Diabetic cheiroarthropathy

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Cheiroarthropathy" does not feature very frequently in the search results here.

After a year of tests into the pain in my hands, and after having progressively eliminated many other possibilities, diabetic cheiroarthropathy is the diagnosis.

Along the road, diabetes itself was diagnosed.

I went to the physiotherapy ward at my local hospital on Monday following the consultants referral. They told me that they routinely deal with hand arthritis referrals but that they have not had a patient with diabetic cheiroarthropathy before.

It would seem that blood sugar control and physio are my only possible treatments.

Is anyone in the same boat?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
One of the pleasing side effects of my statins when I was on them was a very severe pain in my right hand; felt like a constant muscle spasm. I thought it was related to typing, but it didn't seem to come and go with any logic.

Since stopping the statins I have never had that pain again.

Statins are famous for causing lots of nasty muscle problems and also famous for being considered by the medical profession to have very few side effects; so that is why your doctors wouldn't even think to query them.

Did the pain start after or before you started to take statins? If after I'd seriously consider stopping them for a few weeks to see if it effects your hand pain.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you look it up it seems to be quite a well known complication but apparently a lot of peope don't go to their doctors with it unless it
causes reduced mobility or deformity.
The IDDT says studies have found it it occurs in
8.4- 55% of people with Type 1 diabetes
4.2 -77% of people with Type 2 diabetes
which are I think meaningless statistics. They suggest the variation found in studies may be to do with racial differences or how it is diagnosed.
Most articles suggest that that physio and good glucose levels may help. Some people have had cortisone injections..

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have trigger finger, had it a few years now, seems if I had been more aggressive in my googling I could have been prediabetic and done something then, but how was I to know heyho. Off to see the handy man this month to see what else they can do for it instead of a splint which is neither use nor ornament.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for all the responses.

I have my diabetic MOT with the diabetic nurse and with the GP tomorrow.

Statins are unlikely to be the problem because the issue existed well before my diabetes diagnosis in January 2012.

I have very sore finger tips and I am limited in the amount I can write or type. Usage worsens the pain and rest improves.

The feeling is as if I climbed a rope in a school gym and then slid down. It improves and worsens on a daily cycle.

There is no contracture as yet, but I feeel that that is for the future.

Googling has been of limited help.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
dawnmc said:
I have trigger finger, had it a few years now, seems if I had been more aggressive in my googling I could have been prediabetic and done something then, but how was I to know heyho. Off to see the handy man this month to see what else they can do for it instead of a splint which is neither use nor ornament.

Interesting, my 1st finger moved involuntary quite a lot a good month back I did not really take any notice other than "hey look a that" since low carbing and being good since diagnoses this has never happened again.

snag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sterling,

There was another thread on here about 18 months ago, but I cannot find it now. I was diagnosed with Diabetic Cheiroarthropathy in Mar 11 after being treated for 3 years for arthritis in my hands. I cannot really give you any good news based on my experiences I am afraid. The consultant was quite clear that the condition is a chronic one, and will not improve; rather, it is likely to slowly deteriorate. There is no treatment for the underlying condition, and pain management seems to be the way ahead for me. Incidentally, as I understand it, physiotherapy is NOT indicated for Cheiroarthropathy. The more you move your hands, the more the discomfort will increase. Although I suspect that different drugs may work in different ways for sufferers, I get some relief from a daily dose of Meloxicam. Unfortunately, I take the maximum daily dose to get relief in the morning with breakfast, and it usually only has an effect for 3 - 4 hours. Recently I have started getting severe pain on the outer side of my right wrist with a small swelling, but do not see my Rheumatology consultant for another month, so not sure if that is related. The hands do make using a walking stick very difficult. :(

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Snag

I am sorry that you appear to be in the same boat but almost certainly more advanced.

The physiotherapist is doubtful now whether exercise will help or worsen the condition.

For sure oral or topical ibuprofen do not help.

It does seem that usage worsen the condition and rest improves.

So you are the first person I have come across who has a similar problem.

Do you have swelling on the palm of your hand including pea-type swellings? Do your hands burn when typing or writing? Do you have an feet problems (I don't)?

snag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Certainly usage makes matters worse. I can use a mouse/keyboard for about 45 minutes before it gets too uncomfortable. The Meloxicam does seem to help in the morning on most days, but it does not get rid of the pain; only seems to take the edge off it. I was prescribed Meloxicam when the consultant thought I had osteoarthritis, and he left me on it when he changed his mind to cheiroarthropathy. I do occasionally notice my hand(s) are a bit puffy, but not markedly swollen. No burning sensation so I suspect it is not peripheral neuropathy, although I do have that in my feet. My mobility is severely curtailed by that, and a history of DVT. All in all am in a bit of a mess. To be told at the age of 55 that you will never be fit enough to work full-time was a bitter pill to swallow. It just triggered depression and mood swings. Happily that is now more or less controlled, but having to go through a 15 month appeals procedure for my ESA did not help ! I see the Rheumatologist on 14 August, so not too long before an update. My wrist is becoming a real problem, and am wearing a wrist brace almost all the time now :(

Stu_the_blue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One of the pleasing side effects of my statins when I was on them was a very severe pain in my right hand; felt like a constant muscle spasm. I thought it was related to typing, but it didn't seem to come and go with any logic.

Since stopping the statins I have never had that pain again.

Statins are famous for causing lots of nasty muscle problems and also famous for being considered by the medical profession to have very few side effects; so that is why you're doctors wouldn't even think to query them.

Did the pain start after or before you started to take statins? If after I'd seriously consider stopping them for a few weeks to see if it effects your hand pain.

Best

Dillinger

Very interesting to read your comments , I’ve recently been diagnosed with Cheiroarthropathy and have been on statins for the past 6 months , very experienced any finger or hand pain prior to the statins but it’s pretty severe now
Thanks