Fallen off the wagon

goji

Hi all

After three months successful low-carbing, I have fallen right off the wagon over chrimbo. In the past two weeks I seem to have consumed three quarters of a large tin of Quality Street, half a yule log, a large box of lebkuchen (those scrummy German gingerbread cakes), half a chocolate birthday cake, a large M&S trifle plus lots and lots of roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings. :shock:

I've always had a sweet tooth and once I eat one sweet thing it's like a snowball effect and I just can't stop. Does anyone have any good motivational tips for how to get back on the wagon (aside from amputation pictures!!)? I made my resolution for 2009 to be to stick to the low-carb diet but the Lindt 99% chocolate just isn't doing it for me at the moment. :lol: Even as I type, I am thinking of the orange creams in the Quality Street box - the worst thing is they are so sickly sweet and nasty....I think it's an addiction. :lol:

Goji xx

PS. maybe we need a fat bloater emoticon :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Join the club!!I think a few of us have fallen by the wayside over Christmas.Best advice,get rid of temptations,either eat them or give them away then ,and this is important,DO NOT BUY ANYMORE!!! :lol: :lol: Those half price tins are very inviting,look the other way!!Any that are not started,surprise your nieghbour with a new year present.You can do it..We will all be back on the low carb again(those of us that low carb that is) if only for the sake of our BG numbers and the next Hba1c!!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi goji, you're definitely not alone - I reckon the wagon has lost most of its passengers over the last couple of weeks :)

I think you're quite right, there is something terribly addictive about those sweetie/carby things. I've had a sweet tooth all my life and this time last year resolved just to stop having them in the house. Within a month I swear my addiction was broken and this year I've not even been tempted by the cakes and chocs. I thought I was kidding myself at first, but I genuinely don't want it anymore. Best Xmas present I ever had!

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've had slip-ups too and I find giving the tepting things away is best
Hana

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, a very light wagon here too. Not going to fret about it though.

I am tucking into a slice of Fergus' cake. Substituted 50gms of ground almonds with coconut. With a cup of coffee with a good slug of cream in, I'm not missing out at all. Now all I have to do is resist the temptation to eat the whole bl**dy cake, but that's not too hard. The amount of splenda in it will have me running to the bathroom if I do.
The other, vain, factor is that just before Christmas, I had lost more weight and had broken the 15st barrier and went down to 14st 9lbs. Today I'm 14st 13lbs and I do NOT intend to return to old habits and waistlines.

wiflib

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Wheel definitely came off the wagon here, though on a positive note probably gorbed half of what i did last xmas, and chocolate/opal fruit addiction seems cured.....apple crumble and custard today was a mistake though...9.1 & 10.4 :oops:

lilibet

Glad to see it wasnt just me!

Only dx Sept and on premix so was bit worried about it all. Didnt touch sweets (surprised meself given large tin of minature Heroes and, was a 2x sugars per coffee gal and my tastebuds STILL look for it first cup of the day :( ). My addiction musta been stronger than yours Fergus!

I made a low carb brownie cake but otherwise my wagon mishaps were

Potato scones
Potato croquettes
Eating much more in one sitting than since dx (bearing in mind my premix is 'set'). Did up it a bit and ran bit higher than usual/would like still. so no snack tonight for me .

Still, i was expecting double figures and instant bladder failure so, all in all bearable. The hardest thing will be getting back on the wagon.

God I miss my dietary freedom.......................................

Happy New Year to you all x

Cosy

Oh you are all lightweights in the eating stakes..........
I have been eating anything and everything for weeks now and am not happy with myself at all. Once I started I just could not stop, I had been doing quite well up to then getting sugar levels down etc. Now they are sky high again, why do I do it. I cannot bring myself to throw things away....thinking of the starving of the world.........
I will get back into the swing of things next week when I return to work and get back into a routine as I am determined that I will make 2009 the year I get good control of this condition.
Good luck to all and a Happy New Year.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
:shock: And I thought I was bad because I had a cookie today. :lol:

Trinkwasser

Doesn't it make you feel like ****? That's my motivation.

I was never that much of a sweetaholic but those savory carbs are every bit as addictive, once you start your BG and insulin levels cycling you generate more cravings, no doubt of that

chocoholic

Well, although I have been a naughty girl of late with eats, I didn't understand why the extra insulin I was taking didn't seem to be helping. Think I know now. Hubby in bed,really rough, with suspected flu and I think I'm coming down with it too. Legs and arms ache, I feel shivery and nursing a headache. I'm not bad enough to take to my bed yet but I don't feel myself. This will be my first spell of dealing with illness on bolus/basal insulin, so I hope it doesn't prove too tricky.
I haven't actually had full-blown flu for donkey's years and I rarely get ill, so I count myself as very lucky. If I could just get my B.S. down to single figures again I'd be happy.

I had my mother on the phone this morning telling me if it IS flu I have coming, that I must stop "dieting". Sadly, this proves to me that she hasn't grasped the idea behind me reducing my carb. intake at all. I tried to explain, I'm not "dieting" I'm just cutting down on the foods that turn to sugar. I don't need to lose weight. Aaaarrrgghhh!!!!

