Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Same boat ....bed 6.5 FBG 6.6 Pre breakfast 8.3. Again I've had 3 really good days but the pre breakfast rise is back.

I don't understand what I did differently from the previous two evenings - I didn't eat anything after our fairly early dinner (despite husbandly provocation with chocolate).

I don't really know when my DP starts. Mr C gets up earlier than me to walk the dogs and as he gets up I invariably get a 'tropical moment' - I do wonder if thats the start of it. Usually, if I have a big enough breakfast soon after getting up, I can stop it in its tracks so this morning's breakfast was an experiment to find out how little protein I need to stop it - mushrooms fried in butter (with a hint of garlic) in a Lidl protein roll.

I was very careful with carbs and protein this weekend (I didn't even have my Saturday treat of fresh raspberries :( ) so you'd think my cantankerous liver would have got rid of its glucose stores - but obviously not.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My fried mushrooms in garlic butter in Lidl protein roll breakfast definitely wasn't enough to stop my DP it was up to 8.2 after two hours.

But I've always had a problem with mushrooms. :(

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine peaked 1 hour after breakfast at 9. Something. Thanks Libre
And yet it was a breakfast that shouldn't have done anything very much. Turned on the hour mark and went on descent.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG back up to 6.7 this morning. :( I'd love to know what gave me low FBG over the last couple of days. I think I'll try the longer fast this week to see if it works a miracle.
Me too - in the 8 zone today - unless it was the sausages of unknown provenance - but they didn't spike me when I ate them

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Isn't it strange? I came down to 6.3 before having an avocado and 2 little Lidl salami sticks - two hours after that it was at 4.6 - re-tested twice and 4.7 was the average. Maybe I ought to live on avocados and little Lidl salami sticks. :dead::***:

@Ultramum - how are you getting on with Sitagliptin? It really didn't suit me (nausea and vomiting) - far worse than the Metformin side effects.

Just a thought - if the rest of the meals you had with your sausages of unknown provenance was fatty then that will slow down any carbs in the sausages. Thats how I get away with having Toby Carvery breakfasts (I love their sausages) - it seems to spread the carbs out over the day - slow gentle rise followed by a slow gentle fall.

Mine peaked 1 hour after breakfast at 9. Something. Thanks Libre
And yet it was a breakfast that shouldn't have done anything very much. Turned on the hour mark and went on descent.

Has your BG carried on coming down? When do you go back to your manic mornings again? All the children in this area still seem to be on school holiday. Are you making the most of the peace and quiet? :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't it strange? I came down to 6.3 before having an avocado and 2 little Lidl salami sticks - two hours after that it was at 4.6 - re-tested twice and 4.7 was the average. Maybe I ought to live on avocados and little Lidl salami sticks. :dead::***:

@Ultramum - how are you getting on with Sitagliptin? It really didn't suit me (nausea and vomiting) - far worse than the Metformin side effects.

Just a thought - if the rest of the meals you had with your sausages of unknown provenance was fatty then that will slow down any carbs in the sausages. Thats how I get away with having Toby Carvery breakfasts (I love their sausages) - it seems to spread the carbs out over the day - slow gentle rise followed by a slow gentle fall.

Has your BG carried on coming down? When do you go back to your manic mornings again? All the children in this area still seem to be on school holiday. Are you making the most of the peace and quiet? :)
I'm back - schools here went back Easter Tuesday so I've had my peace and quiet I'm afraid. Yes it kept going down though. As No 2 says the secret sugar thingy is all green now so that's good. 5.6 at the moment.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm back - schools here went back Easter Tuesday so I've had my peace and quiet I'm afraid. Yes it kept going down though. As No 2 says the secret sugar thingy is all green now so that's good. 5.6 at the moment.

Crikey - that was a short Easter break. Do they get longer summer breaks to make up for it?

5.6 - it wasn't so long ago that was a distant dream for you. Congratulations :) :)

I've decided, if my FBG is over 6.5 tomorrow morning then I'm going to attempt this two day fast. Which is not to say I'll manage to complete it, but I'll give it a try. I just want to stop my liver from giving me these annoying dumps. ;)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Only fat was some single cream in a mug of coffee - church shared lunch so stuck to lean meat and salad leaves - plus two chicken drumsticks and two sausages ...

