Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
yesterday was supposed to be the sausage and roasted med veg thing, but it all went pearshaped.

A friend popped round early evening and was invited to stay for dinner, but they had already eaten. So we waited til they had left before cooking. Which was a mistake, because by that time I was near chewing my right arm off, and ended up taking the easy option - sausage baked in oven, with scram eggs. Enjoyed it, but it meant no veg at all yesterday, since I had skipped breakfast AND lunch, as I often do.

Will be better organised today! lol

Surely your friend would have understood if you had said that you hadn't eaten? Anyway, sausages with scrambled eggs is nice and low carb - although I do understand what you are saying about lack of veg.

Are you back on to the fasting? Or wasn't skipping lunch and brekkie planned??

Mr C has had yet another shift change - now doing 1400 until 2300 (usually midnight before he gets away) - and he's chosen to have his main meal at lunchtime with just a filled Lidl protein roll snack at work. So I'm eating a few brazil and walnuts and a couple of squares of 90% for lunch while he's eating and I'm quite surprised at how full they keep me feeling (and how level my BG has been) - last night it was 7.30 before I even thought about dinner and I still wasn't particularly hungry when I ate it at 8pm. My BG was between 4.4 and 4.7 at every check from just before lunch until I went to bed.

Reactions: pms543 and Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The keto recipes are 20g or less daily seanj67. To be honest they are so tasty I certainly don't notice and eventually you get used to the carbs not being there.
The one thing I do get a longing for occasionally is a Scotch Pie from Morrison's Bakery - usually on a Saturday when I've been at swimming with the grandsons, out shopping and they are freshly made.
(@Chook - think I will have to make these Fathead dogs now )

I have made the Mummy Dogs (without the eyes) from the DD website and they were lovely but I used normal Asda chipolatas which are low carb. In fact they were so lovely that Mr C keeps on 'requesting' them but I find the cheese 'pastry' quite difficult to handle as it has to be wrapped round the sausages while its hot or it just cracks and falls off.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm thinking of growing some sprouting seeds on my kitchen counter near the window for use in salads and sandwiches. I've never done this before so I'm wondering if its a) easy to do and b) the sprouts have little affect on our BG??

I'm thinking of beetroot, pink kale, broccoli and rocket. I did also think about wheatgrass and pea sprouts but was a bit concerned (probably stupidly) that both wheat and peas are something I usually avoid - not sure about the sprouting seeds though? Anyone had any experience of this?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure the guest would have understood us eating in front of them, but I would have had to go into the kitchen and cook - and missed out on their company. :) meanwhile they continued to chat about interesting computer game stuff with Mr B, using the widescreen. lol.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am sure the guest would have understood us eating in front of them, but I would have had to go into the kitchen and cook - and missed out on their company. :) meanwhile they continued to chat about interesting computer game stuff with Mr B, using the widescreen. lol.

Yes, I see what you mean.... I think I'd have still had to eat something, even if it was only a few nuts. I hate feeling so hungry I struggle to think about anything else. Somehow its not the same when you've made a decision to fast - much like you said after returning from your visit to your relatives when you were hungry all the time. At least you made a wise choice with the sausages and scrambled eggs - its when I get over-hungry that I make really poor food decisions. So well done you!

Sassy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've done the 2 week challenge and also paid the monthly $9 membership fee. If you become a member you have full access to all the information on the site and all the recipes. New recipes seem to be added all the time and having new things to eat has made this very, very interesting. After 8 weeks I have lost 8 kg which I am fine with, dropped a dress size and my bolus insulin has dropped from 17 units over 3 meals (5,5,7) to 1 or 2 a day. I am now reducing the basal insulin too.

The shopping list works on the website too if you are a full member but it is not great if you want to change meals. For example I hate eating lunch, which is the same as dinner the night before so the shopping list does not work for me. Also once a month you are able to ask Andreas Einfeldt questions. I've not used that yet but am sure that in time I will.

The one thing that I really like about using these recipes are that they are really generous so I never, ever get hungry.

