Fast meals

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Australian Army ration packs are pretty good, but not up to the US armies MRE pack standard. :D
Happily I can say I e never tried them. And hope to not ever !!
I'll just hit the stores buy and eat fresh. When out. Hit the stores buy and eat fresh. Repeat repeat

D

Deleted member 308541

Happily I can say I e never tried them. And hope to not ever !!
When I tried them was after barbecue at the gun club in Mt Isa where we used to live.

There was a joint Australia / US war game in the Northern Territories camped over night at the Army Reserve base next door, they wanted to get our steak burgers so we did a trade with ration packs for burgers.

Had to go back into town and get more steak from the shop I was manager of.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still struggling to find nice fast meat meals. I am ok to have a tin of tuna and mayo, but I have no other alternative.

I would like tinned meatballs in tomato sauce, but they are full of carbs.
I would like some other meat/fish in tin or packed for long shelf life, but I cannot find anything different from luncheon meat (and its various versions).

Are there any other options?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want something less processed. Like cooked normal meat, salmon, burgers, all ready to eat after just heating.

S

serenity648

I want something less processed. Like cooked normal meat, salmon, burgers, all ready to eat after just heating.
well, if you find such a thing, let me know. If not, cook stuff, freeze it,put in microwave when you want to eat it.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think freezing is a good option afterall. I put some meals in the freezer. It was difficult to reheat them, the microwave almost burnt some sides and the core was still frozen (I suppose I should put it in defrost mode, but I think you still get that). In addition, there were tons of water produced, which means the food was completely dehydrated (not so good). The result was very tasteless food as all the seasoning was drained with the water. The veg texture wasn't impressive either.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have said before they are available, you have to buy them.

They do many cooked meats, supposedly keto, that have long shelf life due to pressure cooking and vacuum packing. But they are really expensive.
Off you go and buy from then as you problems is solved.

S

serenity648

what is the difference between shoving a bit of salmon or burger in a frying pan and cooking them while you make a cup of tea, and bunging something frozen in the microwave? i dont get the problem with cooking something, especially a chop or chicken breast or something you can fry?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Take the meals out of the freezer, defrost in the fridge and just HEAT, don't cook it again.

This doesn't need to be this difficult.

D

Deleted member 308541

It was difficult to reheat them, the microwave almost burnt some sides and the core was still frozen (I suppose I should put it in defrost mode, but I think you still get that).

Here's a pix of a chicken I cooked in the microwave, four minutes to defrost it with minimal moisture loss. Then twenty minutes on high to cook it. It was tasty both hot and cold.
Take the meals out of the freezer, defrost in the fridge and just HEAT, don't cook it again.

This doesn't need to be this difficult.

9S2F0Jt.jpg

This!

Reactions: Chook

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a pix of a chicken I cooked in the microwave, four minutes to defrost it with minimal moisture loss. Then twenty minutes on high to cook it. It was tasty both hot and cold.

9S2F0Jt.jpg

This!
Ok pal. That's a whole bird! I was thinking pre cooked breast or thighs and just rewarm. Lol

D

Deleted member 308541

Ok pal. That's a whole bird! I was thinking pre cooked breast or thighs and just rewarm. Lol
I used a bit of imagination and cut it into four pieces with a knife.

I could have then reheated the quarters afterwards, or vacuum packed them for later consumption if I wanted to.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do not want to freeze stuff then Polish shops do food in glass jars like meat.. mostly pork...fish and vegetables and like canned food these can kept for simply ages in a cupboard and only need to go in the fridge after opening them. Don't know if this helps or why you want stuff vacuum packed do you have a problem with cooking things and need them ready cooked

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You should always defrost stuff in the fridge for 24 hours before you cook it
I defrost my protein in a bowl of cold water for a little while.
I used a bit of imagination and cut it into four pieces with a knife.

I could have then reheated the quarters afterwards, or vacuum packed them for later consumption if I wanted to.
Or just chowed on it for a few meals! I love e cold chicken!