Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oops was about to order one. Thanks Noblehead:)

You could still check first, your podiatrist or gp will say if they are safe for you to use, I'm just going by previous discussions on the forum where foot massager's have been the topic of conversation.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks Mike I do hope so I even put bubble wrap on my feet thinking this would help sounds crazy I know but I would try anything lol.

There's one other thing you can try ... we make holeproof socks (double thickness wool called explorers) and they're REALLY good. Then add a decent pair of sheepskin ugg boots (make sure they have a heel) and you're feet will love you.

All available on ebay.co.uk

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I think UGG boots work better without socks,I live in them in the winter.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I think UGG boots work better without socks,I live in them in the winter.

They can but only as long as they're TRUE sheepskin. They ain't cheap by any means, but as an inside replacement for slippers, you cannot beat them. :)

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
There's one other thing you can try ... we make holeproof socks (double thickness wool called explorers) and they're REALLY good. Then add a decent pair of sheepskin ugg boots (make sure they have a heel) and you're feet will love you.

All available on ebay.co.uk
Thanks Mike I shall look into the socks,also did try a pair of ugg boots on and yes they were so comfy.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The foot massager's are not recommended for people with diabetes, I think most will come with a warning in the product details and instructions booklet. I can't see why cooling your feet in tepid water would be a problem, if you have nerve damage to the feet then it's best to check the temperature with your hands first before putting your feet into the water.
Thanks noblehead I actually didn't think of the warning signs for suffers,looks like not only do we have to worry about what we eat we have to make sure other things are suitable:(

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had terrible problems with my feet, exactly as you described, progressively getting worse after my accident. I now realise it must have been from the diabetes which was undiagnosed for a long time.
I did pretty much all the same things as you have done.
Thick padded socks etc.
The biggest difference in the comfort of my feet was buying MBT shoes. They stopped a lot of the pain, particularly that feeling of walking on your bones.
They are expensive but so worth it.
I'm now in a wheelchair so have no need of shoes for walking, which is just as well as the pup has just chewed up all three pairs this month.
Now reduced to fluffy slipper boots :rolleyes: but they are warm and comfy.
I had two open wounds on the bottom of my feet from 1996, that wouldn't heal. I got one to heal in 2008, but the other would never heal, until this summer when I was eventually diagnosed with diabetes. I found this one healed after I had kept my sugar levels normal for a few months.
I have also found that Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols help with the burning pain.
Hi Dibbles1 Thanks for replying,can you tell me what MBT shoes are?I do hate the feeling of when it feels like I am walking on my bones sometimes I have to walk on the sides of my feet or my heals when it is to painful.I have read that about slow healing wounds or they don't heal that must of been awful for you.Oh how lovely you have a new pup what is it?

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I just sold my MBTs on e bay,I just could not get used to them,bought the Go Walk instead,never worn anything as comfortable.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good morning everyone so would like to ask you all what about Acupuncture has anyone tried this for there feet or do I really have to grin and bear it,I have been given Metformin 500mg 1a day but did decide to try diet first,I do have diabetes in my family my uncle is type 1 since the age of about 8.Oh I really don't know anymore just feels like diabetes is controlling me and not me controlling it,does everyone feel like this when they are newly diagnosed feel so overwhelmed at the moment:arghh:

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi snowy12, when we first get diagnosed with diabetes...it's a shock! But the good news is as demonstrated by our fellow diabetics...we can get back our lives and have good outcomes, the help and advice is here, and if you ask questions and use a meter to test your bg's levels , you will see good resultslook forward to you posting your progress .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good morning everyone so would like to ask you all what about Acupuncture has anyone tried this for there feet or do I really have to grin and bear it,I have been given Metformin 500mg 1a day but did decide to try diet first,I do have diabetes in my family my uncle is type 1 since the age of about 8.Oh I really don't know anymore just feels like diabetes is controlling me and not me controlling it,does everyone feel like this when they are newly diagnosed feel so overwhelmed at the moment:arghh:

I really think you would need to speak with your gp before considering acupuncture as a treatment for your foot problems, as mentioned earlier we do have to be very careful with our feet and some treatments methods are best avoided.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I really think you would need to speak with your gp before considering acupuncture as a treatment for your foot problems, as mentioned earlier we do have to be very careful with our feet and some treatments methods are best avoided.
Yes your right I shall wait till my next appointment Thank you.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi snowy12, when we first get diagnosed with diabetes...it's a shock! But the good news is as demonstrated by our fellow diabetics...we can get back our lives and have good outcomes, the help and advice is here, and if you ask questions and use a meter to test your bg's levels , you will see good resultslook forward to you posting your progress .
Hi clivethedrive thanks for replying yes I guess I am just having a feel sorry for myself day:arghh:,I am using a meter the nurse told me just too test 2 a week but how on earth will that work so I am not listening to her on that she said as my fingers will get sore I can understand that bit but you will never know what is causing you to fluctuate though?My Readings have not been to bad at least I think, they are as follows:5.6-5.8 first thing in the morning,2hrs after my dinner it 6.-7.4 these are the ranges I have been getting I did have a low one of 4.9 and also as high as 13.0 but I had Alpen so all cereal is off.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the ugg boot recommendation (or Emu, Bearpaw or similar).

I live in them, all winter. Unbelievably comfortable, soft, snuggly and warm.

Always used to have cold feet - til I got my first pair. Never looked back.

Well worth the investment. But only buy real sheepskin. The synthetic ones aren't warm, don't hold their shape or offer support, and smell.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with the ugg boot recommendation (or Emu, Bearpaw or similar).

I live in them, all winter. Unbelievably comfortable, soft, snuggly and warm.

Always used to have cold feet - til I got my first pair. Never looked back.

Well worth the investment. But only buy real sheepskin. The synthetic ones aren't warm, don't hold their shape or offer support, and smell.
Thank you for your reply,as I do not wear them do they tend to make your feet to hot,as my feet mostly burn every day and on the odd occasion they have been cold.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply,as I do not wear them do they tend to make your feet to hot,as my feet mostly burn every day and on the odd occasion they have been cold.

I've always found that my feet are comfortable - never hot, or cold, but just right.

I think it is because the sheepskin naturally regulates, or something.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've always found that my feet are comfortable - never hot, or cold, but just right.

Thank you Brunneria.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, newly diagnosed ,really need to test 3/4 times a day , until you know what affects your b.s levels your bs levels are quiet good at the mo' .keep testing!

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, newly diagnosed ,really need to test 3/4 times a day , until you know what affects your b.s levels your bs levels are quiet good at the mo' .keep testing!
image.jpg
Thank you I am trying really hard to keep them low,hopefully my feet will improve,the council sent me a sharps box this morning to dispose of all the needles ect,now I can get abit more organised.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Yep, they breathe unlike synthetic fabric and regulate your temperatures :)