First Christmas with type 2

Nikkig

I was facing Christmas with a little apprehension but luckily it passed with no problems. I had good food and enjoyed myself - even had a dessert spoonful of Christmas pud with no adverse effect.

But today is a different matter and I have yet to work out why! Things were ok until lunchtime. Since then I have been having that awful feeling that you get when you have overdone the carbs. But I haven't! The only thing that I can think that is different today is pickled onions. My plus 2 hours were at 9 :shock: copious water, sleep and feeling absolutely naff and I am back to the 5s - are pickled onions that dangerous? :***:

hophead

My own view on this is that it easy to become a little paranoid when newly diagnosed and look for reasons for any slight unwellness might be something to do with the diabetes. I do it myself at times but I just give myself a reality check that feeling "slightly strange" now and then is something that happens once in a while. Another slant on this might be that getting diabetes under control and losing weight has SO many health benefits that feeling under the weather is not as common as it once was!

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear you have had a frustrating and off day. It's obviously either the onions ( which, I'm sure I have read, can be high in sugars ) or you may just be fighting some virus or potential bug ... which causes the BGs to rise.

I know how annoying it is to get 9s though. Sometimes, you can be plunged into feeling down when you've only just be doing really well. I had the same a couple of days ago.

Take heart that you've made astonishing improvements and that you are managing your Type 2 so well.

This is just a hiccup :sick:

Good luck with tomorrow's readings.

Cath x

KaseyCoff

Onions themselves can be fairly high in fructose (natural fruit / vegetable sugar). I'd be surprised if the pickling solution didn't have some kind of sugar in as well. And I'm not sure what, if any, relationship exists between sodium and blood sugar, but it seems to be that a lot of diabetics have hypertension. Even if you don't have high blood pressure (as a condition, I mean) I would think that any food high in sodium would raise your blood pressure somewhat higher than normal. Your body would read this as some kind of "stress," and stress in and of itself can raise blood sugar, so... perhaps there is some kind of connection.

If nothing else, I would note that the episode happened when the only obvious difference in nutrition for the day was the pickled onion. Next time you have pickled onion, it might be worth doing a quick-stick beforehand, to see what the BG is, then doing a recheck post-meal, to see if there's a spike.

For what it's worth, the whole thing about "diabetic diet" is almost like a throw of the dice - what adversely affects one person won't cause the next person any problems. It's all a matter of trial and error, with an eye toward developing a personalized diet. IMHO.
:wink: