Do cigarettes really contain sugar ?

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a social smoker nowadays and my mum has just called me to say that Cigarettes contain sugar !!! Did anyone else already know this ? Trying my best to give up completely but I find if I meet up with anyone who smokes, I have one too :-(

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have smoked for years and have never heard this before.

Reactions: Dodo

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
There is no sugar in cigarettes but the chemicals and /or nicotine can raise blood sugars. I smoked for a period after diagnosis and my BS was uncontrollable.

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have smoked for years and have never heard this before.
I have looked on the web and apparently it is used in the tip so that the tobacco is not bitter !

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no sugar in cigarettes but the chemicals and /or nicotine can raise blood sugars. I smoked for a period after diagnosis and my BS was uncontrollable.
Why does it say that there is sugar in the tip to prevent bitterness on the web and where did you find out that there was no sugar. Thanks, Julie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the nicotine and 300+ other chemicals in cigarettes are more of a problem than any trace sugars.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Reactions: kitedoc

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I didn't, t know that about cigarrettes

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This from a report on cigarettes and toxicity
Scientific assessment of the use of sugars as cigarette tobacco ingredients: A review of published and other publicly available studies

"Sugars, such as sucrose or invert sugar, have been used as tobacco ingredients in American-blend cigarettes to replenish the sugars lost during curing of the Burley component of the blended tobacco in order to maintain a balanced flavor. Chemical-analytical studies of the mainstream smoke of research cigarettes with various sugar application levels revealed that most of the smoke constituents determined did not show any sugar-related changes in yields (per mg nicotine),"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296517/

WexTom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Off the Gigs 3 and half weeks now! And Vaping any stats or info on this? Don't plan to stay on the E-Cig but it helps big time for now along with all the other changes..just diagnosed so all going Ho at the moment!

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have saw a lot of things in the news about those e-cig things exploding. 1 in a guys trouser pocket, burnt his leg pretty badly & another in a womans handbag.

Luckily for me cigs have never made a difference to my bg levels so reckon I will stick with them then go cold turkey

Richard36

Final week of champex this week, can't recommend it enough. Only side effect is mad dreams.
Get to the doc's and ask them about it, really good not smoked for ten weeks and don't feel the need to.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What!!:eek: How come?! I used to smoke but have never heard about this. Does it affect sugar levels? Its not really consumed when smoking, is it?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I didn't know cigarettes contained sugar, I am so glad I gave them up, but it's the other chemicals in cigarettes that I was worried about and they used to be called coffin nails too ( maybe they still are ?) :yuck::yuck::yuck:

NurseMomX3

Unfortunately you are incorrect, there IS a sugar in cigarettes. That's right. It’s the white processed sugar in cigarettes that’s prematurely aging and killing you, not just the “tar” and “nicotine”. Smokers and diabetics are unaware of the sugar in smokes undermining their health. Although there is not an ingredient list on the packs or cartons, 99.9% of cigarettes contain sugar/processed sugar. And each cigarette contains at least 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar. World's number 2 sugar customer - the tobacco industry.

NurseMomX3

What!!:eek: How come?! I used to smoke but have never heard about this. Does it affect sugar levels? Its not really consumed when smoking, is it?
Absolutely effects blood sugar!! There is 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in each cigarette! You didn’t know or hear about it because they don’t want us to know, there is no ingredient list on the packs. And there are approximately 7,000 chemicals in cigarettes!! Be glad you quit dear and congrats!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

upload_2018-10-29_15-31-29.jpeg
www.yoga-anatomy.com
Abstract. Sugars naturally occur in tobacco leaf but are also commonly added to cigarettes by tobacco companies. Added sugar increases levels of toxic chemicals in cigarette smoke. Little is known about smokers' knowledge of added sugar in cigarettesand awareness of its effects.17 Oct 2018
Knowledge and Awareness of Added Sugar in Cigarettes | Nicotine ...

https://academic.oup.com/ntr/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ntr/.../5133585

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think the sugar is the LEAST of your problems with cigarettes