Type 1 Do the Diabetes Clinic know when you upload your pump?

Sp00kySk311y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know everything about diabetes just because they are older.
People who think you don’t know anything about diabetes so they test you.
If you don't tell them you've uploaded it, do they somehow know? Or is it something you have to tell them you've done?

Just trying to work out if they already know or if I have to tell them.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you particularly need to discuss something with them you don’t have to tell them it’s uploaded. They probably won’t know it’s uploaded as they will have a lot of patients and won’t individually check to see if each patient has uploaded their data.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I have to specifically tell my hospital clinic that I've uploaded my data to medtronics site (as I have a medtronic pump and sensors) - my consultant normally says to let them know a day or two before my appointment

Sp00kySk311y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know everything about diabetes just because they are older.
People who think you don’t know anything about diabetes so they test you.
I know I have to specifically tell my hospital clinic that I've uploaded my data to medtronics site (as I have a medtronic pump and sensors) - my consultant normally says to let them know a day or two before my appointment
They just tell me to upload it every week, but I don’t see what the point is because if they’re not going to see it or purposely look at it then why?
I don’t always email them now as I started having anxiety attacks when I did due to their treatment of me most of the time and making me feel like a problem/burden.

• Hug
Reactions: oldgreymare

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say “it depends”.
My previous pump was taken off me when I turned up at the clinic for a download as my blood pressure was taken.
My current pump has Bluetooth connection to a phone app and uploads automatically.
So it definitely depends upon the features of the pump.
But I would also suggest it depends on your clinic and how proactive they are.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They just tell me to upload it every week, but I don’t see what the point is because if they’re not going to see it or purposely look at it then why?
I don’t always email them now as I started having anxiety attacks when I did due to their treatment of me most of the time and making me feel like a problem/burden.
It may be that the data will be lost/overwritten on the device if you don't upload it reasonably often, if this is what happens and you do only do an upload just before your appointment they will only have the last week+ (or however much it can store) available to evaluate.

While they won't peruse all that much of your data, they will look at the trend graphs and I would expect them to be interested in the same period of time that is covered by your HbA1c test (i.e. 3 months).

They will know if an upload has occurred if they happen to look at your data, I doubt they will chase you though unless it is during your appointment.

I'd have a look at how much data your device can store, and upload it before it's completely full to ensure there's a complete record.

fwiw I use XDrip+ and it automatically uploads to Tidepool, which is linked to MyDiabetes. My consultant uses Tidepool, the doctors' surgery use MyDiabetes (though I don't think they actually look at it, which is fine.)