Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably no other plant dominates our summer garden than Bougainvillea, with its masses of brightly colored "flowers", seemingly everywhere one turns.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398742794.387827.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398743507.564835.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398743562.674830.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398743601.953890.jpg

Actually the long lasting bright colors are due to colored leaves or bracts that the plant produces in abundance round it's true flowers which are actually small, white and fairly unspectacular.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398743783.202827.jpg

Ironically, a plant which has come to be almost emblematic of the Mediterranean summer, is not a Mediterranean native at all but has arrived here from South America
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398744089.960253.jpg

The plant is drought resistant, easy to care for and a dramatic source of color over the whole of the summer months.

In fact the only problem with it is having to sweep the masses of "flowers" that the plant continuously produces.

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Reactions: 6 people

Karbstruck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice
Love Bouganvillea, but winters in my part of Aus are a little too cold. I have a tiny Pomegranite bush. Hoping it will put on some more growth next summer. Gardening is one of my passions and I thoroughly enjoy all your pics, and comments, Pavlos, so do keep posting.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I've told my husband that we must go to Cyrus next April Pavlos so we can see it in all it's glory with it's beautiful flowers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hey Pavlos are you ok. I'm missing your motivation and lovely flower photos.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Pavlos, It's been a few weeks since you last posted, are you ok?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Miss you too Pavlos with your wise words and wonderful photos it always brighten my day reading your posts. Hope all is ok with you .

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone else missing your postings and great photos! Hoping all is well and sending you best wishes,
Luz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
From me too, missing your fabulous photos. I hope you are OK although I also have a vague feeling that you said you would be on holiday. If so, I hope you are having a lovely time.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi pavlos I thought you might like these photos of my sister's English garden.Hope you re ok.

Attachments

• 1401570973588.jpg
    1401570973588.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 1401570990021.jpg
    1401570990021.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 1401571004857.jpg
    1401571004857.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 178

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Pavlos , I just wanted to thank you for posting earlier this year.
Your posts inspired me to take diabetes seriously and has led to myself and many others to get fitter.
Hope you are ok. Must be really hot in Cypus.
Thankyou again for inspiring me.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Pavlosn, Just let us know that you are ok, we miss you and all your inspiring postings and beautiful photographs!

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Summer is almost over, my son is back to school, and for my health's sake, it is time I got my head out of the sand and got on top of this diabetes thing again.

Yes, to my shame I managed to fall off the wagon in the last few months and urgently need to get back on it again, hence the need to log on to this site again and to resurrect this "diary".

Let me start by thanking all of you who have posted here asking about me and my well being.

@NotSoSweet2
@daisy1
@Jamrox
@lizdeluz
@Connie104

Please accept my sincere apologies for not seeing and responding to these enquiries earlier.

Luckily, despite my worst recent attempts to ignore my diabetes, I am still in good health, if in urgent need of losing a few kilos and getting my fitness levels up.

I am going to be generous to myself and say that maybe I needed to take a break from it all for a while. Stupid I know but no good crying over spilled milk and all that.

On a more positive note, I did go on a great holiday to Croatia, in my opinion a stunningly beautiful country, which I would highly recommend to you all.

I leave you with a couple of holiday snaps:
First Plitvice lakes national park Croatia, a Unesco protected site of outstanding natural beauty: sixteen lakes connected by countless waterfalls.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1410672190.357282.jpg

Me enjoying a bit of sailing ( also did some river rafting and some sea kayaking during this holiday)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1410672410.042147.jpg

Sunset at Dubrovnik

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1410672457.080139.jpg

Luckily summer is not completely over. It is still warm enough in my part of the world to go to the beach and this is what I have planned for today. After all swimming is physical activity and so good for us diabetics!

All for now

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Glad to see you're back and look forward to seeing more beautiful photos.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great to see your back Pavlos. Glad you had a good holiday and look forward to reading your posts again x