My BG readings are all running a bit high the last couple of days - doing less walking as my back spasms are dreadful - only other change is that I got some free apple cider vinegar capsules a month ago and just finished taking them ... I wonder if they were doing more than I thought ...

The sitagliptin is only 25mg - neither here nor there as a dosage (prescribed by the naff doctor at my surgery!) so no real side effects (or efficacy probably)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My FBG was 6.9 so I'm fasting. The purpose of the fast is to reduce or stop this DP. My aim is to have my next meal as breakfast on Thursday. I've never fasted this long before (willingly) so it should be interesting. So.... no food and only calorie free drinks plus a mug of Bovril if I get the wobbles.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My FBG was 6.9 so I'm fasting. The purpose of the fast is to reduce or stop this DP. My aim is to have my next meal as breakfast on Thursday. I've never fasted this long before (willingly) so it should be interesting. So.... no food and only calorie free drinks plus a mug of Bovril if I get the wobbles.
Does a total fast kick start weight loss as well or does your body think it is being starved? I keep meaning to watch Jason Fung's videos on the Diet Doctor site.
I stuck again with my weight

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does a total fast kick start weight loss as well or does your body think it is being starved? I keep meaning to watch Jason Fung's videos on the Diet Doctor site.
I stuck again with my weight

It does help with weight loss. I lost quite a bit about 18 months ago when doing a combo of low carbing and 5:2 intermittent fasting but I was getting more exercise at the time. At the moment, though, I'm doing it mainly to get my liver to stop this horrible DP.

I know from previous experience that hunger comes in waves and doesn't just keep on growing. I've never fasted for more than 24 hours but I understand it's actually easier on the second day - hmmmm we'll see. It will be interesting to see if I get any other liver dumps or whether it's a morning only thing somehow linked to my circadian rhythm.I

I'm going to test BG every two hours and maybe more frequently if I go low.I

I doubt I'll manage to complete it but I'll give it my best shot.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Total fast day 2 - down a pound which is neither here nor there and, while nice, isn't the reason I'm doing this. But..... my FBG this morning was 5.3!!!!!

Yesterday's hourly testing was strange, I didn't go down in to the high 4s until late evening - I get lower numbers when I eat VLC! Most of yesterday morning was spent waiting for yesterday's DP to go down then the afternoon/evening was spent between 5.3 and 5.5 - very level. The hunger only got a bit annoying at what should have been dinner time so I had a mug of Bovril and it went away. I am experiencing no hunger today whatsoever and even managed to sit and chat with Mr C while he was eating eggs, bacon, sausages, beans and mushrooms for breakfast.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Total fast day 2 - down a pound which is neither here nor there and, while nice, isn't the reason I'm doing this. But..... my FBG this morning was 5.3!!!!!

Yesterday's hourly testing was strange, I didn't go down in to the high 4s until late evening - I get lower numbers when I eat VLC! Most of yesterday morning was spent waiting for yesterday's DP to go down then the afternoon/evening was spent between 5.3 and 5.5 - very level. The hunger only got a bit annoying at what should have been dinner time so I had a mug of Bovril and it went away. I am experiencing no hunger today whatsoever and even managed to sit and chat with Mr C while he was eating eggs, bacon, sausages, beans and mushrooms for breakfast.
I had an odd day yesterday. I had 3 'blips' to 8.1 / 8.2 for a short time before it went down again. Reflected in the later figures though as I went to bed on 7 and FBG was also 7. It did drop overnight to 6 and was stable until the rise started about 6.30am.
Pre breakfast was 8.3 but it still rose for another 30 mins to 8.9 before it turned downwards again. Today is new sensor day so I had a lot of scans. Will have to do another finger prick soon to see where this one sits in consistency.
When do you get to eat again?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't understand why your FBG isn't going down more, it's not like you eat a lot in the evenings. Good luck with the new sensor. Is this one the last of your first order - will you be carrying on with them?

My BG is behaving totally different today. FBG was 5.3 then at 10am it had dropped to 4.5 so I started hourly testing - 11pm it was 6.7, noon was 5.3, 1pm was 4.2, 2pm was 5.6. So all over the place. I think my liver is giving me little dumps (hate that word) when my BG goes low. Hopefully emptying the glycogen reserves.

