Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin' All

Day 2 back on DD and am amazed how much better i feel.
Astonishing what a difference shaving those carbs down low enough makes... So much less apathy. The last few days have been relaxed but energyless.

Yesterday was Feta Burgers and salad with that lovely tomato cream ketchup
Today is chicken kebabs and celeriac chips. Only it wasn't. It was chicken and peppers stir fry with cubed celeriac in chipotle and smoked paprika (YUM!) steamed in its own moisture on the hob. Better than the chips, i reckon, and less washing up (which is a primary goal. Oh, and went for the wasabi mayo, instead of the Dill one, and even got Mr B to mix the mayo. It only seemed appropriate, since he has declared Wasabi Mayo to be the latest Best Thing Ever, so unless I showed him how to make it, i will be doomed to be w.Mayo chef for eternity.

Tomorrow will be pesto feta chicken and steamed curly kale.

Edited for spelling!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evenin' All

Day 2 back on DD and am amazed how much better i feel.
Astonishing what a difference shaving those carbs down low enough makes... So much less apathy. The last few days have been relaxed but energyless.

Yesterday was Feta Burgers and salad with that lovely tomato cream ketchup
Today is chicken kebabs and celeriac chips. Only it wasn't. It was chicken and peppers stir fry with cubed celeriac in chipotle and smoked paprika (YUM!) steamed in its own moisture on the hob. Better than the chips, i reckon, and less washing up (which is a primary goal. Oh, and went for the wasabi mayo, instead of the Dill one, and even got Mr B to mix the mayo. It only seemed appropriate, since he has declared Wasabi Mayo to be the latest Best Thing Ever, so unless I showed him how to make it, i will be doomed to be w.Mayo chef for eternity.

Tomorrow will be pesto feta chicken and steamed curly kale.

Edited for spelling!

Ooh - you've given me an idea of what to do with a couple of peppers lurking in the salad drawer

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Ooh - you've given me an idea of what to do with a couple of peppers lurking in the salad drawer

Are the lurkers green ones? I've always got leftover green peppers slowly wrinkling in my fridge.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to Lidl with OH to see what their geraniums were like. None left and what was there didn't look too good. So went for plants - came back with a garden parasol! Wish I'd stayed in though as I really feel yukky now. Still at least I got some high protein rolls while I was there. Took No 1 to school this morning and then I slept most of the morning. I think a hot shower and an early night is called for. Hubby reminded me that this cold was like this him him too - started to feel better then relapsed again. I can't say it cheered me up any. I know it's the congestion that is making me feel bad so a good steam will help.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wouldn't worry about the Lidl geraniums - there was loads at the Doncaster Lidl last weekend and they didn't look very well at all. I know geraniums thrive in dry conditions but I think they'd been at least a week without a drop of water. The best geraniums we've found (apart from Brigg Garden Centre) has been from B&Q. If you like fuchsias then Morrisons do a quite extensive range for £1 each and they are decent size small plants not tiddly little cuttings.

I think we are pretty much all set for the summer - all planters, tubs and hanging baskets are planted up and in position - all we need is a bit of sun now.

This warm damp weather is helping the veg plants along. My mangetout are even starting to flower!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't worry about the Lidl geraniums - there was loads at the Doncaster Lidl last weekend and they didn't look very well at all. I know geraniums thrive in dry conditions but I think they'd been at least a week without a drop of water. The best geraniums we've found (apart from Brigg Garden Centre) has been from B&Q. If you like fuchsias then Morrisons do a quite extensive range for £1 each and they are decent size small plants not tiddly little cuttings.

I think we are pretty much all set for the summer - all planters, tubs and hanging baskets are planted up and in position - all we need is a bit of sun now.

This warm damp weather is helping the veg plants along. My mangetout are even starting to flower!
We're heading to B&Q tomorrow if I feel OK. The hanging sleeves and pots have plants in but not enough for me. I want more trailers but I will probably get more for for the planters as well. I also need the stain for the garden furniture. For some reason Hubby likes to rub it down by hand rather than use an electric sander so that will keep him amused for a few days. I suspect we'll be back to Dobbies too but not tomorrow.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to have a go at this version. Just read it and her pictures It certainly looks like proper mash.

Looked like, texture was like and taste was yummy.

I used 200g of cauli, 10ml spoon of butter and 20ml of cream plus 25g of bog standard cheddar - scoffed the lot with my three Chipolatas

Susan Clarke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on a low carb diet for a year now. When I started my reading was 6.6 it has steadily been dropping and yesterday the doctor informed me that it is now 6.00. My aim is to come off Metformin, but the doctor wants to see me below 6.00 first and will be checking in 6 months time. The low carb diet really has worked for me and I would encourage any diabetic to take up the challenge.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Ultramum Ooohhhh! You're almost persuading me to give cauliflower mash another go. I have tried two or three recipes but I've always hated the texture (slimey with little lumps, ewwwww). But if this version is the same texture as normal mashed potatoes then it might be worth another experiment! :)

@maglil55 I hope you are feeling better. Your grandsons sound so sweet but toxic - I think it's them that you are getting all your bugs from.

It's raining here again today! And just to think it was only a couple of days ago that I was cursing having to water the garden every day.... @maglil55 Do you have a colour theme in your garden?

I developed a new ache over night - it's a burning feeling in my ankle and I can't rotate it properly. It feels a lot like a bad sprain but it can't be because I've only been in bed. :banghead:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook maybe you lay with your ankle wonky during the night? That happens to me sometimes, with my knees.

Had an interesting experience yesterday (between Libre sensors, so not testing). Had a good DD lunch of chicken, peppers, celeriac and wasabi mayo, so plenty of fuel on board. But then had a long, tiresome and extremely brain challenging afternoon - and it wiped me out. Utterly. like I was back in full blown keto flu, with aching limbs and exhaustion. No energy to cook, so ended up having some of Mr B's low carb cinnamon crunch breakfast cereal (homemade) for evening meal, but really didn't start to feel better til this morning after 9 hours sleep.

Of course, I should have tested, but didn't think of it at the time (you know how you don't...) although I suspect it was less to do with bg and more to do with unexpected brain draining aggro.

Will eat very well, and very keto today, and see what happens.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook - no , no colour theme just loads of colour. Came back with a load from B&Q. The trouble is when you have these 4 for £10 etc you keep buying so we ended up with 2 trolleys full. Had to get back to pick up No 2 from nursery and feed him. No about to swap him for No 1. Had 1/2 a lidl roll at lunchtime - first in ages - with pate and a tomato. Next to no effect on BG. Last night was better 6.8 bed FBG 6.7 and 7.2 pre breakfast. Breakfast put it to 8.1 but it soon fell again.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I skipped the 90% yesterday , mainly because I still felt yukky. Had 2 squares today though and once again dropped from 6.4 to 5.7 currently. I am beginning to live this 90%.
On the way to B&Q spotted the Sturgeon in town. Amazing to see how stage managed these 'campaign' visits are. Seen the photos and it looks like a crowd was there whereas it was a few activists that swooped in with their gazebo and flags , 2 BBC cameramen and about half a dozen photographers. Few well placed photos and they quickly swooped out again. Always knew all political meetings were 'managed' but never seen it in action before.

Reactions: Chook and Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ultramum Ooohhhh! You're almost persuading me to give cauliflower mash another go. I have tried two or three recipes but I've always hated the texture (slimey with little lumps, ewwwww). But if this version is the same texture as normal mashed potatoes then it might be worth another experiment! :)
She says in her post that it was the texture that put her off - the trick - according to her - is cooking in the M/W with no cover to prevent sogginess
I developed a new ache over night - it's a burning feeling in my ankle and I can't rotate it properly. It feels a lot like a bad sprain but it can't be because I've only been in bed. :banghead:

Gout?

It can join my knee cos that is all hot and painful but no obvious reason - just researching car parks in York for work next week as I don't think my back and knee are up to the 25 minute walk from the station to work ...and back again later!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Suggestions for good DD quick meals for the weekend? Paperwork arrived late again so going to be busy ...

On a lighter note - and totally off topic - Got off the train at Wakefield this morning and thought I spotted someone familiar I would be working with today. Thankfully I didn't bound up and greet him ... It was actually the Chancellor of the Exchequer... Which was probably why he looked familiar!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Suggestions for good DD quick meals for the weekend? Paperwork arrived late again so going to be busy ...

On a lighter note - and totally off topic - Got off the train at Wakefield this morning and thought I spotted someone familiar I would be working with today. Thankfully I didn't bound up and greet him ... It was actually the Chancellor of the Exchequer... Which was probably why he looked familiar!
Cheese filled chicken breast

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cheese-filled-chicken-breast

It is quick to make and really tasty. I don't use the cocktail stick. I either roll out bacon or parma ham and roll the stuffed breast in it (It stops the cheesy filling escaping)

Another quick one is the chilli salmon which I've also made with trout fillets. It's delicious cold with salad as well

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/chili-covered-salmon-with-spinach

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was looking at hamburger patties with creamy tomato sauce and cabbage. Thanks for the suggestions - will have a look