Forum support for alternative diets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think we give those people who are on a diet different to LCHF enough support on the forum ?.
I have noticed many times that if someone says they are not doing LCHF but are following another diet and are doing well on it they get hardly any of the positive or the well done replies that those following LCHF do
I guess if the diets are in the minority then there would be less support as there are less people following that eating plan !
Personally I have tried a few different ways of eating .. And can honestly say the LCHF was the easiest for me to adapt to. But then I am a vegetarian, may be different for carnivores. If I notice anyone doing well regardless of the Diet .. I will congratulate ... But I don't thrall through the posts all the time ..

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frankly I think that arguing about diets is a fruitless exercise. If the diet works than a member should continue with it. I'd agree that there tends to be a trend towards more people focussing on the LCHF approach because that is pretty much the only way that most T2s can control their bg levels.

For T1s, it's a bit less of an issue as we do have injected insulin to cope, and many have found that different diets all work in different ways to help them achieve what they want.

Personally, I think diets are rather like religion. They all follow more or less the same dogma.
Precisely! Are we not all trying to live as healthily as we can to avoid diabetes complication?
Perhaps we need a rota to monitor and congratulate the success stories as appropriate. I did not need any congratulations when I managed to 'reverse' my diabetes 4 years ago. Only reason I told of it was that somebody else could benefit from it. I suspect most people who have achieved their goals here will feel the same.
There are many paths but we are all aiming for the same destination.

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Well, @mrspuddleduck, I am not sure about trying to second guess anyone else's intentions , or what they meant, but it seems clear from @Pinkorchid 's earlier post that he / she does not count Newcastle diet as being relevant here in this thread. So, I have revised my thinking to :

'There is still a covert opinion by some members that the Professor Taylor et al, Newcastle University intervention diet and eating regime, is irrelevant, despite several members reports of recent success.'

Maybe I am just a bit over-sensitive today, and I do not want to see this thread degenirate into a useless scap about diets, but if we are trying to interpret hidden meanings in other peoples' posts, it could appear that the OP is suggesting too many people are having success with LCHF.

@Pipp I wasn't trying to 'second guess' anyone's intentions, I was just explaining my interpretation of @Pinkorchid post. I was also trying to say that personally her post has done me a favour by reminding me that I could and should find the time to explore other options. Sue x

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I wasn't trying to 'second guess' anyone's intentions, I was just explaining my interpretation of @Pinkorchid
Ok, I understand second guessing to mean the same as interpreting something someone has said. Sorry for confusion, but I think it best to just take what it said to mean what is said.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Human beings are tribal and always have been. We tend to gravitate more towards people who share our beliefs about things that matter to us, including our eating habits.
There is no right or wrong way about congratulating others, it's an option that we all have as to whether we choose to or not. Nobody can make anyone decide what we should post so I am closing the thread as it is pointless going round in circles.

Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.