Diagnosed Type 2 - Severe Needle Phobia

Zastro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As of last Friday thanks to my doctor making a house call to let me know my test results he has let me know that I am now type 2 diabetic and he put me on metformin which I was perfectly happy with. However this Monday I went to see my doctor but he was not there and the new doctor told me that he wanted me on insulin injections immediately for which I outright refused. Thus he put me on Gliclazide.

To explain how bad my needle phobia is, at the actual appointment to get my blood tested it actually took 2 male nurses and my father to hold me down while the doctor took the blood he needed. Now I have an urgent referral to endocrinology at my local hospital. Now I am no fool, I do know that there will be more needles in my future especially with the referral coming up but they did promise me that before any blood tests would be done they would treat the area they would use with lidocane.

Now I am all up for changing my diet and my lifestyle to be able to control my blood sugar, thats not the hard part. I was just wondering if anyone on here has also got a needle phobia but has learned how to deal with it, or any tips at least. Btw the blood sugar at the time of my blood tests was apparently 31.2, I have no idea how good or bad that is.

S

Shar67

31.2 is really high, good is 5 or 6.
Have you spoken to your GP regarding needle phobia.
I used to have a great phobia against crane fly. I would run, cry shake total lost control. I knew I had to get rid of the phobia so took matters into my own hands literally. Caught one went through my mantra what is the worse thing this can do, rapid heart rate, sweating buckets. I took a while but eventually I managed to control feelings. Still hate them but can be near them if necessary.

Reactions: Liam1955

Zastro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have spoken to my GP yes about my needle phobia. I've tried for many years to control my needle phobia but it never gets any better. I think a culprit as well of my high blood sugar could be one of the medications im on called quetiapine (for anxiety). It's actually known for causing diabetes and for raising blood sugar levels by quite a lot but I cannot convince them to take it off me.

Zastro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plucked up the courage to do a lancet and meter test, after a good amount of lidocaine on my finger. Reading was 27.1, well at least its not 31.2 anymore :D Did involve crying thou :(

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Zastro welcome to the club that nobody wants to join but we all have! My husband used to have a needle phobia and used to nearly faint if he had any blood taken. However in 2007 he had a major heart op and is now on warfarin so he's had to get used to having bloods done on a regular basis and also his annual flu jab. He's still not too keen but he accepts it needs to be done and has got used to them.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Zastro The simple way to deal with this is to go VERY low carb right away, 20g carbs a day.

With any luck, as your T2 is newly diagnosed your blood glucose will plummet, drop like a stone!

If you are under 20g a day you won't have to do constant finger sticks to 'eat to your meter' your food will all be fine.

Starting today, eat ultra low carb. That means|

Breakfast - eggs based, scrambled egg, fried eggs, poached eggs, omelettes with bacon, smoked fish, low carb sausages, (read the back of the pack carefully, I think Asda's chipolatas are as low as they get, also some Debbie and Andrews, some Heck and some Black Farmer, mushrooms, small portion of tomato.

Lunch, any old meat or fish or eggs or cheese, large green salad (only 1 small tomato and no carrot) with full fat Mayo

Dinner. Any old fish / meat with leafy green vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, Swiss chard). With a cheese or creamy sauce, just made with double cream.

Just keep eating that until you do some research and find more detailed guidance, and have time to get your head around it! A good starting point is the diet doctor!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started

Read the hundreds of success stories on this very forum, search 'diabetes cured' 'diabetes reversed' 'diabetes in remission' needles are not the inevitable and the only way forward, hundreds, maybe thousands, maybe tens of thousands are discovering that T2 diabetes in not the 'irreversible and progressive disease' that the medical community still believe it to be. Avoidance of needles is entirely within your control!

Reactions: Nanny_B

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plucked up the courage to do a lancet and meter test, after a good amount of lidocaine on my finger. Reading was 27.1, well at least its not 31.2 anymore :D Did involve crying thou :(

I think you´ll end up getting used to finger pricking yourself after many times maybe. I still hate when my nurse take blood samples, but do on purpose look away as I know I´ll want to drag my arms away if I am looking at it while having it done...

actually it doesn´t hurt that much, I want to recomend the finger pricker from accu-chek , this is the best kind and other people can not by accident cut them self on it, the lancets/needles are hidden inside and don´t stick out , and it also hurt the least in this way, and you dont see the needle at all

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Zastro - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Zastro. I have an extreme phobia of injections. I have only had one injection in the last 60 years. My phobia goes back to childhood. .I am ok with needle into vein for blood test, though I have to look away. I have got used to finger pricking for daily self testing.
The injection phobia helped me in a way, as I was determined not to have to progress to having to inject insulin. It prompted me to go onto a spartan eating regime which lowered my bs levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Zastro I also recommend the Accu Chek Fastclix pen for stabbing yourself. The needles are inside a plastic drum that fits inside the pen. Each drum has 6 needles in it. You never see the needles at any time. You simply press the end on your finger and click. Job done.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Zastro I use the Accu Chek Fastclix too. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but after using it a few times it became easier.
If you get an Accu Chek Mobile meter, the Fastclix is included. You can buy the Accu Chek Mobile for around £22 online.
ASDA pharmacy were doing them for £17 last year.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I agree with those suggesting the Accu Check method, there is no needle that you see and by putting it on the lowest setting and using the side of a finger you obtain the required amount of blood with minimal pain. Also cut out, not just cut down, bread, cereals, pasta, potatoes, and replace with vegetables that grow above ground and start yourself on a walking programme, about 1/2 hour a day. You may find that your body takes time to adjust to the low carb levels, but double figures are not good news in the world of type 2.

Reactions: Prem51

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Agree for type 2 - do control your diet to reduce the chance of further stressing the pancreas to the point you need needles.
Freestyle libre is a gadget to be worn on arm which gives min by min reading. 1 stab every 3 days. Awfully expensive and my friends who use it says can be quite inaccurate at times.
All in all, after all that, you'll get over your fear like I did.

Reactions: Prem51