13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Arlene my experience has been similar. It really doesn't matter what she said or thinks. What matters is that you have control of your diabetes and it's your health, your life, your eyesight and limbs that you are saving. You are the winner xx

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

I think when to comes to nurses and dieticians they best way is to tell them what they want to hear which is not about LCHF then just go on doing what works for us I have never mentioned LCHF to my nurse and she has never told me to eat starchy carbs at every meal she is just happy that whatever I do is working and that my HbA1c is coming down which it is.
I agree. I don't feel the need to try and educate the staff at my general practice - they'll see the light eventually, and it also winds me up beyond belief when they have this attitude that @amgrundy has encountered, and that's not good for my blood pressure!
If they're genuinely interested, that's great. Otherwise I prefer to adopt the Mushroom approach - keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em on bulls***! ;)

D

debrasue

The NHS, medical professionals, nutritionists, dietitians, school staff et al have all been influenced (indoctrinated) by the government's Eatwell guide (formerly the Eatwell Plate) since 1994. This is produced on the governments behalf by The British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). This is the governments 'go to' organisation for dietary advice. Just follow this link to see who the BNF's members are. Not the best advertisement for healthy eating.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html
British Sugar plc??? Greggs??? United Biscuits??? MacDonalds??? Tate & Lyle??? Kelloggs??? Mars UK Ltd??? KP Snacks??? WHAT an eye-opener!!!
Thanks for this, @Typicaltwo - very enlightening.
:grumpy:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
@amgrundy - You have done fantastic Arlene, we all know how hard you have worked on your diet and your weight loss and reduction in your HBA1C is brilliant. :)
Thank you William I think this is why it got to me yesterday with the attitude of the diabetic nurse, not just me all of us work so hard to look after ourselves that when you go to see a doctor or a nurse or whoever it is we see they don't understand that we don't just pop the pills we have been given but it takes willpower and like you said hard work physically and mentally, and when someone like the nurse I saw yesterday doesn't give recognition makes you wonder if they are bothered about you or its just a job to them at the end of the day. Think if was them they would think differently. :):)

Reactions: Hammer1964

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
If she was having to work from a notebook, it suggests to me that perhaps she isn't actually a "proper" trained diabetic nurse but a stand in, and her bad attitude was due to her feeling completely out of her depth and defensive. Not that this was any justification at all for her dreadful behaviour but it might be an explanation for it.

You know what you've achieved so ignore her and be proud of yourself.

Robbity
Thank you Robbity, I must admit I thought this too, I did wonder if she was just standing in for someone and was not trained in Diabetes. Like you said I got the impression she was surprised I knew more than she did and was a bit taken aback, but there was no excuse for the attitude. :):)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Arlene my experience has been similar. It really doesn't matter what she said or thinks. What matters is that you have control of your diabetes and it's your health, your life, your eyesight and limbs that you are saving. You are the winner xx
Thank you Anna, I know I remember reading your post about them stopping your strips, makes you wonder if it was them would they be stopping testing. xx

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, forgot to mention a point the diabetic made yesterday. When I said that I knew a few Type 2 people are still having strips provided, she said that some doctors do let some type 2 carry on with strips for educational purposes. Educational for who them I suppose how about us.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same issue last time I saw the nurse. I book myself in every 3 months with the nurse to get my Hb levels checked and st my last appointment I had a different nurse and she initially wasnt going to do the blood test. I definately have to remember to get the name of the good nurse at our practice.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi all, forgot to mention a point the diabetic made yesterday. When I said that I knew a few Type 2 people are still having strips provided, she said that some doctors do let some type 2 carry on with strips for educational purposes. Educational for who them I suppose how about us.

