1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA NIGHTMARE

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by macj1, Jul 4, 2017.

1. macj1

macj1 · Newbie

Has anyone else ever had to deal with the DVLA and tried to get a reasonable answer from them regarding wether they are going to reissue my license.
    It's been going on for 8 weeks now and they will not discuss the issue with me when I phone them.
    Any tips on dealing with them welcome.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I was just renewed my licence this year, but the time before that I had a similar wait to yourself, on ringing the DVLA they said they were doing some medical checks and that was the reason for the delay, however the chap on the phone said not to worry as if I didn't here back before my licence had expired I was still OK to drive, he said something about a regulation that allows people to drive if the DVLA haven't conducted their investigations before a licence expires.

So if the DVLA haven't told you you can't drive you should be fine.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Like @noblehead , I've had simalar waits in the past to the point I forgot all about it...
    Then flap! It drops through the door.. :)

No news is always good!

4. macj1

macj1 · Newbie

Thanks noblehead that's reassuring.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. macj1

macj1 · Newbie

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a point - you can always check on the GOV website the current status of your licence to see when it's due for renewal and confirm it's still current but they do send out renewal docs about 3 months before it's due to expire :)

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

8. buckmr2

buckmr2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You're OK to drive if they're doing medical checks for your renewal after your licence expires.Mine expired the renewal before last while they were doing ongoing checks and abour a month later the new licence arrived.
    Ironically last renewal the new licence arrived within a few days so no time to do all their checks thoroughly given shortage of "staff" medically qualified to tick the boxes before it passes for the next 'check".

9. james11

james11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have the same issues every year...hgv driver on insulin...my license expires because they always running behind...i dont worry about it any more...although my employer has to have it explained and the section 88 business shown to him...lol....not been stopped by police...now that would be fun...lol...

10. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, earlier this year my renewal was really quick, possibly as I have sometimes waited the full year before receiving my licence, so I already knew to send everything recorded delivery. I think we've had some info on here to say the DVLA have been required to issue much clearer guidelines, possibly around February this year? Yes, DVLA can be a nightmare, twice in the last 10 years my MP has had to raise questions in the house. Carb counts, blood tests, injections; no problem. Govt. agencies; I loose the will to live ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook