Type 1 Eyesight.

Debstoller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
Am a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic of 3 weeks. I am coping with that, its my blurred eyesight that is driving my nuts. Wear glasses for reading anyway and have done since I was 7 years old. Had a pair for watching the tv too which I have never needed as my far sight was very good. Too read at present though I am having to wear both pairs and still struggling to see. My normal vision is blurred and need my reading glasses to see to do anything. Have read that this could take 3 months to correct if it ever does once my blood sugars are controlled. Wondering if I should make an eye apt?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How are your levels? I think an optician appt before you are in range would be pointless as eyes would change again.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Debstoller
welcome to the forum !! :)

in the weeks following a type 1 diagnosis your blood sugars will be hopefully returning to more normal( 5-10 ) levels following weeks or months of them being really high ( over 20 )

this change in blood sugars in a fairly short period of time is often the cause of the blurry vision you describe.
It should clear up within 6-8 weeks following diagnosis.

do see your optician if it does not clear up for you in the next few weeks !!

all the best !

Debstoller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Struggling to keep my blood sugars below 10 at the moment. Avoiding sugar in my diet obviously but even after a pasta meal it is shooting up to 14 when pre meal it was 5.3! Was a home cooked meal with chicken, bacon, tinned tomatoes, double cream and Parmesan. Wasn't a huge portion either. I'm a nurse and on a night shift tonight. Reading the drug charts is going to be fun. Will have to look a plonker with two pairs of glasses on.
Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: himtoo
M

ME_Valentijn

Avoiding sugar in my diet obviously but even after a pasta meal it is shooting up to 14 when pre meal it was 5.3!
Pasta really isn't better than sugar :p And counting the carbs will help a lot in determining what your body can handle.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Struggling to keep my blood sugars below 10 at the moment. Avoiding sugar in my diet obviously but even after a pasta meal it is shooting up to 14 when pre meal it was 5.3! Was a home cooked meal with chicken, bacon, tinned tomatoes, double cream and Parmesan. Wasn't a huge portion either. I'm a nurse and on a night shift tonight. Reading the drug charts is going to be fun. Will have to look a plonker with two pairs of glasses on.
Thanks for your help guys.
it is really difficult adjusting at first -- my best advice is to be kind to yourself:) -- Diabetes is like a marathon race -- it really is important to realise you can only live it in real time ( difficult to do when things are not going as well as you would like )