Found out yesterday I'm diabetic

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Callumchilled.
Like you I am recently diagnosed and though my figures were lower than yours I too am taking the first steps on an uncertain road. My diabetic nurse seemed far more worried about my diagnosis than I was - which made me more worried - now I'm probably more worried than her!
I'm glad you're feeling better about things. Without a shadow of doubt it helps that there are sympathetic ears (particularly on here) and there appear to be ways to understand and manage our condition.
Good luck.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen diabetic nurse now, and she says I'm type 2 diabetic. I had a good cry on her shoulder, and she said that was ok. It's just something new to get used to. She said I have to start having breakfast now as the pills can make you a bit windy if not. I'm feeling a lot better about it now that people are talking to me about it.

Then try to eat a breakfast totally without carbs Like bacon and egg , omelet with mushrooms , cheese and ham no bread ( or eat protein rolls from Lidl instead of ordinary bread (there hardly isn’t any carbs in those protein rolls ))
Or eat half an avocado with taco sauce or shrimps and mayo or a big handful of nuts and some cucumber and cherry tomatoes or Lidl roll with peanut butter or cottage cheese, or Greek full fat yoghurt ( no sugar added) with some berries as a treat . Fresh berries are a good treat if eaten with fat yoghurt or cream Good luck dear stay in this forum for friendship help and advice you’ll soon feel much better it you take the low carb approach serious and start learning it and do it most every day

Reactions: dbr10

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Keep your chin up and dont worry, youll be fine, stay in touch on the forum these guys really know what there talking about, I cant add any more than whats been said already, so I wish you good luck, and all the best

Reactions: ziggy_w

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hello Callumchilled.
Like you I am recently diagnosed and though my figures were lower than yours I too am taking the first steps on an uncertain road. My diabetic nurse seemed far more worried about my diagnosis than I was - which made me more worried - now I'm probably more worried than her!
I'm glad you're feeling better about things. Without a shadow of doubt it helps that there are sympathetic ears (particularly on here) and there appear to be ways to understand and manage our condition.
Good luck.
Don't panic! You are now part of a dedicated team. We all have lived the path of denial and dread, but - we are here to assist. I welcome you to the forum.

Hampshire_Lad

no spuds, no bread, no breakfast cereals, no fruit. It is hard in hospital.
This is the thing that confuses me a tad. Surely a 'low' carb high fat diet universally advised to start on here means you can have 'some' carbs?
So for example if you used to have 5 new potatoes with a roast dinner it will help your blood sugar to reduce that intake to 1 or 2 rather than eliminating them totally?
But i suppose it depends on how high your BG readings are....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This is the thing that confuses me a tad. Surely a 'low' carb high fat diet universally advised to start on here means you can have 'some' carbs?
So for example if you used to have 5 new potatoes with a roast dinner it will help your blood sugar to reduce that intake to 1 or 2 rather than eliminating them totally?

Welcome :). Yes, reducing from 5 spuds to 2 will help but reducing to none will help more if you really want to reduce your blood glucose.

Personally I would recommend a slow reduction in carbs over two or three weeks to find the level where your BG s are at a good level. It could be that you can eat some new potatoes or, like me, you may find that to maintain a good blood glucose level you have to wave them goodbye forever. You will need to test before and 2 hours after each meal with a meter to find your 'sweet spot".

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me - being me - from the moment I was diagnosed I went back to low carb eating, and I ordered a large amount of meat at the butcher on the way home. That evening I ate meat, next day I had a carbless first meal and then a bit of salad with the meat, next day I had fish, I think - with a little salad, and went on from there.
I did try to take the tablets, but I was so ill, so I gave up on them and just went on eating low carb.
I suppose that if nurses or doctors said 'oh this might make you incontinent, so you need to buy a professional quality carpet cleaner and sped three or four days at a time no more than twenty feet from a toilet.' they might not get many people to take Metformin. Yes, some people can take them and be absolutely fine but I wish they'd be a bit more open about the possible consequences.
Low carb foods are far more interesting than the high starch and sugar ones, I think. I have beef, pork, fish, hogget (well grown lamb) and find them all delicious, the idea of no more potato or rice really doesn't fill me with any sort of regret.

Reactions: Ixarix

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Callum, Welcome you've come to the best place for support and you're in the right place to help bring your sugar levels down.

I see daisy has already emailed you, don't be surprised if everything is all confusing to start with, all I would say is let the hospital look after you for the moment and at the first opportunity, see if they will give you a meter or your doctor and then start helping yourself eating to your meter and work out what you can eat and you can't.

But for now one step at a time and let the docs give you medicines to help you out.

Take Care.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

i agree with you and this is where testing before and after eating comes in, along with a food diary that includes portion sizes. I personally can eat 2 small potatoes without problem. My meter taught me this. my problems are more with grains. It is a long learning curve, and a meter is our best friend.