Diabetic Nurse didnt Understand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe my English isn't too good but this seems to me a low-carb diet.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/Meal-plans-/Low-carb/
At the end of the diet there are some advices about the risks of taking an LCHF diet especially in one takes insulin.

Here supermarkets are quite happy to sell you food for a low-carb high-fat diet or a Mediterranean diet.
No, the high carb foods are not safe to eat - not for a non medicated type 2 anyway. I stick to 10 percent or less when selecting carb containing foods for my main menu. I do eat fruits which are higher, but in moderation, and not every week.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
From their low-carb meal plan:
Breakfast: Scrambled egg with smoked salmon on granary toast
Lunch: Ham, leek and Parmesan frittata with avocado, celery, cucumber and lettuce
Dinner: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, green beans and gravy
Pudding: Greek yogurt with rapsberries
Choose from snacks including olives, nuts, dried fruit and oatcakes with light cream cheese.

And this is from the roast chicken recipe: "Remove the skin, carve, and serve with plenty of vegetables and potatoes."
The very idea of it I would never remove the skin from my roast chicken. Infidels!

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The very idea of it I would never remove the skin from my roast chicken. Infidels!
Why? I don't like very much to eat the chicken skin. I think it depends on how the roasting was made but normally is oly and burnt...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I hate it with a vengeance. It makes me want to be sick. Each to their own. :)
Mind you, I am exactly the same with any meat fat. I cut it off, with the sole exception of bacon. :)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I can have some, but not a great deal. Makes me nauseous.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe my English isn't too good but this seems to me a low-carb diet.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/Meal-plans-/Low-carb/
At the end of the diet there are some advices about the risks of taking an LCHF diet especially in one takes insulin.

Here supermarkets are quite happy to sell you food for a low-carb high-fat diet or a Mediterranean diet.
Seems to be lower carb than the Eatwell#2.but is probably well away from any ketogenic levels, so is more likely a middling carb diet of over 80g per meal,

Has toast, chickpeas, granary bread, crispbreads with every meal, so is not really in the LCHF or Paleo diet class for diabetics.

Edit to answer your other point about Supermarkets. Here in UK, Asda is not known for its selling of healthy eating options, and tends to mainline on sugar filled processed ready meals and tasty kiddy snax. It is not the worst offender, but I do not buy anything there unless really desperate, or unless I am looking for hypo treatments.

Last edited:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to be lower carb than the Eatwell#2.but is probably well away from any ketogenic levels, so is more likely a middling carb diet of over 80g per meal,

Has toast, chickpeas, granary bread, crispbreads with every meal, so is not really in the LCHF or Paleo diet class for diabetics.
It's a reduced carb diet, but considering that there's no precise definition of what is low carb it could be also called low carb and I don't think that a semantic question is the important one.
The important question is: why people with diabetes get almost no information from medical professionals and these medical professionals in most cases don't listen to the patients and give back boilerplate responses?
Especially when diabetes could be controlled if one follows an healthy diet.
The other thing is that nobody tells to patients that aren't using insulin to test the BG levels, even for other conditions GP sometimes are suggesting to go privately.

Edit to answer your other point about Supermarkets. Here in UK, Asda is not known for its selling of healthy eating options, and tends to mainline on sugar filled processed ready meals and tasty kiddy snax. It is not the worst offender, but I do not buy anything there unless really desperate, or unless I am looking for hypo treatments.
Eating ****** foods like ready meals and ****** snacks is a no-no even if one follows the official guidelines. I've looked at the other meal plans and they don't have nutella or frozen pizza.
Unfortunately the message doesn'tarrive on people.