first time type 2 diabetes and help please.

happyman1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
jugde, argumentive, challenging and rude.
hello guys/girls, i am hoping you guys are okay.

im new to this website and recently new diagnosed type 2 diabetes yesterday, only just found out and it give me a massive shocking when nurse told me that i have bit high sugar in my blood (i'd been eaten healthy food in past 4 months) and i choose pepsi max (there's zero sugars) so how ever it possible? okay once happened then it's happen. i will need to accepting it.

there's couple of question i would like to ask,
- would i check on blood result more regularly like, more than once per day to keep level in balance?
- what if i keep it under controlled but sudden to drop below 5 then what will happen? my partner brought the chocolate just incase if i end up drowns or shakening either way then what should i do if you have any experience please.
-which food should i watch out for please? i need to adapt the way i eaten because i am total lost, i have no idea what to do.
- what should i do if i apply bricklayer course level 2, will it affected my diabete or something ?

help would be nice and thank you guys. keep positive :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the advice on what a healthy diet consists of is ruled by the people selling it, and even though there have been people advising against eating a high carb diet they have been shouted down by those with a vested interest in profits.
If you are type 2 then you need to eat things which do not raise your blood glucose levels, so that you lower your levels of insulin and your pancreas gets a rest.
If your blood glucose levels do fall naturally, rather than being pushed down by medication then your liver will provide it automatically - it has stores of glycogen for exactly that purpose.
If you have had fairly high blood glucose levels and eat fewer carbs then you might feel wobbly, but it is normally a reaction to losing the nice sugary bath and having to get used to normal levels again - a drink, a tiny amount of carbohydrate and a few minutes rest sorted me out each time it happened to me, but after 36 hours the sensations went away.
The usual suspects raising blood glucose are grains, potatoes, and high sugar fruits. Usually a limit of 10 percent carbs is advised to prevent spikes, any foods with higher levels need to be eaten in strict moderation, but when you have a meter you can check just before and then 2 hours later to see how a meal has affected you, and if levels have risen a lot then you have eaten too many carbs and should reduce them to stay safe.

D

Deleted Account

@Resurgam covers most of it.
But I just wanted to comment on your concerns about a low BG. Anything below 4 mmol/l (not 5 mmol/l) is concerning. Unless you are treating your diabetes with medication (such as insulin) you are unlikely to get this low However, as @Resurgam says, if your body is used to a higher BG, you may feel strange at first as it comes down ... but it will become normal.

If you, or anyone else, does find their BG dropping too low, it needs to be treated with fast acting sugars. Typical treatments are Lucozade, jelly babies and Glucose tablets. Unfortunately, it is not an excuse to choc-out: due to the fat in chocolate, the sugar does not get into your blood stream very fast. I just have to be honest and admit chocolate is just a treat ... nor a treatment.

Good luck with your diabetes journey.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
hello guys/girls, i am hoping you guys are okay.

im new to this website and recently new diagnosed type 2 diabetes yesterday, only just found out and it give me a massive shocking when nurse told me that i have bit high sugar in my blood (i'd been eaten healthy food in past 4 months) and i choose pepsi max (there's zero sugars) so how ever it possible? okay once happened then it's happen. i will need to accepting it.

there's couple of question i would like to ask,
- would i check on blood result more regularly like, more than once per day to keep level in balance?
- what if i keep it under controlled but sudden to drop below 5 then what will happen? my partner brought the chocolate just incase if i end up drowns or shakening either way then what should i do if you have any experience please.
-which food should i watch out for please? i need to adapt the way i eaten because i am total lost, i have no idea what to do.
- what should i do if i apply bricklayer course level 2, will it affected my diabete or something ?

help would be nice and thank you guys. keep positive :)
Welcome to the forum @happyman1986. First of all you should check your sugars before a meal and 1-2 hours after to gauge your response. If your level fall below 4.5 and you start to feel shakey, take some jellybeans or some kind of carbohydrate to raise your levels back to normal. Glucose tablets are a great help here. As a bricklayer under strenuous activity it is a must to something like this with you.

As for foods, try to avoid or minimise such items as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Stick to a low carb diet such as those here in the forum. It will be difficult at first but you get used to it.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @happyman1986 and welcome!

Can you tell us which diabetes medications you are on please? That will help us with any answers. It can make a big difference.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. I going to tag @daisy1 for some new member advice for you.

You have had some great advice so far, do you know your test result details? These are important records to help you track your progress.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@happyman1986

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

sssm64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys we are talking about cut down on carbs what about brown rice .wholemeal pitta bread and wholemeal flour are these still bad for type2 diabetes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys we are talking about cut down on carbs what about brown rice .wholemeal pitta bread and wholemeal flour are these still bad for type2 diabetes
Yes - the colour makes no difference, they are still carbohydrate and are going to convert to glucose as they are digested. The time taken might be longer, but you are still likely to see high readings.
There is variation between people, so it is advisable to start off by testing before and after meals to see how you are coping, or not, with various foods.

Reactions: happyman1986