does this sound right

tonymajor68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a prebooked call from nurse at my gp surgery today. I told her I was newly diagnosed as type 2 and could I make an appointment to see the diabetes nurse?
first she started telling me not to eat sugars and fatty foods.
then said there is no diabetes nurse at the surgery but they hold group chats every 3 months but the one in August is full, I'm on the cancellation list. earliest I can talk to a dietician is end of September. don't get a meter to check your bloods as it's a waste of time and could make me panic.
basically she was about much use as a chocolate fireguard.
now feeling really down and ****** off at lack of help and support from gp surgery.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's bad luck that you don't have a diabetes nurse at the surgery. It sounds like the nurse you talked to wasn't much use. You need to reduce all carbs not just sugar and you don't need to reduce fats as they have no effect on diabetes (the good old NHS I'm afraid). Don't be in a hurry to see the dietician as some are as much use as the nurse you talked to. I'll flag @daisy1 to give you the usual newbie information. We would always recommend getting a glucose meter as they are certainly not a waste of time and won't make you panic! The SD Codefree on the web is the cheapest. The NHS don't provide them to T2s due to the cost. Do come back here for any further questions as these forums provide a wealth of information from actual diabetics. Within 3 or 6 months you should have an HBa1C blood test assuming you haven't already had one. If the surgery can't co-operate, ask to be referred to the diabetes clinic.

maggie59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed in May & i haven't seen the diabetic nurse yet I've got an appointment for 19th of September now & that's for a diabetic education day lol i've learned more from the forum to be honest dnt worry but do get hold of a monitor if u can I was told the same thing but I prefer to know what my levels are so I can keep them under control so just do ur best with cutting down on sugar & carbohydrates & u shd be fine

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Ignore it. Do what works. Buy a meter (they are not expensive - explore Amazon). Test before and two hours after eating. Avoid foods hig in carbohydrate content (ie. above 10g car in every 100g) where you think you can manage to do so. You will get there. Educate yourself - it's the ONLY way.