Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I made the blueberry and cream cheese plait using a version of the Fathead pastry, it had a soggy bottom.
But I cooked it on a silicone sheet.
I'm wondering if I baked it on a metal tray, whether it would crisp up underneath better, with the improved heat conduction of the tray... will report back when I do the recipe again.

I always flip the Fathead pizza base too, only putting the toppings on when both sides have browned.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I made the blueberry and cream cheese plait using a version of the Fathead pastry, it had a soggy bottom.
But I cooked it on a silicone sheet.
I'm wondering if I baked it on a metal tray, whether it would crisp up underneath better, with the improved heat conduction of the tray... will report back when I do the recipe again.

I always flip the Fathead pizza base too, only putting the toppings on when both sides have browned.

Brunneria - If you have a look a the brand "Perfobake" you'll see they do perforated baking sheets and tins. They're perfect for helping prevent soggy bottoms.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria - If you have a look a the brand "Perfobake" you'll see they do perforated baking sheets and tins. They're perfect for helping prevent soggy bottoms.

ooh! thank you. Will go and look now...

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
thank u very much Chook for the answer, much appreciated.
One day i ll work out this website!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Was in on this thread we were talking about garden centres? Over the last few days I've started to feel like a garden centre expert as we've been going to every centre in a 30 mile radius to try to find me a reasonably priced fig tree (once Mr C gets a bee in his bonnet there's no stopping him). Yesterday was Brigg Garden Centre and today was Dobbie's at Chesterfield. There is absolutely no question that Brigg is better although Dobbie's comes a good second. As for the garden centres in Wetherby and Howden..... no comparison.

At the end of it Mr C says he'll get a fig tree from eBay as the only garden centre that had one was Brigg but it was £150 and I'm not prepared to gamble away that money on the Yorkshire climate - but I bought a pink climbing rose for the garage wall called 'Aloha'.

Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was in on this thread we were talking about garden centres? Over the last few days I've started to feel like a garden centre expert as we've been going to every centre in a 30 mile radius to try to find me a reasonably priced fig tree (once Mr C gets a bee in his bonnet there's no stopping him). Yesterday was Brigg Garden Centre and today was Dobbie's at Chesterfield. There is absolutely no question that Brigg is better although Dobbie's comes a good second. As for the garden centres in Wetherby and Howden..... no comparison.

At the end of it Mr C says he'll get a fig tree from eBay as the only garden centre that had one was Brigg but it was £150 and I'm not prepared to gamble away that money on the Yorkshire climate - but I bought a pink climbing rose for the garage wall called 'Aloha'.
I think it was. We don't have a Brigg so I'm none the wiser. We do have a few independents that are good though.

pms543

Am so bad!

Due to slight change on meds and health issue I got side tracked into a carb binge lasting several days
Needless to say my BGs went up into silly numbers and I felt awful

Took me a few days to acknowledge and so started again today

Got myself confused as wether to do DD or BSD so have decided to not count calories but avoid the carb culprits and start off eating foods I know will enjoy including some DD recipes

I am more concerned getting the bgs down as due my HBA1c next month!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am so bad!

Due to slight change on meds and health issue I got side tracked into a carb binge lasting several days
Needless to say my BGs went up into silly numbers and I felt awful

Took me a few days to acknowledge and so started again today

Got myself confused as wether to do DD or BSD so have decided to not count calories but avoid the carb culprits and start off eating foods I know will enjoy including some DD recipes

I am more concerned getting the bgs down as due my HBA1c next month!
I used to get tempted to go "off piste" just to make sure I was still feeling bad for a couple of days. Since switching to diet doctor I'm not tempted at all and I have learned so much that I now find it easy to adapt recipes.
I still get unexplained blips but nothing near as bad as I was.

Reactions: pms543

pms543

I used to get tempted to go "off piste" just to make sure I was still feeling bad for a couple of days. Since switching to diet doctor I'm not tempted at all and I have learned so much that I now find it easy to adapt recipes.
I still get unexplained blips but nothing near as bad as I was.

So you generally just follow DD recipes .... what do you do for drinks? As in Tea/coffee

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you generally just follow DD recipes .... what do you do for drinks? As in Tea/coffee
I changed to black coffee with a dash of double cream. Tea I have taken black with no sugar for 42 years now (reason I know that is we went to Poland for our Honeymoon and that's how they took their tea. Once we got back tea with milk tasted horrible). I used to drink a less sugar latte until I discovered it was still 6g carbs and was making my morning readings worse.
I also drink loads of water. That's a throwback to work as I did a lot of presenting to big audiences so you needed the water.
DD has a lot of fat. Much as I love the recipes there was too much fat for me so I reduced it. E.g. they saute veg in butter - I don't , I steam it and add a little butter on serving. There's a load of us been on DD for ages so ask anything you like.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And their low carb challenge is a great way to get into it. Gives you shopping lists, recipes everything and it's a lot of food (and eggs and cabbage )

pms543

Maghill I enjoy my machine coffee with cream prob have 2 x a day
Cannot do black tea ...yet lol

Have spent more time on DD And love the sound of some recipes , by the way after the above porridge it hardly shifted my bgs so pleased with that, was previously having stewed rhubarb and fage but bgs crept up and up

I seem to have lost 1.3kg in 24hrs too!!!!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a Tassimo user - probably 3 a day. Not eaten yet today as I'm off to aqua and I'm too drained from watching the results to bother. Maybe later once I get a nap if I'm lucky.

pms543

Just wondered if those of you who have done DD , where I can find more info on applying the menus
I understand the layout of 3 meals a day but it doesn't seem idiot proof enough for someone like me or maybe am missing the point

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just wondered if those of you who have done DD , where I can find more info on applying the menus
I understand the layout of 3 meals a day but it doesn't seem idiot proof enough for someone like me or maybe am missing the point

The way I interpreted it was scrambled eggs / eggs and bacon for breakfast, microwaved hot or just cold leftovers from the previous day's dinner for lunch and then a freshly cooked dinner each evening.

So, for two people you would cook four portions of dinner, two portions fresh cooked straight away and two for next days lunch. Don't make the mistake I did -if you read right at the beginning of this thread you'll see that I was cooking 6 portions at a time for the first week because I didn't realise their shopping list automatically calculated for the lunch portions. And, memorably, with the cabbage. I've not eaten cabbage since. :(

Reactions: maglil55 and pms543

pms543

Thanks Chook
I think am wondering if a desert or pudding is counted in already as part of a meal? then that may up the calorie intake - in saying that I would prob only do strawberries n cream type and the occasional strati cake slice ...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Chook
I think am wondering if a desert or pudding is counted in already as part of a meal? then that may up the calorie intake - in saying that I would prob only do strawberries n cream type and the occasional strati cake slice ...

I don't think so although @maglil55. and @Brunneria are more knowledgeable than me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think so although @maglil55. and @Brunneria are more knowledgeable than me.
Not in the early weeks. It's OK with things like a couple of Walnuts for a snack or extra above ground veg or a simple salad (I know - I asked them). For the first 3 weeks I did stick to the recipe food apart from adding veg. Rule is you only eat when you are hungry. If you are no longer hungry stop eating. So for me to have a couple of Walnuts I had to be hungry. To be honest there is so much food I soon found myself skipping or reducing lunch as I just wasn't hungry (except when it was that chilli salmon as that was wonderful cold the next day). I think we all ended up adjusting it . So try if at all possible to stick to what they suggest for the first few weeks. You can add things later.