My fingers are starting to hurt so I'll be glad to get back to normal tomorrow. My next meal is tomorrow's breakfast - if it wasn't for the frequent finger prick tests and cold feet I think I'd carry on for another day as I'm not hungry at all today.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand why your FBG isn't going down more, it's not like you eat a lot in the evenings. Good luck with the new sensor. Is this one the last of your first order - will you be carrying on with them?

My BG is behaving totally different today. FBG was 5.3 then at 10am it had dropped to 4.5 so I started hourly testing - 11pm it was 6.7, noon was 5.3, 1pm was 4.2, 2pm was 5.6. So all over the place. I think my liver is giving me little dumps (hate that word) when my BG goes low. Hopefully emptying the glycogen reserves.

My fingers are starting to hurt so I'll be glad to get back to normal tomorrow. My next meal is tomorrow's breakfast - if it wasn't for the frequent finger prick tests and cold feet I think I'd carry on for another day as I'm not hungry at all today.
Believe me I don't get it either. I tend not to snack and I have no idea why I have these 'blip' days.
Yes this is the final Libre from the 1st batch but I have more on the way. I like being able to see what's going on so I am not ready to give them a rest just yet. There are these 'blip' moments I would possibly miss without the Libre. Maybe I don't have solutions yet but at least I know they are there whereas without it I would be relying on jabbing at the right point in time. Before Libre , like you, I was doing a lot of jabbing and all my fingers were bruised. Even the grandsons commented on all the little holes in my fingers. I was also getting quite obsessive about testing and I suspect that made matters even worse. I did worry that Libre would make me more obsessive but it is quite the opposite. I'm very relaxed - yes I scan a lot but that's because I can and my fingers are not getting sore in the process. I still jab pre bed , FBG and usually pre breakfast but rest of the time I let it go once I know how Libre is doing. At least everyone else has got used to seeing the sensor too so I'm not being asked 'what's that' every 2 mins. One day I may even find an answer to the blips

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think your blips are your liver generously giving you a helping hand now and then because it's not used to your BG being so low and I think that's what has been happening with mine today, too. Every time it gets down to 4.5 or below the next test is anything from 5.6 to 6.2 - but it comes down again very quickly so the one after that is in the mid 4s.. So not the same at all as yesterday when all my tests were very similar. Very odd.

I'm definitely not going to carry on for another day this week because I'm so cold but I might repeat it next week.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The answer to DP?
000279fcc66ee460d5e5d1d3f83a7ab3.jpg

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want one of those!

My FBG is back down to the 7s again - had fathead pizza last night and ate half of it (hubby away at his parents and I'm off to mine today so rest can be eaten in the car driving to London)

Interestingly my carbs only hit 17g yesterday while I had a lot more fat (was feeling a bit down with all my back issues etc so every cup of coffee had cream in it!)

I'm going to tackle some more DD recipes next week as I won't have any paperwork until the end of the week - although I'm involved in the vote counting for the local elections (not sure how the BG is going to cope with an overnighter) so that will limit the cooking

I fancy trying one of the pies and I'm definitely going to have a go at the lemon cloud pie - just need to buy some sweetener and guar gum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woke up with FBG of 4.8 which shot up to 6.4 due to a delay in having breakfast (eggs, bacon, chipolatas, mushrosms) cooked by Mr C who really doesn't 'get' the urgency of me having breakfast really quickly after getting up).

I have lost 4lbs which I'm guessing is probably mostly water but, at least temporarily, I weigh less than before I started DD. As soon as I had breakfast my feet and hands went back to normal. I will definitely do the same next week - it's much, much easier than 5:2 IF and because I knew I wouldn't be eating I didn't think about food all the time. Only some of it. ;) Jason Fung was right about not getting so many hunger waves on the second day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I want one of those!

My FBG is back down to the 7s again - had fathead pizza last night and ate half of it (hubby away at his parents and I'm off to mine today so rest can be eaten in the car driving to London)

Interestingly my carbs only hit 17g yesterday while I had a lot more fat (was feeling a bit down with all my back issues etc so every cup of coffee had cream in it!)

I'm going to tackle some more DD recipes next week as I won't have any paperwork until the end of the week - although I'm involved in the vote counting for the local elections (not sure how the BG is going to cope with an overnighter) so that will limit the cooking

I fancy trying one of the pies and I'm definitely going to have a go at the lemon cloud pie - just need to buy some sweetener and guar gum

I've made some of the pies. Both me 'n' Mr Chook agreed that the goats cheese and spinach one was the best. :)