diabulimia

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im a type1 diabetic and the last few days iv not really been giving myself all my injections and iv been letting my sugar levels go high in order to get some ketones so that i can lose a bit of weight

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF will give you ketones and good BG :)
there is really no reason to make yourself sick, you cut your carbs right back and have fats/oils to replace the energy and fat doesn't make you fat, that's a myth
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

*on low carb, you may need to bolus for around 50% of protein..it's trial and error to work out what your % is.

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."
" Don't do low fat " @4.00 minutes in to video

Last edited by a moderator:

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hi! I struggle with this too. It is so easy, right? Suddenly, with practically no effort, your clothes feel looser and the numbers on the scales start to get smaller.

But your eyes start to get blurry and you feel sluggish and moody.... and those are just the consequences that you notice, goodness knows what's going on inside!

I follow a LCHF diet, train 3 times a week, my BG is good, I feel good, and if ever I waver, I remember my personal mantra: would I rather be thin or would I rather be able to see and hold my loved ones?

If you need support, try the DWED (diabetics with eating disorders) website.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok don't do this. Read some of the facts and you will find that most people who start doing this and continue for a period of time will severely damage their health (blindness, kidney failure etc) or kill themselves. You are playing with fire in a terrible way.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
im a type1 diabetic and the last few days iv not really been giving myself all my injections and iv been letting my sugar levels go high in order to get some ketones so that i can lose a bit of weight

Please do not do that. Mike :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there is also the anonymous diabetic care line to ring with an issue or just a chat
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline
"Not everyone has a specific query; some just call simply to talk through their concerns or how they’re feeling."

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hey - how are you ?

Unfortunately as previously quoted and as i'm sure you are aware too - you really are playing with fire. I know you feel pressure to be slim and sadly the media paints this image that we need to look a certain way to be accepted. However unless you're prepared to adopt a low carb, high fat route and take some insulin then you are damaging your body, the effects of which you will discover in time. I think because you cant see damage being done that you probably think it's ok. I speak as a mum and if I found out my daughter was doing this then I would be deeply sad, so as a mum speaking to you try and get some support from your nurse/consultant, they are best suited to get you the support you really need.

Coming on here to speak about what you're doing means you know the dangers and if you've got the bottle to tell us, then tell your nurse/consultant, they are there to help you. Good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As been said what your doing is very dangerous, as part of your diabetes care plan you are entitled to see a dietitian, they will look at your diet and look at ways in which you can cut back on your calorie consumption so that it aids weight loss.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi diabetic12yrs

Please,as has already been said, ask for help from your diabetes team if you are struggling, diabulimia is a devastating illness and there is help available. Please don't start down this dangerous path ,look after your precious body as there aren't any spare parts. The weight drops off a lot quicker than the complications become apparent, by the time you start getting problems it really is too late and from then on it's crisis management.

I suffered from anorexia and manipulating my insulin and for a time I carried on with normal life, going to work, driving, etc I had people ask me "what's the secret of your diet"?, then one day I woke up with no sight in one eye shortly followed by no sight in the other eye. I've got about 20% sight now in one eye, no driving licence, had to retire from my job, sell my house etc. The fall out from not doing everything you can to look after yourself is unimaginable and terrifying. I would happily be twice the size I am now if I could have my beautiful, clear sight back.

Please speak to someone who can help you and support you as soon as possible. I know I dismissed everyone who tried to help me as nagging and interfering in my life, I thought I'd show them how wrong they were.Sadly it didn't work out like that and I realised too late that my behaviour was never necessary.

Please take the best care of yourself whilst you have the chance. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is much more common then it should be.

Truth is it really works! You get the benefits of no being stabbed by a needle AND you can whatever you want AND you loose weight rapidly!

'Whats the catch?' Some may ask, we'll its for the low low price of unknown damages to your body at a later date!

Wow, seems fantastic!

Of course, its too good to be true - You get all of these upsides immediately, but at some time later in life, could be 6 months, could be 5 years, could be 20 years, you will pay for it. The price could be permanent vision loss, kidney failure, loss of feeling in your feet, hands, or legs.. No one knows exactly, but it will damage your body, and shorten your life.

I don't understand when people do these things.

You you can just eat less, and make smart food choices right? You will still loose weight fairly quickly. Eat an 800cal per day diet i guarantee you will see lbs fly off, AND your sugars will stay in check.

Better yet, eat a 1500cal per day diet and get a gym member ship, or some running shoes...

Opposed to this, i would even recommend extended fasting, but at least keep your sugars normal!

Like others have said, just eat a low carb diet, you will still develop ketones and still drop weight fast AND your sugars will be normal.

Just keep your sugars down - or at least know that its destorying the quality of your life, and the length of it., and for what? looking 'thin' for a week or two ?