1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Exercise

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Juju13, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Juju13

Juju13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi am Type 2 on metformin I have started gym and tested my bloods after exercising and they were 4.2 my question is can you exercise yourself into a hypo?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Yes, anyone can but 4.2 is not a hypo and given a functioning liver it will correct matters before you are in any real danger. Also I have spent a lot of time on here listening to people who got higher blood sugars with exercise. It never happened to me but my exercise is more or less confined to walking these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

I too found slow to moderate walking after meals did the best for my bs. But that’s not to say the gym is a bad thing. I did that for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Well-Known Member

yes some can, I cant it seems, it is more seldom that type 2 hypoes but yes it is poosible... i think I only ever hypoed when having been drinking a lot..

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What medication are you taking (if any)?

6. Juju13

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Then you should be fine with exercise..be interested to know what you did at the gym? Did you measure your bloods before exercise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Member

I too am on Metformin and after an hours aerobic exercise plus some weights my blood glucose tends to drop by between 2 and 3 but I never get to the hypo stage.

9. Pipp

Pipp I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I sometimes find exercise in gym or swimming pool gives a slight rise, immediately after, followed by a reduction within an hour. Never too low, though.

10. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The word "hypo" is not very well defined....

Someone who is on insulin who gets a 'hypo' is likely to find that their BG keeps going down until they eat carbs, or are dead, regardless of how much rest they take etc. Somone who is just on Metformin many feel weak and unwell due to their BG dropping, but their BG will recover if all they do is sit in a warm room.

When marathon running's ‘bonk’ or ‘hits the wall’ it due to their BG dropping, yet we don’t call it a 'hypo' because 99.9% of the time they recover just by stopping running...... The feeling is just as real, regardless of what it is called.

11. Juju13

It was 8 then after 45 min in gym it dropped to 6 then half hour swim dropped it to 4.2

12. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4.2 is not low unless your body is used to 8...... I expect that in a few weeks time you not even notice if your BG drops to 4.2

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Juju13

I didn't this time I'm doing quite well at minute thank good essay

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook