1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting Readings

Discussion in 'Gestational Diabetes' started by CC80, Jun 29, 2017.

1. CC80

CC80 Gestational · Newbie

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and have gestational diabetes, which I never had with my first. I'm currently on 4 Metformin tablets a day and 33 units of Levemir insulin (started on Humilin I but had a hypo). My consultant keeps increasing the insulin as she wants my fasting Readings high 4's. They are currently slightly over averaging between 5.6-5.9. I am watching what I eat but those figures just aren't coming down. My readings throughout the day are perfect. Last night my last test was 5.7 and then this morning it was 5.9. My concern is I think 33 units is a lot and it gets increased every appointment. I have another 6 weeks at least. Any suggestions to help lower the fasting Readings?
    Thanks

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi @CC80 :) Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Many ladies with GD find a small bedtime snack helps. You'd have to experiment to find if that worked for you by trying a number of different snacks with a mix of carbs, protein, fat to see if you can hit on one that works.

The fasting level is often the hardest to get down. it sounds like you're doing really well with your readings though :)

The other thing you might want to ask about is splitting your Levemir injection (not necessarily 50/50) if you aren't doing that already. It can give you more flexibility as you could increase the evening dose, say, while keeping the morning dose the same.

You could also do a blood test during the night maybe to see what your blood sugar is doing then.

But a good bedtime snack would be the first thing I'd recommend trying.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CC80

Thanks for the reply Azure. Any suggestions on snacks? I did mention this to the consultant but she said it was just on the internet and nothing proven. I'm willing to try anything to stop the insulin getting increased constantly. Thanks

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

If you don't normally have a snack, I'd start with low levels of carbs as you want to try to find something that works to stop the dawn rise, but doesn't put you high during the night.

You could try one or two oatcakes with peanut butter or a Ryvita and cheese. You're looking for a good level of protein, highish fat and low (or sometimes zero) carbs. The carbs you have should be low GI.

5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

How are things going? :)

6. CC80

The snacks didn't work. I've increased insulin to 34 units and started injecting later at night and that seems to help the morning readings thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Well, at least you've got it under control now :)

The last 10 weeks approx are a time of huge insulin resistance so you're doing well dealing with that :)

Enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook