Dieting 'n Glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im starting to think Drs might have got the advice wrong for the liver foods to avoid as they have for the diabetes must eat carbs rules. The liver got blocked because there were too many carbohydrates for the fat to be used up. The body likes to use carbs first, then fats then proteins for its energy supplies. If you have too much glucose floating around it makes fats and doesnt use fat but stores it. Cutting out the carbohydrates makes the amino acids for fat burning. Feeding more fats in will make more amino acids to burn the fats from the cells that are storing it so long as it is not processing carbohydrates. If your body is using up carbs it stops the production of fat burning animo acids and stores the fat as fat. It takes between 8-48hrs to digest fats. (30mins for fruit and veg 3-4hrs for carbs) So what you eat in fat today might not reach your liver until 48hrs after you have eaten it forcing the liver to burn fats. The first supply of the fat it will find is the fatty liver. Therefore cleaning the liver first until the digestion gets the energy supply to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxfactor

But that's the thing with saturated fats, they are much more stable. I use lard, coconut oil, duck fat or ghee for frying on higher temperatures, otherwise mostly olive oil or butter. Organic, of course.
Fat is good for you. Stop worrying.

Ghee made from cows, fed on grain: result Omega 6 fat. Milk heated to high temperature for pasteurization: oxidation; now at -46 inflammation index. Boiled again for a long period to reduce liquid. more oxidation. Frying at high temperature an already twice heated fat, even more oxidation.
And the butter is only one step less than that.
Good luck with eating them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a bit of evidence to show that the LCHF diet is good for a fatty liver.. one such example here.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-diet-best-fatty-liver

Also if you watch some of Dr Jason Fung's videos there is mention there of the success he has had with people loosing liver fat. I can;t remember exactly where so can't post a link. If you are interested in fasting then you could do a lot worse than watch his lectures on youtube. It may seem counter intuitive but some people find it works for them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, as others have said you need to step back from thinking fats cause a fatty liver. The main cause of a fatty liver will probably be excess carbs and in particular fructose. If you Google the web you will find a lot of articles explaining how the body metabolises fats versus carbs

Maxfactor

It takes between 8-48hrs to digest fats. (30mins for fruit and veg 3-4hrs for carbs) So what you eat in fat today might not reach your liver until 48hrs after you have eaten it forcing the liver to burn fats. The first supply of the fat it will find is the fatty liver. Therefore cleaning the liver first until the digestion gets the energy supply to it.

I don't believe is is possible to clean out the liver fat in one go especially one that has been fatty for many years or decades. Therefore, when the fat reaches the liver even partially cleaned out of fat, it will meet more fat and block again. I would have thought that until the liver is somehow cleaned out of fat completely, it will accumulate more fat too easily, if there is still fat within it.

Maxfactor

Hi. Yes, as others have said you need to step back from thinking fats cause a fatty liver. The main cause of a fatty liver will probably be excess carbs and in particular fructose. If you Google the web you will find a lot of articles explaining how the body metabolises fats versus carbs
Yes I know that. I'm not talking about the cause, I'm talking about trying to clear out a liver already blocked with fat. Keeping more fats away from it until it is cleared out.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know that. I'm not talking about the cause, I'm talking about trying to clear out a liver already blocked with fat. Keeping more fats away from it until it is cleared out.
That won't work. Sorry, it just won't.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ghee made from cows, fed on grain: result Omega 6 fat. Milk heated to high temperature for pasteurization: oxidation; now at -46 inflammation index. Boiled again for a long period to reduce liquid. more oxidation. Frying at high temperature an already twice heated fat, even more oxidation.
And the butter is only one step less than that.
Good luck with eating them.
So stick with organic virgin coconut oil then.

Maxfactor

Email from my GP: "Cholesterol is also elevated with LDL 3.6 , target of 1.8 for a diabetic patient".
I know there is a current trend to ignore this advice based on a desire to believe that the original studies were flawed and hence
fill the gap left from the reduced carbs.
I used to believe that too, but now I'm not so sure. My new GP seems like a smart guy....do I believe my GP or do I ignore him.
hmm....

Maxfactor

So stick with organic virgin coconut oil then.

"The research isn't entirely clear on this point, but it seems the fatty acids found in coconut oil do raise LDL – bad cholesterol – as do other saturated fats, like butter. So it's fair to say if you suddenly swap your olive oil for coconut oil, it's not going to do your cholesterol levels any favours and in particular, your levels of bad cholesterol will go up".

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2008/09/25/2372372.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't believe is is possible to clean out the liver fat in one go especially one that has been fatty for many years or decades. Therefore, when the fat reaches the liver even partially cleaned out of fat, it will meet more fat and block again. I would have thought that until the liver is somehow cleaned out of fat completely, it will accumulate more fat too easily, if there is still fat within it.
Not saying it will happen over night but its setting the right track. My blood glucose levels arent resetting just because I quit carbs over night, it takes time. There are no such pills/diets as mirical pill/diets that clean up years of abuse.

Maxfactor

B******t. I live on the stuff and have never before had so good cholesterol as I now.
Notwithstanding your bad language, I don't think a study comprising only one person would hold much water with the medical profession and I for one am not going against my doctor's advice in place of yours.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love people who talk about LDL and HDL as good and bad. They are the same substance chemically but one is for the use of carrying proteins in the body to fuel the cells - LDL and HDL the transporting of LDL when the cells have too much back to the liver to go through waste management. New scientist research are saying all LDL isnt bad. The small particle LDL is the bad that catches in artery walls and fools the HDL as its being used. This is why eggs have gone back on the menu as safe to eat.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not saying it will happen over night but its setting the right track. My blood glucose levels arent resetting just because I quit carbs over night, it takes time. There are no such pills/diets as mirical pill/diets that clean up years of abuse.
If you dont feed on the fats you wont get the animo acid triggers from the digestion process. You can aways carry on the way you want and ignore every ones advice after all 1 Dr isnt every Dr and every person is different.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand your concerns. IF you have fat on your body to burn then it will make ketones for fuel and you don't need large amounts of dietary fat. Personally I need to stick to mono fats such as avocado, EVOO and a few nuts. I eat a lot of salmon for Omega 3. Grass fed beef has the same Omega 6 as regular but is much higher in 3's and usually leaner. You can eat other fish such as cod, tilapia, white fish or shrimp that are all low fat.
As far as albumin leaking I had that too at diagnosis. I took Lisinopril for about a year and albumin is perfect (kidney). Getting Vit D checked is important. I would definitely request that test as D had a lot to do with many things and tends to be low in diabetics.
Your CHO and liver may be a bit more taxed right now as you have body fat floating around and this generally levels out as weight loss stops.
You still need to eat food. I used to love fasting from dinner until lunch and no snacks with 2 sensible meals a day. I felt it gave my organs time to clear, kept BS great, lost weight and wasn't brutal on the body. I still lke small meals as they seem to clear better.
For BF I have 1/2 large avocado with celery and radish. Lunch is salmon ( I cook a bunch and freeze in serving sized bags. I like it cold on salad much better than canned) Turkey, tuna or chicken on a lettuce wrap with 1T mayo and some hot sauce. Dinner is the same but a little more protein and veg. IF I need snacks I have a few olives or pumpkin seeds. I also have a cocktail, either wine or vodka and water with dinner.
Lemon water is great for flushing kidneys ( I just add vodka haha)
I think the next thing for you is to get your Vit D checked. As soon as I got mine up over 50 lots of things got better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to everyone who has made such helpful suggestions and given such excellent advice on this thread.

Not your fault if it is falling on stony ground.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.