Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having chicken Caesar salad for lunch
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411643088.434164.jpg

Normally I would not order something like this because of the high fat content.

Trying to convince myself it is actually good for me.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn - Have you watched or rewatched Try Stapleton's presentation in post 54 on this thread?: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/shell-shocked.64760/page-3

His thoughts and expression on lipids is excellent, and I really did enjoy watching it again this morning. I had forgotten some of his detail. My lipids are suboptimal and I have had a couple of "discussions" with my medics over time, but as a "woman of a certain age", I don't find the science compelling, even without the likes of this clip. It might just reassure you a bit. Troy Stapleton is a Radiologist, so a medical doctor, rather than any sort of lay zealot.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreath

Thank you I will make sure to watch.

I suffer from monozygotic familial hypercholesterolemia, I have inherited a faulty gene from one of my parents, which means that independently of my dietary choices, without statins my cholesterol levels would really be sky high. I would hate to make matters worse through my diet.

This explains why, while I fully understand the need to limit my carb intake, I am worried about increasing fats; but if I do not increase fats that only leaves increasing proteins and that is supposed to run the risk of kidney damage.

Sometimes it feels like we can never win.

Anyway, I guess the answer is to suck it and see.

I will let my meter guide me on how many carbs to have and as for the rest I will not worry too much for now. If at the time of my next lipid count my levels have increased I will deal with any changes that need to be made then.

The salad was delicious by the way although every bite was initially taken with a feeling of apprehension!

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreath

Thank you I will make sure to watch.

I suffer from monozygotic familial hypercholesterolemia, I have inherited a faulty gene from one of my parents, which means that independently of my dietary choices, without statins my cholesterol levels would really be sky high. I would hate to make matters worse through my diet.

This explains why, while I fully understand the need to limit my carb intake, I am worried about increasing fats; but if I do not increase fats that only leaves increasing proteins and that is supposed to run the risk of kidney damage.

Sometimes it feels like we can never win.

Anyway, I guess the answer is to suck it and see.

I will let my meter guide me on how many carbs to have and as for the rest I will not worry too much for now. If at the time of my next lipid count my levels have increased I will deal with any changes that need to be made then.

The salad was delicious by the way although every bite was initially taken with a feeling of apprehension!

Pavlos

It looked absolutely delicious!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay,................. That's the way to do it.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling in a celebratory mood as I have just had my best set of glucose counts since restarting monitoring

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411675658.040193.jpg

That 81mg/dl (4,4 mmol) is probably the lowest after dinner reading I have ever had, though it was probably helped by the 3km walk I took immediately before testing.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411675738.128157.jpg

What was dinner?

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411675773.298699.jpg

Grilled redfish fillet
Stir fried vegetables ( yellow bell pepper, cabbage, onion, broccoli and courgettes) in a tablespoon of butter.
Boiled white beans( only 40g) and celery salad with an olive oil and Lemmon juice dressing.

It was actually delicious to eat.

Treating myself to sixty grams of raspberries and a couple of spoonfuls of Greek yoghurt.

The joys of diabetes!

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Just had to shell out euro 69.99 to buy FIFA 15 for PS3 for my son on the first day of its release.

View attachment 7101
View attachment 7102

What is worse, as my son has been promised a PS4 for Christmas and PS3 games will not play on the PS4 console, I will no doubt have to buy the PS4 game as well in due course.

It probably sounds like I am spoiling my son and there is probably a ring of truth in that but I only have the one son, he is eleven and so in a couple of years he probably will not stand the sight of me, so I will try my best to please him now that he still lets me!

Pavlos

You are a good dad. He 'll be really happy.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up to find that I was at 94mg/dl (5,2 mmol)

As I was about to set out on my morning walk I decided to have a small slice of nectarine, 45g of which just under 5g carbs. I did this hoping to stop my levels falling much lower during my exercise, which would in all likelihood precipitate a liver damp I.e. in my liver releasing glycogen into my bloodstream to compensate.

Good news!

Not only have a completed my walk in a sub-10-min-per-kilometer pace for the first time since my comeback, but my glucose level on returning was 87mg/dl (4,8 mmol).

