Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a strange day @Chook when my FBG is lower than yours. I went off to bed on 7.3 and got up to FBG 7.5 which by my levels is OK. Did its usual morning dash pre breakfast but only got to 8.3. Perhaps the impending arrival of the sensor is scaring it?
After changing breakfast yesterday I changed it again today to a fry up crispy bacon, fried egg, gluten free pork chipolato , Portobello mushroom, 3 Vittoria tomatoes and a pile of wilted spinach. Won't be having anything until a lot later tonight so have fuelled up for now.
I'm considering liver , bacon and some onion this evening. Will see how I feel later.
Didn't lose any weight either but again I didn't gain. I will probably up my exercise once the school holidays start on Friday.
@Chook I've come to the conclusion our bodies will do what the heck they want and keep changing it just to keep us on our toes.
The Libre sensors arrive today. Just waiting for My DPD to update with my delivery slot. I suspect today will consist of making sure I am happy with what to do with them , put them on tomorrow and activate on Wednesday. Then it begins to enter the world of my sneaky BG. I already record everything I eat and drink on MFP but I think I will need to be a bit more detailed on day to day activities to see if there is a match to a response. Ah well fun days await.

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's a strange day @Chook when my FBG is lower than yours. I went off to bed on 7.3 and got up to FBG 7.5 which by my levels is OK. Did its usual morning dash pre breakfast but only got to 8.3. Perhaps the impending arrival of the sensor is scaring it?
After changing breakfast yesterday I changed it again today to a fry up crispy bacon, fried egg, gluten free pork chipolato , Portobello mushroom, 3 Vittoria tomatoes and a pile of wilted spinach. Won't be having anything until a lot later tonight so have fuelled up for now.
I'm considering liver , bacon and some onion this evening. Will see how I feel later.
Didn't lose any weight either but again I didn't gain. I will probably up my exercise once the school holidays start on Friday.
@Chook I've come to the conclusion our bodies will do what the heck they want and keep changing it just to keep us on our toes.
The Libre sensors arrive today. Just waiting for My DPD to update with my delivery slot. I suspect today will consist of making sure I am happy with what to do with them , put them on tomorrow and activate on Wednesday. Then it begins to enter the world of my sneaky BG. I already record everything I eat and drink on MFP but I think I will need to be a bit more detailed on day to day activities to see if there is a match to a response. Ah well fun days await.

I love the idea of the impending arrival of the sensor scaring your BG.

I had two largish unsmoked mackeral fillets (fried in butter) for breakfast and at the two hour point my BG was lower than before breakfast. I seem to do better with a lot of protein at breakfast.

I've been looking at my BG test results. I usually look at BG and carbs, this time I looked at BG and all macro nutrients and I can see a few patterns:

- If I delay breakfast or fast my BG goes up and up until late morning
- A protein and fat breakfast blocks my DP
- If I have more than half a Lidl roll level of carbs at breakfast, my breakfast won't block the DP - half a lidl roll seems the limit
- Even quite a few carbs at dinner (eaten with protein AND fat) don't really do much to my BG but I get a much higher reading if I eat them without fat or protein (it has to be both)
- If I have a lot of protein for dinner I will get DP the next morning - the level of the DP seems to depend on the amount of protein.

Complicated but do-able

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should use this as a swimming cover for the Sensor

ed805fc4a8fdb06738f40fc7789f3d12.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have the Libre sensors arrived yet?? I'm so looking forward to hearing about how you get on with it and exactly what it is that your BG does in the mornings.

When I mentioned my DP to the DN she said she's got more patients with it than without it and she recommends that those that get it should make the most of it by doing some form of exercise (there was me sitting there with a leg brace and a walking stick) then she suggested swimming - so maybe you are doing the best for yours on your swimming days. Then she glanced at my rather angry looking psoriasis and said that maybe I shouldn't as the chemicals will make it worse. Great.

I'm thinking of forcing Millie out for a second walk in the mornings. I don't think I could cope with all three at the same time plus my walking stick. Trouble is Millie does enjoy her hour long morning walk (with Mr C) but she then sleeps the rest of the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have the Libre sensors arrived yet?? I'm so looking forward to hearing about how you get on with it and exactly what it is that your BG does in the mornings.

