diabetic nurse appointment

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We don't talk about how I eat when I see my nurse she is just happy that whatever I do is working. If I had a nurse like you described then I would not argue with her about how to eat or if I should test or not I would just nod and agree with what she said then go home and do the thing that I know works for me
I am wondering if maybe your nurse doesn't bother asking you what you eat because you are slim. I think there is a chance that they are more judgmental with those of us who are overweight, assuming that we eat the wrong things. It's good that your nurse understands that whatever you are doing is working for you though. :)

Edit: My hubby (not diabetic) is always told 'keep on doing what you're doing' just because he is slim, he has been known to eat 6 full size Snickers bars in one evening. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: donnellysdogs

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
weighed me on broken scales
went and got another set and id lost 2kg since i was at the drs last week
asked if i knew about the diabetic diet and i told her pretty much like slimming world but less carbs
she angrily said 'you are not taking this seriously' and drew a plate and what i should have
1/3rd veg 1/4 carbs (bread, rice, pasta. potatoe and cereal and 1/3rd with meat and dairy
i looked at her and said 'yep slimming world'
i then said carbs aint good in large amounts and she said i needed them in order to lose weight
she then started about my weight (i am over weight and need to lose quite a few stone) but what annoyed me was she was the same size as me
i then mentioned testing my own glucose and she hit the roof saying that on metformin id never have a hypo and dont need to be testing and to stop testing because she didnt want me too
next time i go ill see my reg nurse who ive been seeing for years

Here are the salient points:

You've lost weight! Congratulations! And not a bit of weight, but a good amount. You're doing good stuff and your body is responding.

Pot, kettle, black. I so totally would have replied "What diet do you follow, then?"*

Whether you test or not is your personal choice. And, as T2's are (generally) not supported to do so by the NHS, it's really none of their business, unless they're keen to understand what you're actively doing to manage your illness. Which is doesn't sound like this nurse was.

If you have the time and motivation, phone your surgery and ask to talk to your practise manager. Regardless of NHS / Practice policy, no-one should be talked down to or shamed like that. If you register a complaint, they'll at least have to record it and, possibly, not book here again to fill staff gaps.

As sad as @AM1874 's procedure makes me, I find I'm agreeing with it:

Sadly, this sounds like standard procedure but if I were you I would simply ..
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore

It's the only way to endure such a dreadful situation without escalating things, appearing non-compliant or getting even more frustrated / down on yourself. The truth is, you're doing it right and your body is responding. You've already found your way, and more power to you <3

*When in hospital being induced with Euan, many stones lighter, I had a midwife who blustered into my room, took one look at me and said, "Gosh, there's a lot of Mummy here!" I instantly bit back, "There's a lot of midwife, too! This mummy's 9 months pregnant - what's the midwife's excuse?" I never saw that midwife again. While I'm not a fan of shame-spreading, the fact remains that you don't get to do it just because you wear an RN uniform.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's simply appalling and unacceptable that any NHS person should be talking rubbish and not handling a patient properly. I can only agree that a word with the Practice Manager might prevent that nurse being used again.

Reactions: Snapsy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In an ideal world I would agree that a word with the Practice Manager could help. However that isn't my experience, it didn't help things at all. Very often when HCPs see a fat person, they think they see a lazy, stupid person.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
oh yes deffinatly ignore
i learnt the hard way over the years and now i know better
i'll also continue monitoring my glucose levels despite her telling me not to, if i dont test my anxiety will go through the roof and i have a dr that supports me in many things so i think he will let me continue testing
Hi @licklemoose ..
Good for you .. go girl :happy:

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a review with diabetes nurse at GP surgery yesterday and she was all for cutting out the carbs seems like some are getting the message

Mine's the same but she can't come out and say it.....;)

Reactions: Luf

Survivor53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same thing more or less happened to me, saying I didn't need to test as I'm type 2 and I should concentrate on eating the split plate with heavy carbs as that's the way to balance my sugar levels to be healthy. I don't go at all to my Diabetic Nurse now, just to my Doctor, he does what she used to do only better and doesn't talk rubbish to me. After being type 2 for 17 years. the only people who know best about my diabetes is my Doctor and myself. Hard to believe in this day and age with so much fact based evidence to support itself that low carbing isn't the way to go, these so called Diabetic professionals sending out this claptrap, no wonder people become confused.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering if maybe your nurse doesn't bother asking you what you eat because you are slim. I think there is a chance that they are more judgmental with those of us who are overweight, assuming that we eat the wrong things. It's good that your nurse understands that whatever you are doing is working for you though. :)

Edit: My hubby (not diabetic) is always told 'keep on doing what you're doing' just because he is slim, he has been known to eat 6 full size Snickers bars in one evening. :rolleyes:
Yes maybe it is because I am slim and that's probably why I have never been weighed by her either.

Reactions: zand

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why is it always ok to fat shame anyone in the NHS?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
im due to see endocrinologist in august for thyroid so will bention im ytype 2, ive heard my local hospital endos are good except one whos now retired
i know i need to lose weight i didnt need to be told by a nurse whos the same size as me
i dont normally say how much i need to lose but we are talking 8 stone at least

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im due to see endocrinologist in august for thyroid so will bention im ytype 2, ive heard my local hospital endos are good except one whos now retired
i know i need to lose weight i didnt need to be told by a nurse whos the same size as me
i dont normally say how much i need to lose but we are talking 8 stone at least

Honestly, it's as well you can't all spy on me when I'm reading the posts - some of the things I read make me bark like a seal. I'm coming to learn that's my sound for "I'm utterly horrified and can't swear because Euan's in the room".

I think, @licklemoose , our scales might be saying roughly the same thing when we stand on them, except I flatly refuse to let anyone except my GP - Dr Jenny - weigh me, and she's the only one who sees and records it. I've spent a lifetime being told that I'm overweight (according to some stupid chart) - even when ribs could be counted and hips stuck out and I weighed 13 stone, the advice was "Almost at your ideal weight target!"

I'm 6' and bred almost exclusively from Cornish fisherman stock, Britannic fisherman stock, Somerset fisher... you get the idea. If I'd have been a boy, I'd have been a shoe-in for scrum half in a rugby team (as it was, I was goalie in my school hockey team). Some people are just bigger than other people; I will never be slender and skinny, a perfectly svelte size 10. If I hit a 14 I'll be able to count ribs.

So I've made it very clear to my doctor that I'm not aiming for any target weight and I don't want to know what the scales say. I'm happy to know how much weight I've lost as I got along, but beyond that, how I feel is going to be my marker, and my "ideal" weight isn't going to be dictated to me by any kind of generalised standard.

With all that said, I suspect a size 14 is between 7 and 8 stone away, but I really have no intention of aiming for that clothes size. If it happens because I'm feeling good and still finding lowering my carbs enjoyable, that's different.

We're under enough pressure when it comes to managing our illness without the NHS giving us the appropriate advice and tools (and as large women anyway). I refuse to get to a point in my journey when my T2 is under control, my diet and weight are stable, I'm potentially off all medication and feeling healthy, AND I'm still under pressure to lose weight.

I'm incredibly lucky to have a GP who agrees with me, even if my diabetes nurse isn't still completely with the program.