Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
32C wow!! I still have my heating on for part of the day :wideyed:.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep walking. Best thing for us!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398504759.487426.jpg

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
What do the colours actually mean? Is it oxygen?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First hemerocallis day lilies of the season in bloom in the garden today
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398511344.101620.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398511362.521874.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398511377.722598.jpg

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do the colours actually mean? Is it oxygen?
Brain activity.
Dr Hillman's research deals with how increased physical activity is linked with increased cognitive ability and in particular with preventing reduction in cognitive ability in later adulthood.

http://kch.illinois.edu/Research/Labs/neurocognitive-kinesiology/default.htm

Pavlos

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hemerocallis - lovely in salads

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hemerocallis - lovely in salads

Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.
The leaves or the flowers?

Pavlos

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Flowers. They look good and taste good. Slightly peppery.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our front room when son's friends come calling!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398523188.241369.jpg

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember these days so well. Our son went to school in Spain and as we lived close by he and his friends would descend on us every lunchtime . From bikes they progressed to mopeds and then at 18 on to cars, my poor neighbors never anywhere to park . After he left school Sam returned to UK to work for one of our clients and the house seems so quiet. Treasure these days as they are gone so quickly .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember these days so well. Our son went to school in Spain and as we lived close by he and his friends would descend on us every lunchtime . From bikes they progressed to mopeds and then at 18 on to cars, my poor neighbors never anywhere to park . After he left school Sam returned to UK to work for one of our clients and the house seems so quiet. Treasure these days as they are gone so quickly .

The wife and I were discussing only yesterday what a strange mixed up feeling watching your child(ren) grow is.

On the one hand there is pride and joy in watching them become increasingly independent and gradually stretch their own wings. But there is also a sadness involved as you know that time passes and soon they will be ready to make their own way.

My son is eleven now so hopefully we have a while to go yet, but to be honest I am a bit concerned about whether with the teen years coming up he will not increasingly distance himself from us. To an extend I guess he will, it is human nature to rebel a little bit at that stage.

We love it when my son has friends over. We have a large house but we have not been blessed with a large family. My son is an only child, a miracle baby who came into our lives only after years of fruitless effort to conceive. The house never feels more right than when my son has friends over.

I grew up in a very different era. An era when as kids we were always outside playing in the fields or jumping in and out of each others houses in the neighbourhood. These days kids always seem to be locked inside and parents have to arrange play dates for them to get together - and as both my wife and I have to work long hours, we did not have the opportunity to do so very often.

It was a concern for me that my son would miss out completely on the kind of spontaneous association and friendship with other kids his age. So it was a great relief to find about a year ago that there was another boy my son's age, also an only child, living just three of four houses away. Following a bit of encouragement from me, the two have now become great friends and the gang has since grown to include a couple of more boys from a bit further afield.

I suppose we really need to treasure each stage of our own and our children's lives. It is natural that a part of us wants to keep things just as they are, the same part that feels a touch of sadness when looking at old photographs. But things can not and should not remain so. All we can hope for is that what we do now, what we teach our children today will prepare them for what is ahead and arm them with enough values and life skills to make the right choices in taking their own path in the future. Now if we could be part of that path, even in a little way, it would be very nice.

So thank you for your note. As you can see it has touched a chord in me

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flowers. They look good and taste good. Slightly peppery.

Are they related to nasturtiums? They look a bit similar. I've never tried eating nasturtiums, but I've heard you can?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Not sure about a link to nasturtium but nasturtiums are also edible, flowers, leaves and the seed pods usually end up as capers.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The wife and I were discussing only yesterday what a strange mixed up feeling watching your child(ren) grow is.

On the one hand there is pride and joy in watching them become increasingly independent and gradually stretch their own wings. But there is also a sadness involved as you know that time passes and soon they will be ready to make their own way.

My son is eleven now so hopefully we have a while to go yet, but to be honest I am a bit concerned about whether with the teen years coming up he will not increasingly distance himself from us. To an extend I guess he will, it is human nature to rebel a little bit at that stage.

