Forgive Me, For I Have Sinned (Low-Carb)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you do a post drink glucose test? I am curious how high that went...or how long it lasted...

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I drank a pint of excellent German Hefe Weissbier (21g of carbs, blowing most of my daily budget with one drink).
No sin what so ever. Think of the therapeutic stree relieving factor as well as the pure enjoyment. You could always take a short walk and then be guilt free! Or just enjoy it and ride it out. It could have been much worse.

Reactions: Freema

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lecker! I love a good Hefeweizen! And it sounds as if you enjoyed it, @Grateful , so that's brilliant.

Prost!
:)

It was great!

Did you do a post drink glucose test? I am curious how high that went...or how long it lasted...

I never self-test. Just the HbA1C test at the clinic every three months. I want to keep things that way until and unless my A1C results worsen markedly. I'm an obsessive type and worry that I would be driven bonkers if I were testing all the time.

No sin what so ever. Think of the therapeutic stree relieving factor as well as the pure enjoyment. You could always take a short walk and then be guilt free! Or just enjoy it and ride it out. It could have been much worse.

I do love beer. Just maybe, some time in the future, I will be able to relax the carb budget a big (and trim some more of the food carbs) to slip in a daily beer.

Life is too short not to sin occasionally. ;)

It looks like everyone else is perfect today. If not, this thread is your Online Confessional (for light-hearted stuff, not for the big crashes/burnouts). Welcome!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like everyone else is perfect today. If not, this thread is your Online Confessional (for light-hearted stuff, not for the big crashes/burnouts). Welcome!

OK, my confession. Tonight for tea I am having double fried eggs, mushrooms, a tablespoon of baked beans, and some chips, accompanied by my usual half a toasted Lidl roll and a large glass of red....... because we are feeling very lazy today, and all in the interests of science.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, my confession. Tonight for tea I am having double fried eggs, mushrooms, a tablespoon of baked beans, and some chips, accompanied by my usual half a toasted Lidl roll and a large glass of red....... because we are feeling very lazy today, and all in the interests of science.
Crumbs! You don't do things by halves, do you? Good luck! I bet you get away with it (this once - making a habit of it would be tempting fate and just might get you expelled from the Forum).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
German you say. Well a few Heil Mary's should do it. Put it behind you and don't worry.

Seriously though I have a tip for you. Don't do it again if you are eating or have just eaten. You get a double whammy spike which can be of quite long duration and quite frightening.

Reactions: TIANDB

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An excursion from the route is natural sometimes. What I can't get my head around is wheat beer.

Even when I lived in one of the world's biggest brewing cities in the world for a few years, wheat beer was always a step too far.

I hope you enjoyed it though, @Grateful

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my double egg, mushrooms, beans and a few chips plus half a Lidl Roll, glass of red and a cup of tea. Mine was 6.3. Chuffed with that, and I tested twice to make sure! 6.2 half an hour later, 5.3 at 3 hours.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my double egg, mushrooms, beans and a few chips plus half a Lidl Roll, glass of red and a cup of tea. Mine was 6.3. Chuffed with that, and I tested twice to make sure! 6.2 half an hour later, 5.3 at 3 hours.

I didn't realize it was possible to program your own meter to ignore beans and chips - you cad and bounder you! :)

I went to a friend's 70th birthday at the weekend and 'forgot' to take my meter. I think the (minor over-indulgence) of Paddy's whiskey might just have blown it up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't realize it was possible to program your own meter to ignore beans and chips - you cad and bounder you! :)

I have sinned again by being slightly misleading. I have always been OK with potatoes chipped or new boiled in very small portions. The fat on the chips helps, but I only have half a dozen, which is probably the same as 1 potato. It is the beans I am experimenting with, and again it was a small portion, and only now am I able to manage these after 3 years on low carb.

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have sinned again by being slightly misleading. I have always been OK with potatoes chipped or new boiled in very small portions. The fat on the chips helps, but I only have half a dozen, which is probably the same as 1 potato. It is the beans I am experimenting with, and again it was a small portion, and only now am I able to manage these after 3 years on low carb.

If it's an experiment, it's not a sin. I'm pretty sure that's a rule.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last Wednesday I had my three-monthly HbA1c and as I walked out of the doctor's office, a little red-colored fellow with funny horns and a pitchfork appeared on my shoulder.

He whispered into my ear: "Your next HbA1c is in three months. It measures BG for the previous 8 to 12 weeks but tends to be a bit biased toward the more recent end of that period. There's that nice liquor store on the drive home."

Aaahhh, an excellent pint of German Hefe Weissbier (21g of carbs) during that early-evening hour at home. Then, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. Life is good.

So this morning I am reconciling my online bank account and the hard facts, in the form of daily charges at the liquor store, are there: It started on Wednesday, then daily pints of Weissbier on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Plus the usual wine with dinner.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited: