Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the feta, pesto, olive chicken tonight. The proper recipe is a real phaff, with a frying pan, casserole dish and all sorts of washing up and time. I just dice the chicken up and stir fry it, tip in the feta, olives, cream and seasonings, dump in some cauli rice, bring to simmer and serve over green veg. Delicious.

It was less than 15 mins, from first chop to serving.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm not getting Alerts for this thread.... I wonder why....

I did the feta, pesto, olive chicken tonight. The proper recipe is a real phaff, with a frying pan, casserole dish and all sorts of washing up and time. I just dice the chicken up and stir fry it, tip in the feta, olives, cream and seasonings, dump in some cauli rice, bring to simmer and serve over green veg. Delicious.

That sounds like a better idea - I might give it another try on an evening that Mr C isn't here. After all these years he recently (after doing lots of DD recipes) told me that he doesn't really like cream in recipes.... or wine..... or cheese..... or fruit in savoury dishes..... I wish he'd mentioned it 20 years ago. :(

I quite liked the DD burgers but I prefer lamb burgers with Moroccan type spices or beef burgers with a lump of Stilton hidden in the middle.... ooooh yeah!!

Its been a tough few days. Jack has decided he wants to be leader of our little pack and there's a bit of a power struggle going on. Not between me and him (he knows I'm his boss) but weirdly between Millie and him. She ended up actually biting him yesterday when tried to stop her having her dinner (he wouldn't let Archie have his, either, but Archie is like Dylan the laid back rabbit on the Magic Roundabout - he wasn't bothered). Millie didn't draw blood (thank goodness) but I've never known her bite anyone / anything before.

bdb33615e5dd6ba78af6dde43d880f63.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Suggestions for good DD quick meals for the weekend? Paperwork arrived late again so going to be busy ...

On a lighter note - and totally off topic - Got off the train at Wakefield this morning and thought I spotted someone familiar I would be working with today. Thankfully I didn't bound up and greet him ... It was actually the Chancellor of the Exchequer... Which was probably why he looked familiar!

I did that once when I worked in London - I came out of my office door out in to the Courtyard and there was someone I thought I knew so I greeted him, asked after his family, blah, blah, blah (like you do) then he said he had to get on - just as he was walking away I realised it was Mel Gibson. D'oh!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was looking at that yesterday

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exciting day today! I went to bed on 4.4 last night and woke up to an FBG of 5.5. I then had breakfast very quickly so didn't get any more DP. Then went out for some retail therapy and completely forgot to eat (I never thought I'd say that). When we got home I tested at 4.5 and thought about eating but didn't want to spoil my dinner. Mr C has nearly finished cooking dinner so I'd thought I'd test and i'm at 3.4 with no feelings of hunger or hypo. I don't know what I did right yesterday that set me up for all these lovely low readings today. I know I had a very low carb day yesterday but then most of my days are very low carb.... ????

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After the difference is opinion between Jack and Millie yesterday I really thought they weren't friends any more but Mr C tells me a German Shepherd starting growling at Jack this morning while they were all in their walk and snapped at him trying to get his neck. Mr C was just moving to calm things down when Millie raced to put herself between them and barked and growled at the GS until it gave up and ran off. Brave girl. :)

Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exciting day today! I went to bed on 4.4 last night and woke up to an FBG of 5.5. I then had breakfast very quickly so didn't get any more DP. Then went out for some retail therapy and completely forgot to eat (I never thought I'd say that). When we got home I tested at 4.5 and thought about eating but didn't want to spoil my dinner. Mr C has nearly finished cooking dinner so I'd thought I'd test and i'm at 3.4 with no feelings of hunger or hypo. I don't know what I did right yesterday that set me up for all these lovely low readings today. I know I had a very low carb day yesterday but then most of my days are very low carb.... ????
Maybe you have finally deflated the liver? Whatever the reason they are great figures.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tomorrow is going to be a diet doctor main for the masses. Having mentioned the stuffed chicken breast to @Ultramum decided that's what we will have tomorrow. Got some fresh sardines which I'll probably grill for a starter and I got the most enormous asperagus at Morrisons. I suspect 2 will be ample .

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tomorrow is going to be a diet doctor main for the masses. Having mentioned the stuffed chicken breast to @Ultramum decided that's what we will have tomorrow. Got some fresh sardines which I'll probably grill for a starter and I got the most enormous asperagus at Morrisons. I suspect 2 will be ample .

Your Sunday meals always found delish. I'm looking forward to roast chicken....

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might have a go at the chicken, pesto and feta thing next - got some feta left over from the burgers - which were absolutely delicious :)

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might have a go at the chicken, pesto and feta thing next - got some feta left over from the burgers - which were absolutely delicious :)
Yes - I thought these burgers tasted better than any I'd had before although I adjusted the sauce as that was too creamy. The chicken feta thingy is another good one but again I adjusted it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your Sunday meals always found delish. I'm looking forward to roast chicken....
As hubby says , you can't beat chicken! I've put together fish cakes as well for tomorrow - cod for everyone else , salmon for me. What they don't know is cauliflower mash is binding them together. So it's a small fishcake with sardines grilled with olive oil and garlic and to follow the Diet Doctor cheese stuffed chicken breast.
Alpro Soya have also brought out an ice cream. Got the coconut one in Tesco and it is really good. Not something for everyday but fine for an occasional dessert.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's better bed 5.2 FBG was 6.6 and pre breakfast 6.9. Must finally be getting over this bug.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Happy dance time.... :)

So, went to bed at 4.2 (again sleeping with a 9 bar and BG meter on the bookcase on the landing 'just in case'. Woke up fairly early with an FBG of 5.4. Mr C was just on his way out with the dogs for their big morning walk and jokingly asked if I wanted to go to (knowing the answer would be 'no'). I don't know who was more surprised when my mouth said 'yes'. :) The walk we did was one I have done many times before and I always think of as 'the short walk' it used to take me 40 minutes - this morning it took nearly two hours and my knees and right hip are letting me know it was much too much but my head feels like celebrating because I DID IT and it feels like a real victory.

Maybe I won't be so worried about going out on my own now (for a shorter walk) now I know what my BG does at this level.

When we got back my BG was 5.5 then we had a big breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes - 2 hours later my BG was 5.6. Just before lunch (a few nuts) I tested again at 4.7.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant news Chook. Perhaps it really is deflation time for our livers.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.7 lowest FBG yet! I've had two days of about 15g of carbs - not been hungry so missed lunch both days and then no Lidl roll snack. Plus DD recipe for tea - with a lot more fat than I have used so far ...

*happy dance*

Edited to say ... Bloods for Hbaic being taken on Thurs and MySugr app predicting 47.9 :)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This week, I'm back on DD fully. I've shopped for the whole of the week and last night made the burgers with fried cabbage - very nice, although I think when they say green cabbage they may mean what we know as white cabbage. The green seems to shrivel to nothing and the pics on the site look like white cabbage to me. Also for the cream/tomato sauce for the burgers I added some hot sauce and it gave a lovely creamy kick to the meal. Tonight is going to be the Asian cabbage stir fry :)