Fizzy Drinks are evil (DM article)

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Article in today's Daily Mail posits that fizzy drinks are evil...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...t-touch-fizzy-drinks-Frankly-theyre-evil.html

should clarify that they appear to paint all fizzy drinks as evil, but reading the article has the subtext that it is the sugar content that is particularly dangerous. Apparently research has it that it is a cause of pancreatic cancer and also leads to changes in body metabolism to prefer sugar as a fuel rather than burning fat.

I've never known Soda Water itself (just plain carbonated water) to be dangerous unless you count the whisky I usually take with my soda water... :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I may have one fizzy drink a year, if I'm out on a very hot day and it's very cold and sugar free, but thats about it. I rarely buy fizzy drinks for the home, my daughter can have a very small amount, throughtout the year, as a treat. That's it. RRB
ps everything in moderation, thats the key :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've just ordered two new soda-stream gas cannisters, to make lots of fizzy water to help wean me off of the diet coke:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31717&start=15

Several people have reported that drinking diet sodas has stalled their weight loss.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Diet sodas are a problem for me(well,in the context of giving them up they are) I get through vats of Sprite lite and orange Fanta zero!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I used to drink quite a lot of diet coke then stopped completely for about 6 months. When I had just 1 can of diet coke I felt so weird I thought I was going hyperglycaemic, but bloods were fine. It was the shock of all that caffeine and **** in the drink that fried my brain. I've not touched one since.

Water and coffee will do for now. Plus booze. Don't forget the booze.

Best

Dillinger

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Never in all my life touched the stuff, thats probably a lie, because I must have tried it at some point to come to the conclusion bubbles in drinks are just plain nasty, can't stand fizz even lager or champagne.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got no chance then, fizzy sugary drinks were my favourites before diagnosis - up to 6 litres per week. No wonder I'm here :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
))Denise(( said:
I've got no chance then, fizzy sugary drinks were my favourites before diagnosis - up to 6 litres per week. No wonder I'm here :(

:shock: :shock: is that true, you drank all that syrupy junk :lolno: RRB

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, I have never drunk tea or coffee. I drink water now apart from the occasional diet coke (and glass of wine).

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Robinredbreast said:
))Denise(( said:

:shock: :shock: is that true, you drank all that syrupy junk :lolno: RRB

Is that the fizzy drink equivalent of "who ate all the pies"?

6 litres per week is mere beginners level. I could drink that in a day.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
When we had the heatwave last week I wasn't far off myself!! It's not going to go down well this BUT I don't see the harm in Diet Soda,has no effect on my BG at all compared to fresh fruit juice which was guarenteed to spike me into the high 20's.

A

Anonymous

I used to drink up to 8 cans a day of coke or irn bru. Never drank coffee, tea, milk and hate the taste of water , i've been drinking far less since changing to pepsi max and diet coke, have found myself drinking sugar free diluting drinks now...Not enjoying them one bit but know i need to try stay off the fizzy stuff....Ive had all the withdrawels, shakes etc, headaches are the worst, if thats how it affects you, I really wonder why all these years i never felt ill drinking the stuff....I suppose ive paid the ultimate price now though :roll:

Sharon xx

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't believe that I drank so much of the sugary fizzy drinks. I would put up to 4, 2 litre bottles of orangina in my shopping trolley. I hated artificial sweeteners (still not too keen on them). I didn't suffer from withdrawl from them but suspect that was that it was a fruit drink and not coke.

I went straight over to water - we had bottled water at work at that point, we now have filtered tap water there. This tastes loads better than tap water, although I live in a soft water area and that is nicer than hard water.

Maybe a water filter may be good for you Sharon or bottled water, 2 litres of bottled water is a lot cheaper than the fizzy.

I drink diet coke about once a fortnight, but I do keep some in the car for the caffine if I am driving late.

My teeth are in a terrible state because of the sweet fizzy drinks, a good thing about giving them up on diagnosis is that I'm not bathing my teeth in sugar now.

Can we have a club Sharon - the ex-fizzyaholics?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
))Denise(( said:

My name is Stephen and I'm a coke-a-holic. It's been 9 hours since my last drink, and I think my head is going to explode. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

))Denise(( said:
I can't believe that I drank so much of the sugary fizzy drinks. I would put up to 4, 2 litre bottles of orangina in my shopping trolley. I hated artificial sweeteners (still not too keen on them). I didn't suffer from withdrawl from them but suspect that was that it was a fruit drink and not coke.

I went straight over to water - we had bottled water at work at that point, we now have filtered tap water there. This tastes loads better than tap water, although I live in a soft water area and that is nicer than hard water.

Maybe a water filter may be good for you Sharon or bottled water, 2 litres of bottled water is a lot cheaper than the fizzy.

I drink diet coke about once a fortnight, but I do keep some in the car for the caffine if I am driving late.

My teeth are in a terrible state because of the sweet fizzy drinks, a good thing about giving them up on diagnosis is that I'm not bathing my teeth in sugar now.

Yeah, I feel a whole lot better from being off the sugary drinks, Im drinking a lot more diluting sugar free stuff now and actually enjoying it....I've noticed a difference in my clothes too...Not so tight around the midriff lol...I have bags more energy too now, although still struggling I am determined to get off the fizzy stuff altogether....I like flavoured water, so just trying to find out what ones are okay to drink etc...

New to diabetes, so want to get on top of it before i lose control altogether...

We should definately start a club lol

Sharon xx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Caffeine free diet coke plays an integral part in my get healthy campaign and is therefore staying. It is the one liquid I enjoy drinking in quantity so that I can get a decent intake of liquid each day. It stays :lol:

A

Anonymous

xyzzy said:
Caffeine free diet coke plays an integral part in my get healthy campaign and is therefore staying. It is the one liquid I enjoy drinking in quantity so that I can get a decent intake of liquid each day. It stays :lol:

lmao...I enjoyed too many fizzy drinks for years, hence me being diabetic now...I piled on the weight, substituted meals for cans of coke or irn bru...Paying the price now, I just cant get used to drinking diet stuff, but getting there when i need something to hit the taste buds lol..

SouthernGeneral6512

sharonmac said:
I used to drink up to 8 cans a day of coke or irn bru. Never drank coffee, tea, milk and hate the taste of water , i've been drinking far less since changing to pepsi max and diet coke, have found myself drinking sugar free diluting drinks now...Not enjoying them one bit but know i need to try stay off the fizzy stuff....Ive had all the withdrawels, shakes etc, headaches are the worst, if thats how it affects you, I really wonder why all these years i never felt ill drinking the stuff....I suppose ive paid the ultimate price now though :roll:

Sharon xx
I was addicted to it as well. I say addcited because I've tried the odd can since I gave it up and it really is like an instant high :sick:.

I'm not sure if it's the sugar or the caffeine or perhaps a combination of all the different things but for me at least it's a powerful lure and one I will probably always struggle to avoid :?

A

Anonymous

[/quote]
I was addicted to it as well. I say addcited because I've tried the odd can since I gave it up and it really is like an instant high :sick:.

I'm not sure if it's the sugar or the caffeine or perhaps a combination of all the different things but for me at least it's a powerful lure and one I will probably always struggle to avoid :?[/quote]

I thought i was doing well last week, felt great, was out and about and was thirsty, so bought a can of irn-bru (should have had diet coke instead but didnt, force of habit i guess)....Drank it...and about 30 minutes later, felt mad itchy and lethargic, even though it did give me a little high as soon as i drank it...Tasted awful to me too, so guess i'm sticking to the diet coke now lol..Guess what I'm saying is, the sugary fizzy drinks were my guilty pleasure but in 3 weeks since being told I'm diabetic, i knew I had to change that, ive even stopped smoking (I might lapse a little as i smoked for over 20 years, but will try my hardest to stay off them). I certainly got that wake up call that was long overdue!!

Now i just need to get the diet in order and move my backside more

Shron xx