Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could it be a delayed reaction to your work stress and handing in your notice.

I know that seems ages ago, but sometimes stress is like that. We live with it as a chronic, grinding, endless condition, for so long that we think it is normal, and then when it is over, it can take a surprisingly long time for the tense bits to realise they can start to unwind.
I would agree with that. Look at what happened to me Mil dying, Father in law moving in for a while followed by son plus family plus giant dog and 3 cats for nearly 5 months, brother diagnosed with Myeloma, son ending up in ICU in a coma thanks to the flu, sister diagnosed with colon cancer and secondary liver.......I came through all of that yet it was months later that my BG went through the roof and delayed stress was the best the doctor could come up with as nothing else made sense.
Exercise helped me a lot and still does but I know your difficulties with that. My DIL runs an exercise class for people of varying abilities such as recovering from injuries, strokes, wheelchair users, arthritis - anything really and she says it is challenging but rewarding. Does your sport centres not run any classes like this? They are a popular class.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'll have to check in to those classes although I doubt it (the local leisure centre in the next village and is very tiny. There's not much enthusiasm in this area for exercise.

I never thought about delayed reaction to stress. It could be - I have felt a lot more chilled out since giving in my notice and felt in a real party mood the day I got my P60 and P45. I know my Mum had a nervous breakdown five years after my Dad died and she'd just married my step father - in her case it was the sudden absence of stress. Maybe it runs in the family - but I have been feeling a lot less depressed recently.

I've just woken up from a 2 hour nap and I still feel tired. I've got loads to do so its got to stop. I know its something 'real' because when I woke up all three dogs were sitting next to me gazing solidly at me (even Jack) and they only tend to do that when I'm ill, so its something they can sense and Archie, my middle dog whose got 'nursing' instincts, is following me around everywhere (he's the one thats good at sensing when my BG is low or high) although my BG is fine at the moment .

I mean.... I can't go to the doctors and say I know something's wrong because my dogs keep looking at me - they'll lock me up!

Reactions: pms543 and Ultramum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had something similar several times in my life.

I think I spent half the summer holidays asleep after my A levels, and likewise after my Degree ceremony. Then it happened again when I went on a 5 month meditation retreat in Greece (I slept about 14 hours a day for about 6 weeks that time!) and then again about 8 years ago when I had a rather stressful house move.

If it just recovering from sustained stress, then it won't be anything to worry about. Just chill and enjoy the down time. With me, it always just stops happening when I have 'rested' enough. Normal programming just automatically resumes. :)

Reactions: Chook

pms543

No I don't grease the parchment. I wet the corners underneath so that it sticks to the baking sheet. I only do 2 or 3 to the sheet as they spread a bit.
Celeriac çhips I just experiment until I'm happy. Reckoned they had to be blanched as it is so hard. All the methods worked but I think the pot was the best for crispness. As well as the garlic salt I like some paprika on them. Cayenne could work too but not a lot. I think parmesan might work too.
Air fryer and oven is easiest but there is a fine line between crisp and burnt.

Sorry, can I but in and ask about the pot? what do you actually mean by that, thanks

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, can I but in and ask about the pot? what do you actually mean by that, thanks
Just the pot I blanched them in. It's a nice heavy pot that they don't stick to. I blanch them in boiling water for about 4 mins, drain and dry them on kitchen towel. Add olive oil to the pot they were in , oil the chips and coat with garlic salt and paprika , add to the hot oil in the pot and give them a turn every so often. You need to stand over them this way. Other options are to do them in the oven or an air fryer but I found this method was the crisper but the most effort too. Doesn't affect the taste - they all taste good.

Reactions: pms543

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We just finished dinner. Mr C did the celeriac chips as you suggested but did them in the oven. By far the best celeriac chips we've ever had. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We just finished dinner. Mr C did the celeriac chips as you suggested but did them in the oven. By far the best celeriac chips we've ever had. :)
Did you use the garlic salt? I'm totally addicted to it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you use the garlic salt? I'm totally addicted to it.

Yes, and a touch of smoked paprika. REALLY nice - completely nothing like the celeriac chips I've had before.

I had an interesting BG day yesterday, FBG was 6.1and was down to 5.1 at lunchtime, two hours later it was 5.3 then slowly went down and down. An hour before dinner it was down to 4.1 and just before dinner it was 3.5. I didn't feel at all hypo so I wasn't worried. Two hours after dinner it was back up to 4.2 so I had some 81% choc and got it up to 4.6 by bedtime. This morning's FBG was 5.6 and it's 5.3 now (two hours after breakfast).