We love it when my son has friends over. We have a large house but we have not been blessed with a large family. My son is an only child, a miracle baby who came into our lives only after years of fruitless effort to conceive. The house never feels more right than when my son has friends over.

I grew up in a very different era. An era when as kids we were always outside playing in the fields or jumping in and out of each others houses in the neighbourhood. These days kids always seem to be locked inside and parents have to arrange play dates for them to get together - and as both my wife and I have to work long hours, we did not have the opportunity to do so very often.

It was a concern for me that my son would miss out completely on the kind of spontaneous association and friendship with other kids his age. So it was a great relief to find about a year ago that there was another boy my son's age, also an only child, living just three of four houses away. Following a bit of encouragement from me, the two have now become great friends and the gang has since grown to include a couple of more boys from a bit further afield.

I suppose we really need to treasure each stage of our own and our children's lives. It is natural that a part of us wants to keep things just as they are, the same part that feels a touch of sadness when looking at old photographs. But things can not and should not remain so. All we can hope for is that what we do now, what we teach our children today will prepare them for what is ahead and arm them with enough values and life skills to make the right choices in taking their own path in the future. Now if we could be part of that path, even in a little way, it would be very nice.

So thank you for your note. As you can see it has touched a chord in me

And, in turn, it has struck a chord with me: my daughter (31) and son (28) both live and work in London. They lead very busy lives and my husband and I don't get to see them as often as we'd like. My daughter was working over Easter (hospital pharmacist) but my son was home and we had a good time comparing notes on yoga, cooking, travel, politics, football, cycling in London and our cat. I often feel nostalgic about their childhood - my daughter organising hiking expeditions with her friends, my son playing street hockey with his mates ...

I can say that, yes, things change, but there are blessings at every stage that you don't dream of in advance. That has been the case for me - one of the best things for me is that my son still makes me laugh and I still make him laugh.

Reactions: 3 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about a link to nasturtium but nasturtiums are also edible, flowers, leaves and the seed pods usually end up as capers.

Wow, I buy capers in bottles of vinegar, and didn't know they're nasturtium seeds!
It was a very very long time ago, please believe me, that I realised that sultanas, raisins and currants had all been grapes once upon a time in their young lives.:hilarious:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, I buy capers in bottles of vinegar, and didn't know they're nasturtium seeds!
It was a very very long time ago, please believe me, that I realised that sultanas, raisins and currants had all been grapes once upon a time in their young lives.:hilarious:

Capers are the unopened flower buds of the Capparis spinosa bush which are customarily harvested and brined before the blossoms pop open.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398628547.848378.jpg

Caper shrubs are unusual and attractive ornamentals that flower their second or third year and live for decades, steadily producing more buds and berries. These plants thrive in hot, dry environments and prefer full sun.

Incredibly they seem to grow in the most impossible positions such as high on dry walls
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398628519.554003.jpg

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to the village again today playing hosts to some friends and their children. Inevitably we ended up visiting donkey at the farm.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398628927.306596.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398628972.993415.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398628994.175918.jpg

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I grow both nasturtium
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398629721.273243.jpg

And hemerocallis in my garden
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398629846.398549.jpg

Although both plants are edible and have slightly peppery taste, they have very different characteristics to be related. Nasturtium is an annual with round leaves and a somewhat creeping habit. Hemerocallis is a rhizomatous perennial, with linear leaves and a clamp forming habit.

I managed to shock my wife yesterday by casually plucking a hemerocallis flower of the plant and happily munching away! Thanks for the tip!

Word of warning, although the original hemerocallis fulva (pictured)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398630286.719095.jpg

Is definitely edible, it is not certain that all the various cultivars developed from it are also edible. Unless certain do not risk it.

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love pomegranates.

I love the fruit, wonderfully acidic, full of vitamins and antioxidants; even a small amount will elevate any humble salad it is added to into something special

And I love the tree. With its bright crimson flowers, it is one of the most decorative of fruit trees.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398699221.757703.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398699245.026248.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398699298.228893.jpg

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people