EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
What I meant by certain diet. my personality is very active. I’m not an organized person. Some days you’ll find me taking my 3 meals on their time. The next day I’ll eat only one meal which high in carbs. Or maybe I’ll not take any meals & I’ll just have a chocolate, chips, popcorn, icecream, etc...
My adherence to a healthy life style is almost equal to zero! Even Sometimes I’m forgetting to take my long acting insulin!

The idea behind a basal/bolus regime is that you take the basal (long-acting - tresiba in your case) as a background insulin to cover the periods when you're not eating. The short acting can be taken to balance your food, so you can vary the times and amounts you eat just by taking the appropriate amount of bolus. Of course, in order for that to work properly you need to
1) get the correct basal dose of long acting insulin
2) know the amount of carbs that correspond to each unit of bolus insulin
3) know how to count carbs
4) know how to calculate a correction dose if your blood sugar is too high.

1,2 and 4 all vary from person to person, and even vary from day to day, as they can be affected by illness, exercise, stress and even time of day.

But once you've got some confidence that those figures are roughly right, you can then tweak things as you get a better idea of what's going on.

Can you talk to your clinic, or do you have to wait for an appointment? If you keep a food diary, they should be able to look at your blood sugar graphs and work out what's going on.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Dod95
Regularity in my life certainly makes things more predictable for me.

My nurse says the T1Ds with the most stable BSLs tend to be those in wheelchairs - their life tends to be more regulated by the very fact of their disabilities.

I think it may be regarded as a universal truth that diet is one of the cornerstones of all diabetic treatments.

And by very active life I am assuming you are also referring to exercise? You can find some threads on that in the Type 1 diabetes forum and on the Home page by using the question box right upper.

In my case I have to plan my exercise in terms of insulin amounts and I know I will experience a tendency towards low BSLs
about 6 hours after exercise and that I will be more sensitive to insulin for the following 12 hours and more after the exercise.

An erratic diet is bad news for me. And I am more at risk of the high's and lows, a bit like what your latest BSLs graph shows.
Still convinced that eating what you wish and chasing it with insulin works?

Basal testing - I think you meant by the skipping a breakfast etc? Maybe see what your diabetic educator thinks about the different BSL results you are noting. And whether sticking to some regular food intake plus exercise may or may not help to better predict what your BSLs may be??

Also ask your diabetic educator about what is called the DCCT (Diabetes Control and Complications Trial) and its significance.
Best Wishes.:):):)

D

Deleted Account

Balance is the most important thing for me.
By this, I mean balancing the management of diabetes with living my life.

Getting my BG within an acceptable range (which is different for all of us) allows me to do what I want.
My range is wider than some because, I feel, if I focus on the BG numbers I lose the balance in the rest of my life and become obsessed with diabetes only which is not healthy.