Fitbit

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Does anyone else here use a Fitbit? http://www.fitbit.com/?

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm already hooked. I love the idea of setting goals and competing with myself.

I did 4215 steps during 35 minutes of Zumba this morning.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I looked at one of these, I was especially interested in the sleep bit.

I'm a sucker for fitness gadgets. My two favorites are my Garmin GPS watch and my Withings wifi scales. I reckon that the scales show exactly when I caught the old diabetes, from where my weight increases to a maximum, and then suddenly starts dropping for no apparent reason.

Let us know how you get on with it.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Day one of the Fitbit has been really interesting.

I'm quite pleased with the amount of steps as I was working today and not able to get my usual amount of exercise in.

bc0ec54a.jpg

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
STOP TEMPTING ME TO WASTE MONEY!!!!! :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Yes, I'm interested too. How does it know how often you wake up and how long it takes to go to sleep?

didie

Dislikes
You wear the Fitbit in a wristband and log the time you go to bed and get up and your sleep time comes up in a graph. I'm very interested to see what it says about my sleep as I am a rubbish sleeper.

didie

Dislikes
Here's my log from last night. I seem to have inherited the family trait for insomnia and usually get up early :(

39f66931.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ouch - I see what you mean about being a rubbish sleeper :shock:

but how does it know how long it took you to fall asleep?

didie

Dislikes
I know and going to bed early doesn't help because I'm just wide awake at 1-2 am. When I had the stroke I slept for ages which was rather nice, but now I'm back to my usual dire pattern.

didie

Dislikes
It must measure motion. I think it's quite neat.

My goal today is to climb 30 floors.

fitbit UK

The Fitbit tracker knows you are asleep when the motion sensor registers a lack of movement for a period of time. We use algorithms based on heaps of academic sleep research and this is switched on when you press the button for 1 second to go into "sleep" mode.
Two sensors inside the tracker. One is a 3D accelerometer, similar to that in a Wii or in an iPad / iPhone and the second sensor is an altimeter.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blimey do you trawl forums where fit bit is mentioned. Seriously thinking of getting one tho.

didie

Dislikes
Hello Fitbit UK :D

Dawn, I love my Fitbit. Yesterday I was challenged to climb 100 floors, so I did. The downside is that I had a bloody great big liver dump overnight because I finished the floors far too late in the evening. Next time I'll get my timings right. I do love a challenge and competing against myself.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Did you get yours off amazon? As for trawling I meant fitbit uk not you hun.

didie

Dislikes
Yes, I got mine from Amazon.

I know you meant Fitbit. I think they must search themselves on Google :D

There's a Fitbit community as well, so if you get one, let me know and I'll friend you.

iainf1

I have had one for a couple of months and find it very good. It has helped me enormously in my fitness regime, however it is not very good at logging cycling (which is fully recognized by the company) and so I use a Heart Rate Monitor linked to my iPhone and running the Digifit app. It, along with www.myfitnesspal.com app, integrate and give a good overall picture.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really like the look of this. If they could shrink it down to a watch, I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

didie

Dislikes
Patch, it is a tiny wee thing that you clip on. It is about 2 inches long and 0.5 inches wide.

Since last Friday when I got going with it I have walked 50 miles. It is very motivating. I just want to push myself a bit more each day.

iainf1

No it is not waterproof, per se but if you do accidentally submerge it the advice is to put it in a bowl of rice, which will soak up the moisture. Don't think it is guaranteed to work - I won't be trying it!