Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i never suggested it, i agree zero carbs is nuts lol

i was talking about the things that say we need carbs to stay alive, therefore we should eat this that or the other, i believe from what ive read that this isnt true, and the only carbs we should eat should be what suits our bloods, weight or preference

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
High turmoil for her today... She was allowed out today... This a copy of text.... Turmoil for her... And anxiety for next 2 days starting to show thru....sometimes it very hard to make right statements of encouragement as there is so much behind her probs in the background of not liking praise or her body etc...

"Awwww you would make an awesome cool grand aunty, erm it was horrific, lovely to dance in the rain but it was aweful, It took 15mins to decide wat drink I wanted I knew I didn't want a hot milk drink and now I look bck its coz its cold to burn calories but at the time I didn't see it, so I was turn between milkshake and frappe but milkshake had ice cream and made with a chocolate bar and I had to hav a snack so that was a no go even tho I did fancy it, so I went for a frappe but chose chai flavour that was a genuine Xxxx (name removed) choice... But snack wise was aweful I went to get smarties but I didn't want them, anorexia did because its in a tube childlike and the calories I cud see on it, as the lady scanned it I quickly noticed ur wasn't wat I truly wanted so I thought (after10 mins)wat did (name removed) like as a child and then I remembered I liked cherry bakewells so I went for an almond slice. Although the normality was nice, I couldn't take my mind off the fact that I was having more calories than those back at the unit, plus ...tomorrow is a social where its choosing a pub lunch and dessert and everyone knows they are high in calories so again il be eating more than others ...and then on Tuesday at a mental health conference there's a buffet , again more calories than the meal bck at the unit..so all I could think of is that I will be the laughing stock as on weigh day I will put on more than the predicted weight gain...meaning il be the biggest joke here and people will judge and mock me... Plus. I couldn't taste the almond slice from years of brainwashing so it felt like empty calories and a waste, its so frustrating wen u want to enjoy it :( oh well its done isn't it, just gutted that I as (name removed) cant enjoy it ... :( .reading this back, anorexia is loud today :(... But I guess im still winning..."

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@AndBreathe thank you for asking.
Somedays texts and phonecalls are a struggle to give constant good answers to. But she is making improvements to inner organs and some weight gain. Mental health is slow.... Some major probs to get over.. But, however, some small gains being made...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe thank you for asking.
Somedays texts and phonecalls are a struggle to give constant good answers to. But she is making improvements to inner organs and some weight gain. Mental health is slow.... Some major probs to get over.. But, however, some small gains being made...

She has some long and difficult days ahead of her, but most anorexics do recover enough to live "normal" lives; whatever "normal" is.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I really don't think that many people cut out all vegetables, all types of fruit including berries.,or dairy (including many cheeses) . Perhaps, they don't eat legumes (though these are far lower GI than the carb content would suggest) , grains but all of these things I've mentioned contain carbohydrates (heck even liver contains a little)
ie to cut carbs completely you have to cut all these things along with the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrient (and indeed protein and fat they contain)
I sometimes think that we are all referring to different things when the word carbohydrates is mentioned.
I can see how you have misunderstood my post. I stopped eating starchy carbs immediately but get my carbs through veg. Sorry for any confusion caused!

Reactions: 6 people

winniethepooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
poachers
Thanks for the varied responses. All interesting and sets me on a course which at some stage I shall report back on.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It's almost impossible to eat zero carbs, but some try for a period and are healthy, you know even eggs have carbs and eggs are probably the most nutrious you can eat, all though you need to add a little vitamin C. It's possible to eat below 20 gram of carbs per day and rather common for LCHF people in Scandinavia when they want to lose weight or reverse D2.
Since June I've done a less then 10 grams of carbs per day and still do (including carbs in coffee).

There's more vitamins and micronutrients in vegetables compared to fruit (and very little i pasta and bread).

We don't need carbs but the brain (and red blood cells) needs a little glucose app 20-30 gram per day, however the body (liver) can make this from protein and fat through the gluconeogenesis.
Absolute essential to humans are omega-3 fat and some amino acids.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
disagree. Ditched the lot on diagnosis. Felt **** for 3 days but never looked back.
Sandchic
If you have ditched all carbs can you tell me what you actually eat over a 24 hour period. Thank you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its easy to just get carbs thru veg.... Meat n veg for dinner.. I have berries for breakfast.. But Nice veg n salad with meats or cheese for breakfast etc is lovely.. Very easy to do.

Sorry, it is so easy to have spaghetti bolognese or chilli wtc without pasta or rice.. One 400g loaf now does us months.. We buy 1 loaf, and put it in freezer to use for our yummy fishcakes that has 100g for 4 of them. Apart from that we never have any starchy carbs at all.

Yes we do.. Xmas day, roast potatoes..xmas puds etc ... But thats the only time..

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sandchic
If you have ditched all carbs can you tell me what you actually eat over a 24 hour period. Thank you.
It's starchy carbs which I don't eat. So no rice, potatoes, rice or bread.
Salad (feta, olives, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cucumber) and meatballs for dinner. Brekkie sausage and 2 poached egg, lunch handful of peanuts and couple of chunks of cheddar. Yesterday pipers and eggs, chicken in cream and brandy with cauliflower, broccoli and carrot and swede mash, peanuts and couple of chunks of cheese.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips

If you ditched ALL carbs, you could eat meat and fish plus veg oils and butter. Most hard cheese and eggs have just a trace.
I am very low carb (12g per meal). I don't think I could (would want to) go any lower.

It is recorded that the Eskimo / Inuits consumed no carbs (just ate meat and fish) and had no cancer, diebetees, heart disease etc (eg they had no western disease until around 1900 when wheat and carbs were introduced into their diet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people