First Review Since Diagnosis, with my Own GP!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I had my first review with my own GP since diagnosis at the beginning of May. (I only saw another GP in the practise on diagnosis as I was squeezed in at short notice).
He immediately noticed I'd lost weight (2 1/2 stone to be exact!) and was pretty gobsmaked at my reduction in HbA1c from 70 to 45. He kept referring to my 'life style' changes but didn't ask what they were and I must admit I chickened out of mentioning low carb dieting! I did mention that I was self monitoring and he kind of glossed over that! My BP wasn't good enough to reduce those meds, I think I was a bit excited! He did mention statins but I said I wanted to see what happened between now and next tests which he was more than happy with. So I have to return in 10 weeks for repeat bloods and another review. I actually can't wait! I can't believe I actually like going to the Drs now!

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You are doing SO well!!!

Wow, 2 and a half stones AND huge reduction in BG - that is really wonderful. :) :)

At some point, some one is bounce to say that there must have been an error on the first HbA1c or that all this amazing improvement is by you following their lifestyle advice.

Reactions: Brunneria

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing SO well!!!

Wow, 2 and a half stones AND huge reduction in BG - that is really wonderful. :) :)

At some point, some one is bounce to say that there must have been an error on the first HbA1c or that all this amazing improvement is by you following their lifestyle advice.
Ha ha, they can't say that the HbA1c of 70 was erroneous as it was a recheck of one the week before that was 67!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ha ha, they can't say that the HbA1c of 70 was erroneous as it was a recheck of one the week before that was 67!

Ah well, then they'll definitely say its because you followed their 'excellent' and oh so 'healthy' lifestyle guidelines. :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

And what do we expect if most of us hide LCHF from our GPS, we are all guilty of stopping our GPs leaning from us.

Reactions: grante

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

That even more impressive as your HbA1c was going up a lot and you have not just stop it going up, but made it go down a lot.

Reactions: Prem51

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And what do we expect if most of us hide LCHF from our GPS, we are all guilty of stopping our GPs leaning from us.

I don't hide it - they just aren't interested. Before I started low carb I made an appointment to talk to my GP about it. He's the one that is supposed to be the doctor at that health centre with a special interest in diabetes. When I said that I had done some research and I was interested in attempting low carb he told me he didn't have time to talk with me about ' hippy dippy' diets. As I said, just NOT interested.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It has been shown many time that to change how someone thinks at least five different people need to communicate the message at different times and in different ways.

One big problem with diets is that a low of people say they are doing xxx, but are not, hence it is assumed that xxx does not work. Hence GPs are often told my someone that they are doing something, the tests show it does not work, and the GP does not know the person has mislead themselves and the GP. Hence BG testing before and after meals is such a powerful tool.

Reactions: Prem51

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Rachox ..
Well done and many congrats on your excellent results in such a short time :happy::happy:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had my first review with my own GP since diagnosis at the beginning of May. (I only saw another GP in the practise on diagnosis as I was squeezed in at short notice).
He immediate noticed I'd lost weight (2 1/2 stone to be exact!) and was pretty gobsmaked at my reduction in HbA1c from 70 to 45. He kept referring to my 'life style' changes but didn't ask what they were and I must admit I chickened out of mentioning low carb dieting! I did mention that I was self monitoring and he kind of glossed over that! My BP wasn't good enough to reduce those meds, I think I was a bit excited! He did mention statins but I said I wanted to see what happened between now and next tests which he was more than happy with. So I have to return in 10 weeks for repeat bloods and another review. I actually can't wait! I can't believe I actually like going to the Drs now!
Great results very well done indeed! such a shame your doc didn't ask you how you did it.. maybe because he realises it can't possibly be by following NHS advice..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know, and I really wanted to say something, as I agree with you completely. I shall come clean next time for the greater good, I promise.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just say I restrict the carbs that my body can't cope with. Even the dietitian was happy and I gave her a complete days food with weights and carbs etc. I asked her if it was OK that most of my carbs came from vegetables and she said that was fine. Both GP and nurse seem happy with the idea of restricting carbs. Even Desmond course told us to restrict carbs. This might be a better phrase.

Reactions: ringi and Rachox

Robkww

Great results very well done indeed! such a shame your doc didn't ask you how you did it.. maybe because he realises it can't possibly be by following NHS advice..

Apologies as this is off message but @bulkbiker, this is nagging away at me - your avatar has changed but I have to ask - is it the same man, such a difference!

Reactions: zand

Robkww

He immediate noticed I'd lost weight (2 1/2 stone to be exact!) and was pretty gobsmaked at my reduction in HbA1c from 70 to 45. He kept referring to my 'life style' changes but didn't ask what they were and I must admit I chickened out of mentioning low carb dieting! I did mention that I was self monitoring and he kind of glossed over that! My BP wasn't good enough to reduce those meds, I think I was a bit excited! He did mention statins but I said I wanted to see what happened between now and next tests which he was more than happy with. So I have to return in 10 weeks for repeat bloods and another review. I actually can't wait! I can't believe I actually like going to the Drs now!

Great job @Rachox - you should be really proud of your progress - keep it up and spread the word!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw my practice diabetes dedicated nurse - just appointed, or perhaps inherited from the practice that has amalgamated with my own, I made a point of contradicting her, as she kept on about how exercise had made such a difference. I suspect lifestyle changes is code for doing what we tell you.
Yes I am going out of the house more, but it is as a result of feeling better and recovering from the effects of the Metformin and Atorvastatin which kept me indoors and inactive day after day. I even told her I am doing Atkins so the skimmed milk she recommended isn't relevant as I don't use any milk at all.
A couple of days later I had a phone call requesting I make an appointment with my doctor - no indication of why though - so we will just have to wait and see.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies as this is off message but @bulkbiker, this is nagging away at me - your avatar has changed but I have to ask - is it the same man, such a difference!
Yep that's me (on the right...hehe) bit slimmer.. although the old avatar pic was quite old too...
this was me before I discovered low carb..again me on the right!

IMG_3413.jpg