I was planning on doing a couple of days of fasting this week but if my BG carries on being good I might not bother.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, and a touch of smoked paprika. REALLY nice - completely nothing like the celeriac chips I've had before.

I had an interesting BG day yesterday, FBG was 6.1and was down to 5.1 at lunchtime, two hours later it was 5.3 then slowly went down and down. An hour before dinner it was down to 4.1 and just before dinner it was 3.5. I didn't feel at all hypo so I wasn't worried. Two hours after dinner it was back up to 4.2 so I had some 81% choc and got it up to 4.6 by bedtime. This morning's FBG was 5.6 and it's 5.3 now (two hours after breakfast).

I was planning on doing a couple of days of fasting this week but if my BG carries on being good I might not bother.
Love celeriac chips. Something is happening to us
Mine bed 5.5 FBG 5.7???? Pre breakfast 7.1?

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Love celeriac chips. Something is happening to us
Mine bed 5.5 FBG 5.7???? Pre breakfast 7.1?

Long may it continue!! Maybe we're in a little group of our own whose livers don't want to give up their cache of glucose very easily - or maybe we just had a big store of it to get rid of.

I found being in the 3s a bit concerning and I'm glad I was at home where I could keep an eye on it and raise it if I needed to - although I think my emergency stash of jelly babies are well out of sell by date.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long may it continue!! Maybe we're in a little group of our own whose livers don't want to give up their cache of glucose very easily - or maybe we just had a big store of it to get rid of.

I found being in the 3s a bit concerning and I'm glad I was at home where I could keep an eye on it and raise it if I needed to - although I think my emergency stash of jelly babies are well out of sell by date.
I usually have some of the boys sweets in my pocket although very low BG has never been an issue

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not for me either - which is why my jelly babies are a year out of date. I used to get all kinds of highs and lows when I was on insulin. Since I started low carbing and came off the insulin I haven't had very many lows.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I need to get some Garlic Salt. Keep forgetting.

When DD says 'use Tex-Mex seasoning' what are you using?

I have done Tex-Mex searches on Tescos website, and got nowhere, so I've started using this stuff
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273912655

And I LOVE it.
Gorgeous flavour! And so easy to use. Lovely gentle smokey burn. Good on pork shoulder steaks, in Crackslaw, in mayo, and would be exquisite in DIY guacamole!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I sling together something out of Mr C 's extensive spice cupboard. Usually cool chilli powder, cumin, good chocolate powder, chipotle flakes.... Anything that catches my eye really. I did once have an American recipe book that had recipes for all sorts of different spice blends but I can't find it now. :(

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I need to get some Garlic Salt. Keep forgetting.

When DD says 'use Tex-Mex seasoning' what are you using?

I have done Tex-Mex searches on Tescos website, and got nowhere, so I've started using this stuff
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273912655

And I LOVE it.
Gorgeous flavour! And so easy to use. Lovely gentle smokey burn. Good on pork shoulder steaks, in Crackslaw, in mayo, and would be exquisite in DIY guacamole!
I've used this before when I want a ready mix as Old El Paso tends to be OK. Like @Chook I tend to use whatever is about. Wahca do a pretty good Chipotle marinade too which I've got in Tesco before

https://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=265431873

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BG was 3.8 before dinner. This is so strange.

That Lidl three game bird roast was lovely although it did rake up a few memories about the lovely geese we used to keep and when one of the 'girls' turned out to be a boy. At the time our policy was any healthy bird we were raising that had to be culled had to be eaten.....it was very hard eating the boy goose known as Daisy....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have had something similar several times in my life.

I think I spent half the summer holidays asleep after my A levels, and likewise after my Degree ceremony. Then it happened again when I went on a 5 month meditation retreat in Greece (I slept about 14 hours a day for about 6 weeks that time!) and then again about 8 years ago when I had a rather stressful house move.

If it just recovering from sustained stress, then it won't be anything to worry about. Just chill and enjoy the down time. With me, it always just stops happening when I have 'rested' enough. Normal programming just automatically resumes. :)

Mr C agrees with you. He also thinks I need to get out more - which is easier said than done.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
FBG back up to 6.7 this morning. :( I'd love to know what gave me low FBG over the last couple of days. I think I'll try the longer fast this week to see if it works a miracle.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG back up to 6.7 this morning. :( I'd love to know what gave me low FBG over the last couple of days. I think I'll try the longer fast this week to see if it works a miracle.
Same boat ....bed 6.5 FBG 6.6 Pre breakfast 8.3. Again I've had 3 really good days but the pre breakfast rise is back.