False pretences??!!!!

k9badger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone! I joined this on behalf of my wife,hence the false pretences, but she is not keen on gadgets! She is 53 and been type 1 since she was four and really had no problems for 47 of those years. Recently she has been struggling with lots of hypos and reduced awareness! On seeing the consultant he queried whether she was diabetic at all!!!! Subsequent blood tests confirmed the 1968 diagnosis. Things came to a head bank holiday weekend when she had a massive nighttime hypo which even with my considerable experience I couldn't help, couldn't get a reading on her meter and so rang paramedics. She is ok now but she has had to fess up to the DVLA and her licence is suspended! So no job, however on a positive note she has been recommended for a pump. So I was hoping for some feedback on starting the pump and how effective they are? I am hopeful for her as she has never let the diabetes control her ability to do anything. For me this latest hypo scared me rigid and I want to support her. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your forum!!!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pumps are effective at being insulin pumps. They are a method of insulin delivery, they deliver insulin.

What exactly are you looking for the pump to be effective at? If it's controlling diabetes and reducing hypos, I'm afraid that is down to the pump user. The pump won't do it for you or do it on its own.to understand how to get the most out of a pump and prepare for starting on a pump I would recommend the book pumping insulin by John Walsh. You tell the pump what to do, so if you want to avoid hypos it's up to you to figure out what caused those hypos: was it a miscalculation causing too much insulin? Was it just not eating what was anticipated? Was it exercise? Was it alcohol? Was it illness? Once you figure out what caused the hypos then the pump gives you a wider range of options for avoiding them.

If your wife is suffering with reduced hypo awareness she might need to thinking about raising her target range for a little while to try and improve awareness, and that will also help with avoiding hypos.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I hope your better half is better or at least on the mend. Best wishes.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi everyone! I joined this on behalf of my wife,hence the false pretences, but she is not keen on gadgets! She is 53 and been type 1 since she was four and really had no problems for 47 of those years. Recently she has been struggling with lots of hypos and reduced awareness! On seeing the consultant he queried whether she was diabetic at all!!!! Subsequent blood tests confirmed the 1968 diagnosis. Things came to a head bank holiday weekend when she had a massive nighttime hypo which even with my considerable experience I couldn't help, couldn't get a reading on her meter and so rang paramedics. She is ok now but she has had to fess up to the DVLA and her licence is suspended! So no job, however on a positive note she has been recommended for a pump. So I was hoping for some feedback on starting the pump and how effective they are? I am hopeful for her as she has never let the diabetes control her ability to do anything. For me this latest hypo scared me rigid and I want to support her. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your forum!!!
I hope your 'better half' is feeling better. Hypos, what a pain in the butt they are! Do consider the insulin pump as it will make life easier. Do some research and find the one best suited for your needs. Good luck.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I hope your 'better half' is feeling better. Hypos, what a pain in the butt they are! Do consider the insulin pump as it will make life easier. Do some research and find the one best suited for your needs. Good luck.
Check out the insulin pump forum, it will valuable insight on what kind of pump you require.