DVLA - Licence renewal

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately I had a single hypo that required me to be assisted. I did recover very fast.
I do have good hypo awareness.
On the date, I felt hypo so I had some lucozade. My Freestyle libre gave me a reading of 3.9 so I only took a couple of sips of lucozade. I was also a little poorly at the time so this hypo was a result of being poorly, me not eating enough.
It then transpired that my Libre was giving me much higher readings than a finger prick. I did contact Freestyle and they agreed to change the disc. I screen saved the libre and the finger prick to show this was also part of the reason why I had such a nasty hypo.

I am a little worried now as my drivers licence has to be renewed by May.

After conducting much research I read online 'If you have suffered more than one episode of severe hypoglycemia within the last 12 months you need to inform the DVLA'

I called Diabetes UK and they advised me the same and said that I did not need to worry as it was a one off and most likely from me skipping a meal, being unwell and the freestyle libre sensor being faulty.

I was not driving on the day so therefore did not confirm a finger prick test plus I was in a restaurant at the time with friends.

I am aware there is a question in the medical : In the past 12 months, have you suffered any fits or blackouts?

Has anyone applied for a renewal with only the one episode?

I will always be honest with the DVLA before anyone says anything else.

In 20 years, this was my first severe hypo requiring assistance.

I learned a huge lesson and will now always follow up a freestyle libre reading below 3.9 with a finger prick.

Any advice how to handle this and my renewal. I really rely on my car to get to work as I dont live too near a train station.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have to admit, I've never been in your situation since being diagnosed 46 years back.
I always ask my doc "licence renewal coming up soon, all ok?"

If the DIAB1 form is asking specifically if you suffered more than one severe episode in the last 12 months?
Then it sounds like the fact on the matter is you didn't. ;)

Best wishes.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Omnipod sorry to read about your bad hypo. It is frustrating that so few people seem to be told that Libre (and other CGM) are calibrated to be accurate at “normal” levels. Thankfully, I was told I should always test with finger pricks before making any correction for either a high or low on the Libre.

With regard to informing the DVLA on your next license renewal, have you read the DIAB form that you need to complete and the accompanying instructions? These look pretty clear to me on the point of requiring assistance for a hypo.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The DVLA form asks : In the past 12 months, have you suffered any fits or blackouts?
Diabetes UK and the law say: If you have more than one severe hypo while awake in a 12-month period, stop driving and tell the DVLA. Your licence will be revoked. You can reapply for it 3 months later.

I have not had more than 1 severe hypo. That was the first and I also know why and how it happened so I am pretty confused here.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The DVLA form asks : In the past 12 months, have you suffered any fits or blackouts?

Is the issue that the hypo caused you to have a fit and/or blackout?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did black out ever so briefly but while I was having the hypo, somebody called an ambulance who in turn assisted me. I did come round really quick I administered glucose.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before applying for my provisional license I had a very low blood sugar which resulted in my family having to call an Ambulance, I completely blacked out and ended up on a ventilator in the ICU for a few days. A few months after that I applied for the provisional license. In my experience, I think they weren't so bothered I'd had that one episode, my hypo symptoms are usually really good and I've never had an incident like that before. If you answer yes it's more than likely they'll follow up by talking to your doctors to get more information and if this is a regular occurrence, which going by what you said it isn't. I personally wouldn't worry too much.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Before applying for my provisional license I had a very low blood sugar which resulted in my family having to call an Ambulance, I completely blacked out and ended up on a ventilator in the ICU for a few days.

So presumably you answered "yes" to the blackout question?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I answered yes to the question: When having the episode of low blood sugar, did you need help from another person? I clicked the box YES, bit I only needed help once.
According to Diabetes UK its only if I ticked the box needed help two times or more that they revoke the license. BUT I worry as we are dealing with the DVLA. They make so many errors and its so hard to contact them. If they do revoke my licence, Id probably lose my job

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I have a three year licence because I am 75 but also Type 2 on insulin and had a reminder from the DVLA on 17th April 2021 that my licence would expire on 28th June. They had sent medical forms to fill in but it said on the letter that it was quicker if done online so I did it that day. A week later I received another letter with forms to fill in as they wanted it on paper not online so I filled those in the same day and sent them off. June 28th came and went, my licence expired and there was no sign of a renewed licence and even though I did email them I had no reply. In September I heard from them again, this time wanting me to make an appointment for a visual field test so I went to a local optician and had this done. I realise that they have to make enquiries from my doctor (who I haven't seen for years about my diabetes) and other medical people but I eventually received my renewed licence at the beginning of March 2022 - around ten and a half months since they first contacted me. My advice is to renew as soon as you can but the DVLA say that you can still drive while your licence renewal is in their system as long as you haven't been told by your doctor not to.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a three year licence because I am 75 but also Type 2 on insulin and had a reminder from the DVLA on 17th April 2021 that my licence would expire on 28th June. They had sent medical forms to fill in but it said on the letter that it was quicker if done online so I did it that day. A week later I received another letter with forms to fill in as they wanted it on paper not online so I filled those in the same day and sent them off. June 28th came and went, my licence expired and there was no sign of a renewed licence and even though I did email them I had no reply. In September I heard from them again, this time wanting me to make an appointment for a visual field test so I went to a local optician and had this done. I realise that they have to make enquiries from my doctor (who I haven't seen for years about my diabetes) and other medical people but I eventually received my renewed licence at the beginning of March 2022 - around ten and a half months since they first contacted me. My advice is to renew as soon as you can but the DVLA say that you can still drive while your licence renewal is in their system as long as you haven't been told by your doctor not to.

That is crazy and to be honest not really acceptable. Almost 11 months to get a renewal licence. I did renew mine yesterday even though my licence has to renew by May. I guess yours took longer because of lockdown and staff working from home. Hopefully it will be faster now that people are back in the office.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is to renew as soon as you can but the DVLA say that you can still drive while your licence renewal is in their system as long as you haven't been told by your doctor not to.
The rules are slightly different.
You can drive on Section 88 provided you have evidence a doctor HAS told you that you CAN drive.
You cannot assume that because no one told you not to that you can continue to drive. You must get approval.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is crazy and to be honest not really acceptable. Almost 11 months to get a renewal licence. I did renew mine yesterday even though my licence has to renew by May. I guess yours took longer because of lockdown and staff working from home. Hopefully it will be faster now that people are back in the office.
My OH has Parkinson’s and has been waiting for his 3 year medical licence to be renewed since October - it expired in December but he is still able to drive.

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what worked for me. Call the DVLA and find a option regardless of reason that has a person answering. Not easy but I did manage. I needed mine by early April as I was driving to France and on hearing that they put me on a fast track and the licence arrived 7 days later.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I am type 1 so get a license every 3 yrs , My license expired on 19th of November and I got the renewal message from the DVLA in early October so filled the form in on line and got the new license before the old one expired , So it can work sometimes it would seem .