I think she (nurse) was put on the spot and just said that, she must have felt somewhat intimidated by someone (You Arlene) who knew/ knows far, far more than she ever will. Well Done You. :). I get test strips/lancets on prescription ONLY because I take Insulin everyday.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I think she (nurse) was put on the spot and just said that, she must have felt somewhat intimidated by someone (You Arlene) who knew/ knows far, far more than she ever will. Well Done You. :). I get test strips/lancets on prescription ONLY because I take Insulin everyday.
Hi William, yes I understand its different when on insulin. Any way I have got over that now, I will just carry on and wait until July to see my doctor, see what he has to say. I will have to put a prescription in for strips in June if they are refused I will buy some. In any illness we have to take advice from the doctors [ the professionals ] but to me Diabetes is different especially its us the patients that know how to deal with it, really were food is concerned. Thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi William, yes I understand its different when on insulin. Any way I have got over that now, I will just carry on and wait until July to see my doctor, see what he has to say. I will have to put a prescription in for strips in June if they are refused I will buy some. In any illness we have to take advice from the doctors [ the professionals ] but to me Diabetes is different especially its us the patients that know how to deal with it, really were food is concerned. Thank you
You're great and are doing great things for yourself so ignore her and carry on with what is right for you. We have a bad Practise Nurse at our surgery who has a real attitude problem. Sounds much like yours.. She too as completely uninterested in how I had got my HbA1c down so quickly. I was fuming after our last meeting. Just made me more determined to get even better. Keep up the great work.
Regards
Mark

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
You're great and are doing great things for yourself so ignore her and carry on with what is right for you. We have a bad Practise Nurse at our surgery who has a real attitude problem. Sounds much like yours.. She too as completely uninterested in how I had got my HbA1c down so quickly. I was fuming after our last meeting. Just made me more determined to get even better. Keep up the great work.
Regards
Mark
Hi bulkbiker, Thanks for that, its made me more determined as well .

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I know a lot of people on here have had good discussions with their diabetic nurses [ I have had one with my normal nurse ] but this Diabetic Nurse wasn't one of them ] Came out and sat in car was so confused and frustrated more than anything. Unbelievable
Don't be confused, you're doing the right thing. The whole issue of testing or not testing is based on the fact that GPs don't want to and in most cases do not, prescribe test strips. The advice not to test is based on not spending MONEY, because they haven't got enough in an underfunded NHS.
Personally I'm lucky that my DN is 100% behind me testing, behind me low carbing, no probs, although her new colleague, an older woman seems to be the exact opposite, so I don't waste my time and avoid her if I can, and ignore her if I can't. My GP is pretty good as well because although she wasn't 100% behind me when I started lower carb, she just said be careful because at the time I was taking Gliclazide and she warned me of imminent hypos which I had worked out on my own. She was so gob smacked after my first lot of bloods (BG and cholesterol), she is happy with my efforts and even puts "WELL DONE" in my notes.
One day, all doctors and nurses will sing from the same song book. At medical school, doctors are even told that a percentage of what they are being told will be out of date by the time they have 5 years of being a fully qualified, (after 2 years junior doctor). Trouble is they don't all keep up to date and I think that's where the trouble lies, they just tick boxes.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Don't be confused, you're doing the right thing. The whole issue of testing or not testing is based on the fact that GPs don't want to and in most cases do not, prescribe test strips. The advice not to test is based on not spending MONEY, because they haven't got enough in an underfunded NHS.
Personally I'm lucky that my DN is 100% behind me testing, behind me low carbing, no probs, although her new colleague, an older woman seems to be the exact opposite, so I don't waste my time and avoid her if I can, and ignore her if I can't. My GP is pretty good as well because although she wasn't 100% behind me when I started lower carb, she just said be careful because at the time I was taking Gliclazide and she warned me of imminent hypos which I had worked out on my own. She was so gob smacked after my first lot of bloods (BG and cholesterol), she is happy with my efforts and even puts "WELL DONE" in my notes.
One day, all doctors and nurses will sing from the same song book. At medical school, doctors are even told that a percentage of what they are being told will be out of date by the time they have 5 years of being a fully qualified, (after 2 years junior doctor). Trouble is they don't all keep up to date and I think that's where the trouble lies, they just tick boxes.
Thank you for all your comments. I have just watched good morning on Itv just now and someone with Tpe 2 was supporting the LCHf diet and now findings have proved to support it. they are saying we have been misled for years and now high fat is good for us in loosing weight and to stay away from low fats. Also stay away from lots of carbs. If you can watch this back on catch up tv it was on good morning today Monday 23/5/16 around 8am - 8 15 am

