Diet controlled type 2 - low blood sugar

Cas40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been getting a few shaky episodes. One earlier a few hours after eating. Should this even happen with unmedicated T2? Hb1aC has been in the normal category for about a year.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was out earlier so couldn’t take it, but before when it has happened I think it’s been 4, maybe 3.9
That’s not overly low - many with type 2 on diet alone would see readings like that. Could it be something else?

Reactions: Cas40

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am unmedicated, eat low carb and have a normal HbA1c. However, if I have not eaten enough food I can become hypoglycaemic - shaky, dizzy, sweaty, lightheaded, irritated. Quickly solved with a piece of fruit or a plain biscuit. I carry the laughably named 'emergency biscuit' around in case I get held up or miss a meal. Had saved the occasional death - not mine!

Reactions: EllieM and Cas40

Cas40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am unmedicated, eat low carb and have a normal HbA1c. However, if I have not eaten enough food I can become hypoglycaemic - shaky, dizzy, sweaty, lightheaded, irritated. Quickly solved with a piece of fruit or a plain biscuit. I carry the laughably named 'emergency biscuit' around in case I get held up or miss a meal. Had saved the occasional death - not mine!
Thank you and good to hear you have had something similar. Keep up the good work, I’m low carb too!

D

Deleted member 543160

As you're low carbing, are you eating enough fat to balance the reduced carbs? If you've not yet needed to use fats for additional fuel, your body may have reached a point where it now needs to adjust to using it as well as the carbs, which can take a little time. This might be an explanation for your minor hypo wobblies from lack of "energy" food similar to those @Dr Snoddy mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cas40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you're low carbing, are you eating enough fat to balance the reduced carbs? If you've not yet needed to use fats for additional fuel, your body may have reached a point where it now needs to adjust to using it as well as the carbs, which can take a little time. This might be an explanation for your minor hypo wobblies from lack of "energy" food similar to those @Dr Snoddy mentioned.
Thank you. I think I am, lots of nuts and cheese. But will definitely keep an eye on that.

Jo123

If you're used to running at high blood sugars, having normal blood sugar ratings can feel like a hypo when you first go low carb. It did for me.

Cas40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're used to running at high blood sugars, having normal blood sugar ratings can feel like a hypo when you first go low carb. It did for me.
It’s been almost a year so pretty used to low carb by now. Almost feel I couldn’t go back to high carb. But only almost