When I mentioned my DP to the DN she said she's got more patients with it than without it and she recommends that those that get it should make the most of it by doing some form of exercise (there was me sitting there with a leg brace and a walking stick) then she suggested swimming - so maybe you are doing the best for yours on your swimming days. Then she glanced at my rather angry looking psoriasis and said that maybe I shouldn't as the chemicals will make it worse. Great.

I'm thinking of forcing Millie out for a second walk in the mornings. I don't think I could cope with all three at the same time plus my walking stick. Trouble is Millie does enjoy her hour long morning walk (with Mr C) but she then sleeps the rest of the day.
Not yet. Just had a look at My DPD and he should be here about 3.30pm (Love when it is DPD delivering). I'm wondering about getting one on tonight and activating tomorrow as I am most stable in the afternoon. We'll see - I don't want to muck it up.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slapped one on yet? :)
Not yet. Been good and read all the leaflet. Looks straightforward enough. Hubby reckons I should go in search of some waterproof tape tomorrow and leave putting one on until tomorrow and activate on Wednesday. Has some merit as he'll be at the football on Monday so I'll have a fairly quiet afternoon and evening.
I've had another good day. Apart from the morning 'rush' to the 8's pre breakfast all other readings were Green - nothing amazing but roaming about the 6's

Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not yet. Been good and read all the leaflet. Looks straightforward enough. Hubby reckons I should go in search of some waterproof tape tomorrow and leave putting one on until tomorrow and activate on Wednesday. Has some merit as he'll be at the football on Monday so I'll have a fairly quiet afternoon and evening.
I've had another good day. Apart from the morning 'rush' to the 8's pre breakfast all other readings were Green - nothing amazing but roaming about the 6's
Football on Wednesday not Monday

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..... and..... ?????
Nothing - just been good and read everything/examined without opening sterile pack etc. Will take the plunge tomorrow once I get tape.
Oh and action is going to be taken against the bully at last. Seems about 6 sets of parents have come forward now and it's the same names and the same tales. Parents have been summoned to meet with the headmistress. Couldn't believe it when Grandson said today bully was trying to be nice to him again and only trips him up so he falls at break time but 'he says it is an accident ' - no honey , once is an accident a daily occurrence isn't. I reckon he knows his card is marked now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing wrong with the 6s. But good idea to activate when you are expecting a peaceful day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing - just been good and read everything/examined without opening sterile pack etc. Will take the plunge tomorrow once I get tape.
Oh and action is going to be taken against the bully at last. Seems about 6 sets of parents have come forward now and it's the same names and the same tales. Parents have been summoned to meet with the headmistress. Couldn't believe it when Grandson said today bully was trying to be nice to him again and only trips him up so he falls at break time but 'he says it is an accident ' - no honey , once is an accident a daily occurrence isn't. I reckon he knows his card is marked now.
That lad's behaviour is really appalling. He'll probably be a wife beater and work place bully when he gets older. I hope they get him real help to change the way he behaves rather than just suspending or excluding him because that won't have any permanent affect.

My FBG was up again this morning - I think it might be a bug because I woke myself up sneezing in the night - not something I can ever remember happening before. Or it could have been the three lamb chops I had for dinner last night (they were very small).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness, I love lamb chops. It has been a long time...

I thought, as I read your post @maglil55 that the bully's problems go far further than you would expect from a 6 year old. That family is in for some serious stress over the next few years. I am very pleased that the school are taking it seriously now.

Re DietDoc, I am less than organised. Need to get my head back in the game. It really didn't help that the mutts gave me a box of Lindt dark chocs for mother's day. I have been very strict. Rationing them to one at a time, and only when my bg is in the low 5s or even lower, but somehow that still means I have been snaffling about 5 a day! haha!