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hee hee chocoholic, that sounds like my mum. Now I've got down to 10 1/2 stone, mum says "You can start eating normally now, I don't want you losing any more weight!" She seems to forget that a) before I had my son I weighed 8 1/2 stone and THAT was underweight and b) this is my normal way of eating now! Never mind, I suppose it stops her worrying about my older brother who is epileptic and rather overdid it over the festive season!

Happy new year everyone!

Bubsy :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Christmas dinner at my son's m-i-l where I avoided potatoes but did have a portion of cake raised my BS to 10.

A NY gathering at another diabetic's home (an Indian family) provided a finger buffet. I tried to select but my BS went to 14.

My usual after reading is 7-8 & before around 5.5.

goji

Well I'm ashamed to say that after writing my original post, I went and finished off all the orange creams. :oops: Then yesterday, I ate the remaining 6 strawberry creams (the ones that are so foul that everyone else in the house left as well!! :shock: :oops: :shock: ), a panettone and 3 cupcakes. I never thought I'd stoop so low but now there is basically nothing left in the house to tempt me!!!

I think Sue's suggestion:
sugarless sue said:
DO NOT BUY ANYMORE!!! :lol: :lol:
wins out here for unequivocal advice!! Next year I will go down the Fergus route and not eat anything sweet at Chrimbo as it's just all too tempting. :lol:

I've decided if I get a craving today I'll eat some berries instead. I hope everyone else is getting back on the wagon too!!

Goji xx

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Thanks, Gogi, for starting this confession-board. I fell off on Christmas Eve having made a gallon of trifle - the sort that feeds 4 for a week and that gets better and better each day. The two humungous Toblerone's in my stocking on 25th didn't help and oh, I could go on.

It's true: put them (the goodies/baddies out of site and if you don't forget about them then at least you won't remember them as much.

And don't beat yourself up.

Good luck,

Russ

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I'm well and truly back on the wagon, i've eventually finished all the Xmas food and the teenager is back to school on Monday so business as usual! Have a happy and healthy 2009 everyone :wink:

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, .... i,m ashamed to say,..... had my highest reading yet 10.6,.... about an hour ago.
I had 6 rosies cad choc creams, after trifle,.....and after reading some of posts on here this eve ,..... thought i would indulge, and, ... I,m sorry to have to say, but, glad to see it was'nt just me,..... that fell, ouch !!!! of the wagon,..... but..... my slip ups have been, not so much the food i have had , until this eve, ..... I didnt have any, xmas fare, turkey and all trimmings, spuds etc, xmas cake , mince pies, chocolates etc etc, we had steak and salad for xmas lunch, pork chops and salad new years eve meal, followed by homemade low suger trifle, made some mulled wine, had some red wine with meals, whisky,& brandy, in trifles, a couple glasses of pimms new years eve small glass of port, with cheese and olives at our g/daughters 21st then chicken tikka with veg in evening, new yrs day, ate lots of cheeses, olives, and nuts over xmas,
my slip ups, have been about not remembering to test ,
b t w i got my second lot of tests just before xmas
as follows for comparison
Aic CHOL HDL LDL TRIGS

MAY 6.9 6.2 1.78 1.08 1.03
JULY/AUG 6.4 3.2 1.91 0.8 0 .9
DEC 5.7 4.9 1.99 2.5 0.9

i dont know if these are good are not , i think maybe, some are ok,
would someone comment on them please
About not remembering to test, does any one else have a problem with this i get so annoyed with myself, as i do, use my mobile, and a kitchen timer , to try and remind me, when i remember , to set them that is, i do tend to get sidetracked,
made yet another fresh start yesterday ,
Happy New Year

Trinkwasser

jeenie said:
Aic CHOL HDL LDL TRIGS

MAY 6.9 6.2 1.78 1.08 1.03
JULY/AUG 6.4 3.2 1.91 0.8 0 .9
DEC 5.7 4.9 1.99 2.5 0.9

i dont know if these are good are not , i think maybe, some are ok,
would someone comment on them please

A1c and HDL are spectacular, trigs very good, ratio is amazing. Your LDL is up a bit but considering the other numbers it's unlikely to be dangerous.

Many nondiabetics would die for numbers like that, er well you know what I mean

squirrel50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i fell off the wagon too..am ashamed as i was doing so well..the day after i felt bad as in tired and blurry eyes so it really wasnt worth it..back to low carbing today and feel better already..nearly went in the biscuit barrel as truoble with daughter,,who reckons as shes not twenty till feb that means her behaviour should be accepted as she is still a teenager,,,what a cheek ,keeping me awake with some random boy she drunkenly picked up and took to her bed ..dont think i was unreasonable asking him in a few choice words to leave...was i ?anyway she has decided to pack up and go apparently..we shall see...blimey my dads would have got the belt to me..kids today dont know the half of it