Diabetic retinopathy

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear that Maidz. The general line the medical establishment gives is that treatment will not reverse problems, but can stop them from progressing further. However, I have read accounts on this forum where people have had problems with their eyes, and now they no longer do. Remember, it's now very rare for diabetics to go blind. Some people have laser surgery and go on to have no more problems. If you maintain good control of your diabetes, it's likely that your sight will remain with you for the rest of your life. Even if you have treatment, it sounds like it's preventative at this stage.

Reactions: 2 people

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your support Charles I really appreciate it!! I'll let you no how I get on after the scan etc x

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your support Charles I really appreciate it!! I'll let you no how I get on after the scan etc x
No problem at all, I know full well how you are feeling. Just remember that as a species, we find it easy just to deal with things in black and white. 'I will be brilliant, or I will be blind,' is the standard way our minds tend to work (or is that just me?). In reality, it's not as clear cut as this. If you need treatment, it will seem like an insurmountable challenge to come out the other side in once piece. Just remember, you will have felt this way before. Each time something in your life has seemed impossible, the fact that you are still here proves that you overcame it. This will be no different. Honestly, we may experience some problems in the future. Perhaps our eyesight will get worse. My own view is that if this happens, I will find a way to coexist with the situation. In the meantime, I will keep my blood sugars as tightly controlled as I can, thus taking the measures I can to keep as healthy as I can, for as many multiple decades as I can.
You will get through this. As I said, needing some treatment does not mean you are sliding irreversibly down the cliff. It's not nice. Of course it isn't. But it is one of a multitude of options that our grandparents did not have. If we have to have diabetes, it's a good time to be around with it. Best wishes, and try to keep an open mind until the scan.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Once the damage has been done is there anyway to reverse it or will I just need treatment to stop it gettin worse x

They can halt it and stop it getting worse by way of laser treatment which they have mentioned to you already, if you read the link that I posted earlier in the thread there's some good advice on maintaining bg, bp and cholesterol levels to help prevent retinopathy progressing and getting worse.

I'm not sure what your bp is like but when my retinopathy was active I was put on a low dose bp med called Ramipril to keep my bp down...this despite my bp being normal. the Ophthalmologists and my gp both agreed that I should keep my levels below 130/70 to take the pressure off my eyes, I've been trouble free from retinopathy for the last 11 years although I still have to have regular check-ups, so try not to worry and take on board the advice that your Ophthalmologist will give you over the coming months.

Good luck.

HaroldC

I've had "mild background retinopathy" for the last 5 years. Since going on a pump and my HBa1cs coming down, in the last year my retinopathy is beginning to reverse. The eyes are healing up. There's hope. It's not the "beginning of the end".