I worked it out, and each choc averages 5-6g carbs. Eaten singly like this they hardly raise my bg - but it makes the whole 'DD under 20g carbs a day' thing rather a farce! :D

Obviously, the answer is to keep eating the chocs until they are all gone (at current rate of consumption that will be 2-3 days), while DDing. Then just carry on with the DD when they run out.

Reactions: Ultramum and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Goodness, I love lamb chops. It has been a long time...

I thought, as I read your post @maglil55 that the bully's problems go far further than you would expect from a 6 year old. That family is in for some serious stress over the next few years. I am very pleased that the school are taking it seriously now.

Re DietDoc, I am less than organised. Need to get my head back in the game. It really didn't help that the mutts gave me a box of Lindt dark chocs for mother's day. I have been very strict. Rationing them to one at a time, and only when my bg is in the low 5s or even lower, but somehow that still means I have been snaffling about 5 a day! haha!

I worked it out, and each choc averages 5-6g carbs. Eaten singly like this they hardly raise my bg - but it makes the whole 'DD under 20g carbs a day' thing rather a farce! :D

Obviously, the answer is to keep eating the chocs until they are all gone (at current rate of consumption that will be 2-3 days), while DDing. Then just carry on with the DD when they run out.

Lamb chops from Lidl - on special offer at the moment - and very tasty. I'll be getting more next weekend.

I think your chocolate consumption plan is excellent. Let's face it, once the box/wrapped is open the contents just might go off. (Yes, unlikely I know but it's a good excuse). How lovely that your dogs gave you a Mothering Sunday gift. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

I agree - it is a race against time! Perhaps I should increase the rate of consumption... I have already had to throw away the coffee ones :bigtears: it would be tragic if any of the others should go off and become inedible...

They are very considerate mutts. They even gave me a card!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd say, then, that its imperitive you consume them quickly. What sort of RPD (rate per day) can you manage without increasing your BG??

You threw away COFFEE ones?? My favourites..... :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, they had coffee in them :( I have become quite paranoid about caffeine intake, even in such silly things as chocolates and desserts, since I saw what it was doing to my blood pressure.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, they had coffee in them :( I have become quite paranoid about caffeine intake, even in such silly things as chocolates and desserts, since I saw what it was doing to my blood pressure.
It would raise my BP throwing them away :p

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had lamb chops too. Boys requested them as they have dinner here every Monday. Wee one hasn't let Papa forget they didn't get their chops last time because he dozed off and burnt them. Or as the wee one says 'I couldn't get lamb because Papa put black sand on them' - no black sand this time
Bed on 7.5 last night. Maybe I shouldn't have had 2 squares of chocolate. FBG 8.3 and got to 9 pre breakfast. Was later eating as gardeners are here to give trees and bushes a good tidy up . Lovely to see all the spring bulbs being revealed.
You threw a coffee cream away??? Gee I love them What considerate pooches.
You don't know the half of it with the bully. Mum and Dad made it clear that if this was not dealt with by the school then they would deal with it. Mum & Dad were both in school yesterday helping with the reading (Yes parents volunteer up here to help with the teaching in class) and Mum got the group with the bully. She noticed him going to have a kick at another child but he looking to see if anyone was watching - she was and mouthed no no , shook her head and finger and he thought better of it.
I agree @Chook he needs help. Angry though I am that he has got away with this for 2 years, I have been saying for 2 years the child obviously has issues. He has very few friends now as the other children closed ranks and refuse to play with him. Mum and Dad work long hours and he is with the Nanny or in multiple out of school clubs. I can't help thinking he is looking for attention from his parents. Same on the days you are permitted to have family in for them to show off their work - he only ever has the Nanny if anyone. But they have to nip this in the bud now.
Anyway, I drift off thread. Had another fry up - back to scrambled eggs tomorrow. Toying with making spinach and garlic soup or maybe liver tonight.
The Libre is ready and waiting. Will attach this afternoon once my BG had descended again. I've gone with your suggestion of Opsite although there are some fancy Libre tapes/covers online. Think I will cover the sensor with gauze so the Opsite just sticks to my arm. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to multiple pool sessions hence why I can't chance not taping it.
Exciting day!