Eat before hba1c test or not?

BoSoBo

Hello,

I have a hba1c test coming up and I know I have read somewhere about the ideal amount of time to eat (or not eat!) before the test in order to get a healthy reading. It's not that I want to manipulate the result of course, but I don't want to unnecessarily have it come out high either.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The HbA1c is an average of the last 3 months so fasting before it will make pretty much no difference at all.

Reactions: sunn49 and BoSoBo

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting will not change a result of a hba1c as mentioned above, the only test eating can affect in the eyes of a review blood test is 1 part of the cholesterol which some prefer to fast for but if on hypo causing medication isn't advised

Reactions: BoSoBo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have a hba1c test coming up and I know I have read somewhere about the ideal amount of time to eat (or not eat!) before the test in order to get a healthy reading. It's not that I want to manipulate the result of course, but I don't want to unnecessarily have it come out high either.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Hi there - as others have said, there is no clinical need to fast prior to an HbA1c. Personally? Unless there is a clinical reason not to, I do all my blood tests fasted.

My rationale is this gives me a very level playing field from which to compare one set of results against another.

I always have the blood. Test papers in my possession prior to my tests, as I go to the hospital for y blood draws, but others have commented when they attended that other tests had been added to the menu.

I guess some of it comes down to personal choice and appointment availability.

Good luck with the test.

BoSoBo

Thank you, that's a good idea, to always do them fasted so as to make best comparisons. I think I will do that from now on.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Can anyone help?

TIA

i agreed with @DCUKMod

but i'd also say IF you are on metformin doctors ( and aged over 50 levels deplete naturally )
should offer you the test for B12 levels..i am not sure many do.

Mine didn't 3 times before i became aware and asked for it to be added.
i ended then was desirable, so now supplement.

Not sure if B12 is the most important vitamin, but a lack of it certainly can bring some serious consequences if left unattended.

Good luck with the HBA1c.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @DCUKMod & @jjraak I've usually chosen to fast before any tests, but since, as already stated, your HbA1c is an average of last three months it will not make the slightest bit of difference to that result.

However your glucose levels over the last few weeks will have more impact on that 3 months average.

Reactions: BoSoBo

BoSoBo

Thanks jj, I supplement with b12 so no worries there, in fact at my last test result appointment the Dr asked me if I used it because my levels were very high! I don't take any pharma meds and hope to keep it that way .

BoSoBo

Thanks Robbity. It's unfortunate that Xmas is well within the last 3 months as I did allow myself some extra 'treats'. Will have to try and get the annual date moved for next year!!!

BoSoBo

Hi all, so I had the blood test, fasted, and have the results. Hba1c was 40, so that's OK. I asked if I could have another test in the spring because of Xmas indulgences playing into this one, and GP said that's fine, so I will do that because it will be interesting to see if it comes out the same or not.

A big surprise was my cholesterol is down by 20%!!!! Delighted about that. Down from 5.5 last year, to 4.3! I have seen it written on here that low carb high fat can help lower cholesterol but I must say I had my doubts! Since adopting this way of eating in March last year I am certainly eating more heavy fats like cheese and cream and so I am very pleased that despite the extra fats my cholesterol has reduced, and my Hba1c is ok.

Hba1c was 42 March 2019, 38 May 2019, and now 40.

Reactions: SlimLizzy