-

Harbottle said:
My BG before exercise has been high ie above 7 but down to 5.8 or 6 after execise. However a couple of times like today I cycled 7.4 miles my BG before cycling was 8.5 (food before cycling) and 9.0 after cycling. However the journey was divided into two ie I rode 2 miles messed about on a canal boat for a couple of hours then cycled again 5.4 miles.

On a previous occassion BG level around 6.6 before jogging 3 miles and after it was still 6.6

Anyone would like to put forward suggestions in simple terms if possible on what is happening? I realise that eating an hour or two before exercise has something to do with it.

Appreciate anyones input.

Hi,

i'd suggest that in the jogging example your pace/time was not sufficient to use up your muscle glycogen, so your level is not really dropping.

Intensity is going to determine if you're needing sugar at a fast enough turn over to use it up. If you're at about 60-70% max heart rate for say only 20 mins, dropping mayn't happen at all, but if you occasionally are up in the 80% as you may have on the bike, you'll be pulling more.

This is also why resistance training is great for type two working at glucose sensitivity: short instense bursts are grabbing more sugar than steady state effort.

does that help?

There's a nice link on this site about levels too
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-spor ... sugar.html

mc

Seaman36

Well,thanks for sharing useful information....I really like this kind of informative post...Please keep sharing like these useful information with us....Keep it up...!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am wondering if the liver has dumped some glycogen because levels were getting low and the extra glycogen hasn't been worked off by the end of the exercise.

Possibly extending the duration of the exercise (and/or intensity) may take your levels down again.

On thing; your blood sugar used to drop after exercise but now it is more or less steady. Perhaps you are just fitter with more energy reserves in your muscles and so you are not calling so much on your glycogen reserves?

Again, more and harder exercise.

Good luck with the run.
How did you get to run on behalf of Diabetes UK?
Running club, direct application, some other way?

Cheers

LGC