Type 1 Do I need to take my bra off???

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think what I find really embarrassing too on this subject is when you're laying in ER with your top off because they're just doing an ECG and they haven't **** well shut the curtains properly..... one time they were pushing this guy in a bed past my bed and I nearly had a fit... but luckily he didn't even look as he was too sick himself obviously. I'm hardly an exhibitionist and very private as I mentioned before. The nurses had gone off and left me... one said she was going to find a gown for me. The problem I have is that I can't raise my voice or anything for help and they didn't give me a nurse call button... so it was a case of wait until someone noticed and shut the curtains for me... they eventually did. I was too sick obviously to move otherwise I would've tried to do it myself. But sometimes I think the medical professionals don't give thought to how we feel in these situations. I even pleaded once if I could please leave my bra on... nope it had to come off.

Reactions: 4 people

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think what I find really embarrassing too on this subject is when you're laying in ER with your top off because they're just doing an ECG and they haven't **** well shut the curtains properly..... one time they were pushing this guy in a bed past my bed and I nearly had a fit... but luckily he didn't even look as he was too sick himself obviously. I'm hardly an exhibitionist and very private as I mentioned before. The nurses had gone off and left me... one said she was going to find a gown for me. The problem I have is that I can't raise my voice or anything for help and they didn't give me a nurse call button... so it was a case of wait until someone noticed and shut the curtains for me... they eventually did. I was too sick obviously to move otherwise I would've tried to do it myself. But sometimes I think the medical professionals don't give thought to how we feel in these situations. I even pleaded once if I could please leave my bra on... nope it had to come off.
Unfortunately its all part of a wider problem in which women are prejudice against in law/rule making. Found this interesting article.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/health-hands-off-my-chest-doctor-1177987.html

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi new to the forum and touchy subject so please be nice.....

Recently, I had my first checkup with the consultant at my local diabetes clinic.

During the appointment i was asked to take off my top and bra so that the doctor could perform a heart examination.

So my question is....has everyone had to take their bra off for this examination? I tried to ask at my clinic if this was standard practice and was told that some doctors ask for bra off and others don't...?? This response has not made it clear to me if this examination was necessary, so i thought it would be great if i could hear from other female patients....

Did you have to take your bra off??

I've already been treated like an 'attention seeker' or 'crazy' or a 'drama queen' for talking about this subject ( so if thats your planned chip in, ive heard it)
In fact, i have found every part of the process (including writing this post) very scary and not enjoyable in the least, i also seem to have destroyed any chance of receiving fair and kind treatment from my hospital, so i find it hard to believe that anyone would ask these questions for a giggle....im not laughing!!!
Never. And it's completely unnecessary. I definitely would complain.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Unfortunately its all part of a wider problem in which women are prejudice against in law/rule making. Found this interesting article.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/health-hands-off-my-chest-doctor-1177987.html

Just read the article and some very interesting points from both sides, but I do agree with the latter part and if it is offered then an explanation as why it is being offered, and consent from patient for doing this.
I had found a couple of small lumps months ago, even though I like my GP, a male, as I was going to be handled, I booked an appointment with a female GP, and all was well.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just read the article and some very interesting points from both sides, but I do agree with the latter part and if it is offered then an explanation as why it is being offered, and consent from patient for doing this.
I had found a couple of small lumps months ago, even though I like my GP, a male, as I was going to handled, I booked an appointment with a female GP, and all was well.
Yeah definitely, i liked the point they made that a man would only be checked if he showed symptoms, where it had been a policy to check all women, symptomless or not, and regardless of whether they matched age criteria.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it was totally wrong and unnecessary. I thought in this day and age of everyone wanting to sue for something, most GPs would (or should) request that a nurse was present at any examination that involved exposing intimate parts, for their own protection and you would certainly have been within your rights to request it. Trouble is, you don't think of it at the time when you're under stress.

I had it happen to me when I was in my 20s when the old GP told me to remove "this" indicating my bra when it wasn't necessary. Came out feeling a bit "violated" but kept quiet about it as I wasn't savvy enough to do anything about it.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think it was totally wrong and unnecessary. I thought in this day and age of everyone wanting to sue for something, most GPs would (or should) request that a nurse was present at any examination that involved exposing intimate parts, for their own protection and you would certainly have been within your rights to request it. Trouble is, you don't think of it at the time when you're under stress.

I had it happen to me when I was in my 20s when the old GP told me to remove "this" indicating my bra when it wasn't necessary. Came out feeling a bit "violated" but kept quiet about it as I wasn't savvy enough to do anything about it.

Sorry to hear that :( that's the thing isn't it, speaking up, some can and some can't, or just couldn't, especially decades ago. Unfortunately, females in the past, the present and the future will still get violated in some way or another. It's a sad and often a disturbing fact, even though we are in the 21 st century :(

Reactions: 5 people

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1

That's my concern, that its mainly happening to younger girls, who are probably more hard wired to accept and follow any authority figure and not always question straight away someones intentions.

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story. I had been thinking it was a little strange not more women had experiences of taking their bra off unnecessarily, but then i remembered that its still really scary speaking up and fearing possible consequences, so thank you xxx

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds weird to me. I've never taken my bra off to have my heart listened to - not in the hospital and not in my GP's surgery. I can't think why it'd be necessary.

I know the fear is a pervy doctor, but it could be that he's just incredibly insensitive. Some people's bedside manner is very lacking and they don't even stop to think of how the patient is feeling.

But whatever the reason, you're doing the right thing questioning it. Nobody should be made to feel awkward or embarrassed like that.

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a little update. Managed to speak to another diabetes doctor about the 'some do, some don't rule' on taking your bra off for this examination. She said, personally, she doesn't ask for bra off, but she knows that other doctors do, although she seemed pretty surprised that I had had this level of examination without presenting symptoms or any family history of heart disease.
So it seems the 'some do, some don't' rule is what we're stuck with, although i have found other data online that says the examination is not done this way anymore, so its mainly creepy doctors or out of touch ones that need to see your **** to get a proper heart reading, either way, not good.
It seems you may be asked to take off your bra. So i just wanted to remind you, and myself, that you don't have to be miss obedient in the doctors office, they are powerful people, but they are not police, you haven't done anything wrong, and you don't have to do everything you're told to do without question, you can take control of whats happening (after all we know better than anyone else about managing our own health) . If the doctor doesn't accept this, or gets annoyed, or you feel coerced in any way, then you're probably dealing with a creepy doctor and i suggest you RUN!! x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Just a little update. Managed to speak to another diabetes doctor about the 'some do, some don't rule' on taking your bra off for this examination. She said, personally, she doesn't ask for bra off, but she knows that other doctors do, although she seemed pretty surprised that I had had this level of examination without presenting symptoms or any family history of heart disease.
So it seems the 'some do, some don't' rule is what we're stuck with, although i have found other data online that says the examination is not done this way anymore, so its mainly creepy doctors or out of touch ones that need to see your **** to get a proper heart reading, either way, not good.
It seems you may be asked to take off your bra. So i just wanted to remind you, and myself, that you don't have to be miss obedient in the doctors office, they are powerful people, but they are not police, you haven't done anything wrong, and you don't have to do everything you're told to do without question, you can take control of whats happening (after all we know better than anyone else about managing our own health) . If the doctor doesn't accept this, or gets annoyed, or you feel coerced in any way, then you're probably dealing with a creepy doctor and i suggest you RUN!! x
I agree 100%. Even if they're not creepy, they are out of touch, and they clearly don't stop to think what it's like for the patient. They are supposed to think about what it's like for the patient. If they don't innately know how to do this they should ask for help. Often, nurses are better able to see things from the patient's point of view when it comes to these things. The right response to your complaint would have been to educate the doctor, and all of them, and to thank you for raising the issue.

There are some women who would be really upset about complying with this request, because of cultural restrictions, or personal reasons. Some children and teenagers have heart conditions - can you imagine a 13 year old girl feeling ok about removing her bra?

If a doctor asks a woman to remove her bra, she should feel comfortable asking why, and the doctor should explain the options and provide a solution. The problem could be avoided altogether by explaining at the start that it's necessary to get an accurate result, and that a gown will be provided.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No I don't think that you need to remove normal as well as sports bra.

Hi Tony, this thread is over 4 years old and most of the contributors no longer post on the forum