One last thing, my husband was diagnosed in mid February as being diabetic. His check up was earlier this week and despite him not completely following the LCHF diet, he does love his cake and desserts, his tests show that he is now pre diabetic. I'm hoping that by his next check up he will be told to go away as he's no longer diabetic. :)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for my ignorance but how did you find out your HbA1c?? Am assuming it wasn't via a Doctor....

It was via the doctor surgery 3/12 after starting low carb - looked the result up online

pms543

Ah I understand , thanks ultramum

Must enquirer if ours have that facility

Am going to attempt to make the pizza on diet doctor , for those who have made it previously are there any tips or ideas you found, for it to be successful please share
thank you

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Am going to attempt to make the pizza on diet doctor , for those who have made it previously are there any tips or ideas you found, for it to be successful please share
thank you

I make it as written but I then turn it over and cook the underneath until lightly brown. It stops it having a 'soggy bottom'. I'm also quite generous with the mozzarella and other toppings. I hope you enjoy it. :)

pms543

I make it as written but I then turn it over and cook the underneath until lightly brown. It stops it having a 'soggy bottom'. I'm also quite generous with the mozzarella and other toppings. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Thanks chook , was also wondering if use grated mozzarella all the white ball stuff and grate?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks chook , was also wondering if use grated mozzarella all the white ball stuff and grate?

I've used both pre-grated and the whole balls for both bottoms and toppings. If I am organised enough what I do now is use the pre-grated for the base and the whole balls thickly sliced for the topping. For me the pre-grated makes a better base whereas I love that stringy ooziness of the proper mozzarella on top. I think it's just personal preference (and what I have in the fridge and freezer).

Reactions: Ultramum and pms543

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
(this is not a "reply" to a comment but for the life of me I cant see how to post a question!)
Hi, I see a lot of organised ppl in this thread who cook for themselves (and "hubbies" and plus One, minus 2 etc).
My working hours at present are long and I don't have time to prepare cooked meals every day.
Does anyone think is possible -or has anyone- followed the Diet Doctor programme without daily cooked meals?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(this is not a "reply" to a comment but for the life of me I cant see how to post a question!)
Hi, I see a lot of organised ppl in this thread who cook for themselves (and "hubbies" and plus One, minus 2 etc).
My working hours at present are long and I don't have time to prepare cooked meals every day.
Does anyone think is possible -or has anyone- followed the Diet Doctor programme without daily cooked meals?

I follow 'the spirit' of DD in that I eat very low carb and use a lot of their recipes. I tend to eat a lot of grilled meats or casseroles and fresh salad or veg - usual cooking time is 10 to 20 minutes - although both last night and tonight I'm having a spicy lamb and aubergine casserole done in the slow cooker accompanied by some cauliflower rice (fried in garlic and chilli oil). I'm very much a 'Nigella' kind of cook - just bung it all in plus spices and hope for the best.)

Maybe you could do some batch cooking (for freezing) when you have the time. My husband works a regular 3pm to midnight shift and either has an early big lunch at home or late dinner at work. Although he's not over weight nor does he have diabetes, he prefers low carb food as it makes him feel much healthier and less bloated (he's also lost his love handles) - so I cook up great vats of chilli, curries, casseroles and roast chicken (taking the meat off the bone when cool) or meatloaf or whatever he likes and freeze them in portions so he can just grab one and some salad - or frozen vegies which he can zap in his work's canteen's microwave or our one at home. I use both the oven and slow cooker for this bulk cooking and usually do 4 to 6 different dishes of about eight helpings x twice a month.

Alternatively.... I have low carbed while working some pretty awful shifts myself and for a long while I relied entirely on supermarket deli meats or cold roast chicken / beef and salads which I used to take to work. Lidl do a high protein roll which is great filled with cheese or cold meats and a salad.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I should has said.... to post a new thread you should go to the forum which is closest to what you want to post about (for instance you could have posted this one in the low carb forum) then there is a 'post a new thread' (or something like that) button at the top of the forum. - I hope this rather muddle explanation helps. :)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Snap - but I turn it over after the cooking time and put the ingredients on the bottom side so that the new bottom cooks with the toppings.

I don't bother rolling the mix out with a rolling pin - just shove it on the baking paper on top of my round 'holey' pizza baking tray and squash it out to an even round shape through the top piece of paper.

Enjoy!

Reactions: pms543