Reactions: 3 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your comments. I have just watched good morning on Itv just now and someone with Tpe 2 was supporting the LCHf diet and now findings have proved to support it. they are saying we have been misled for years and now high fat is good for us in loosing weight and to stay away from low fats. Also stay away from lots of carbs. If you can watch this back on catch up tv it was on good morning today Monday 23/5/16 around 8am - 8 15 am
This story, or at least the BBC version of it, is being covered in the Diabetes News section on this forum.

Reactions: 3 people

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done to you @amgrundy, you have done brilliantly. Just count yourself lucky that you have one person at your practice who supports what you are doing. I have seen everyone at my local practice and come to the conclusion that it is easier for them to prescribe tablets than to try to support people with what they are doing that is working. If you don't fit into their round hole then you are trouble. Thank goodness for this site and the excellent advice and support that I have found here.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
we have been misled for years and now high fat is good for us in loosing weight and to stay away from low fats.

I'm not going to disagree with your statement, but I must say that we are not all the same when it comes to the way we metabolise fats.

I've recently had a urine test done (privately) which although showing my body is in ketosis and in theory should be burning fat, it also showed that my body is unable to metabolise fat properly and convert it into energy for the muscles to use, it's storing it as fat, therefore no weight loss for me. I never went with the LCHF thing, by choice, because my stomach didn't do high fat after so many years of low fat this that and the other (still can't stand full cream milk Yugh!!) but after my GP said I didn't eat enough and should try eating more, I started with proper yoghurt rather than the 0% stuff and proper cheese, even full cream to mix with the yoghurt. Net result, I gained weight, what a surprise.

I'm only mentioning this because if anyone finds that LCHF makes them gain weight, and I know there are loads just on this forum who have found the opposite, just bare in mind that we're not all the same. I've probably said this somewhere else on this forum but the weight thing and dieting isn't just about calories consumed and burned, it's much more complicated.

BTW, unrelated but as statins are a popular conversation, my urine test also showed that my body has very low levels of CoQ10. I wonder if that was because of taking statins for 17 years?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I'm not going to disagree with your statement, but I must say that we are not all the same when it comes to the way we metabolise fats.

I've recently had a urine test done (privately) which although showing my body is in ketosis and in theory should be burning fat, it also showed that my body is unable to metabolise fat properly and convert it into energy for the muscles to use, it's storing it as fat, therefore no weight loss for me. I never went with the LCHF thing, by choice, because my stomach didn't do high fat after so many years of low fat this that and the other (still can't stand full cream milk Yugh!!) but after my GP said I didn't eat enough and should try eating more, I started with proper yoghurt rather than the 0% stuff and proper cheese, even full cream to mix with the yoghurt. Net result, I gained weight, what a surprise.

I'm only mentioning this because if anyone finds that LCHF makes them gain weight, and I know there are loads just on this forum who have found the opposite, just bare in mind that we're not all the same. I've probably said this somewhere else on this forum but the weight thing and dieting isn't just about calories consumed and burned, it's much more complicated.

BTW, unrelated but as statins are a popular conversation, my urine test also showed that my body has very low levels of CoQ10. I wonder if that was because of taking statins for 17 years?
Hi David, I understand all you have said and yes we are all different in which foods we can tolerate and the way our metabolism works. Yes and your right it isn`t all about calories it is very complicated. Thank you for your reply.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

It could very well be, I have while taking also for a number of years statins also taken CoQ10 as a supplement.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It could very well be, I have while taking also for a number of years statins also taken CoQ10 as a supplement.
If there was evidence, and I have read that for some people who stop, the symptoms don't, I'd be the first to sign up for a group action.