Breakfast is a one-egg omelette with 20g of cheddar cheese dried mint leaves and a little yoghurt plus about a quarter of a slice of whole grain toast with butter served with a mug of green tea. According to myfitnesspal 200 calories and 10g of carb (including the nectarine)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411708433.008927.jpg

Duranta gold - I love the color of this plants leaves, the flowers are a small added bonus.

Pavlos

P.S.

During my walk I passed a couple of early teen boys obviously on their way to school.

No sooner had I gone past them, when I heard a call of "mister, mister" behind me.

I stopped thinking that if they ask my for a light for a cigarette I am going to let them have a piece of my mind.

"Can you tell us five word beginning with "mal".

They wanted my help in order to do their homework. Actually more than my help, they wanted me to do their homework for them.

My first instinct was to refuse.

But they spoke Greek with a foreign accent, probably the children of immigrants, and the only school I know of in the direction they were heading is a primary school, a school they looked a couple of years too old for.

I also thought of other kids whose parents can afford to get tudors for them to help them with their schoolwork.

So I decided to give the kids a break: "malnutrition, malnourished, malicious, malevolent, malpractice."

I did not realize I was so good at this.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411714867.927036.jpg

This diagram, which charts my glucose level over the last month makes pleasant reading; my daily average glucose levels as captured by the black line show a distinct downwards trend over the last week or so and the early red dots marking counts which fall above NICE recommended maximum levels have now given way to blue dots marking counts that fall within these recommended limits.

The light blue band represents the NICE safe pre meal levels for T2 diabetics, while the red line represents the corresponding post meal upper limit.

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Temptation on a plate
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411729487.608978.jpg

Just finished lunch - a bowl of tomato soup and some prawn salad with guacamole

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411729563.130071.jpg

The nice waitress asked if I would like desert or coffee and I declined both.

So she brings me this chocolate covered temptation, which is siting in front of me as I write this,
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411729690.474388.jpg

Momentarily, I considered explaining that I am diabetic and asking her to take it away.

Common sense prevails so I just thank her and I am now doing the best I can to ignore it.

I suppose it is a bit of a test of willpower and that I am writing this here in an effort to reinforce mine. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Life has been busy and trying and terribly time intense. would like life might be peaceful and slow. underneath lots of stress and generally it's resistless. however I'm not reacting by binge consumption. My readings are excellent. I forever thought stress would take them up.
I want to learn about INSULIN THERAPY Do You really need Insulin?

As you have already posted the link,( see above in red), then you have obviously looked at it. please remove this link from your post and do not post this link on the forum again. Thank you RRB

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you have already posted the link,( see above in red), then you have obviously looked at it. please remove this link from your post and do not post this link on the forum again. Thank you RRB

I had already decided to ignore the above post and particularly the link posted. If @shuhab had read anything about me including any part of this thread, he would've known that not being insulin dependent, I have little interest in links to "insulin therapy", whether genuine or as I suspect in this case not.

Pavlos

shuhad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Ok miss, I will remove this link. Thanks for co-operation.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably my best ever series of readings for a single day

View attachment 7129

with a high of 117mg (6,5 mmol) at two hours after breakfast and a low of 83( 4,6 mmol) before dinner.

View attachment 7130

The purple line showing average glucose count continues to show a downward trend.

Even more pleasing the red line capturing post meal highs is dropping even faster revealing reducing spikes due to meals.

All in all, really pleased with progress.

Pavlos

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Having chicken Caesar salad for lunch
View attachment 7110

Normally I would not order something like this because of the high fat content.

Trying to convince myself it is actually good for me.
It looks delicious! My kind of food! We have just woken up because our eldest has snook in with us and wriggled into the middle of our bed. I have just made tea so am drinking tea, chatting with eldest and showing her your cute cat. Family consensus is what a cutie! I love ginger cats. We had one when growing up.he was a rescue cat and was the naughtiest cat ever. My favourite anecdote was one summers day he sought refuge from the heat under a chair which my mother was sitting on. He looked up, saw that she was wearing very short shorts. He stretched a leg, examined his claw, gave a casual glance upwards and sank his claw into the tender area of my mums bum through the chair. She shot up through the air like a rocket! This basically sums him up.
Glad weight and bs coming down. I have maintained this week! :(

Reactions: 5 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I ve just woken up ...can't believe Ive slept til 9.30