FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do the difference in readings change in one sensor?
Or stay the same distance out the whole time.
Not sure if I worded that one right

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the three bad sensors I had they were inconsistent - sometimes OK but sometimes out. If they were always out by a set amount, they would have been useful, but I had to resort to finger pricking which defeated the object of having the Libre. Thankfully Abbott replaced them.

Reactions: 2 people

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do get one I might look for an armband kind of thing to cover the sensor up. Got s feeling mine will get pulled off
I'm using sports tape with great success. People tend to like RockTape. I've tried it and I tend to lean towards KTTape being slightly better and more adhesive (you can get it in Boots). It stretches in multiple directions but cutting a little X in the middle of the tape gives the tape a bit more stretch so it fits over the sensor better and doesn't make it 'hug' your arm too much. I must say it feels much more protected. This is my first sensor over Compeed, it itches a tiny amount and I'm not sure if I'm just being a bit over sensitive about it but so far I think it's reaction free (4 days in).

Good luck.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised an update on my Compeed experiment. You may remember from my last posting that I cut a hole in the Compeed first and then stuck the Compeed on my arm. The Sensor was then put as centrally as possible onto the Compeed. I then covered it all over with Opsite for protection.

Well it lasted the full 14 days. There was some itching after 4 to 5 days but nowhere near as bad as previous sensors. The sensor varied in its accuracy varying by anything up to 2mmol under and over blood glucose readings.

The sensor has just expired and as you will see from the pictures there is irritation where the sensor has been touching the skin.

I think the only way to avoid this will be to put the sensor through the Compeed without making a hole first. I know from others that this can be risky.

View attachment 12314View attachment 12315

I had the exact same thing happen, I was surprised as the hole wasn't big enough for any adhesive to skin contact, anyway as soon as the itch started the sensor started to drift in accuracy.

I've fitted another now over Compeed. it actually went through the plaster this time. I didn't stretch my arm when I inserted it over Compeed so it had a bit of podge to fire into. So far it's the most accurate sensor I've worn which is nice, it itches a bit but I can't tell if it's skin reaction or just having something taped to my arm (I've got KT Tape over the top of it all).

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

whatever sensor you use, whatever meter you use...... even if you took 3/4 meters and used a drop of blood from the same finger or if you used 1 meter and tested using a different finger on each hand, you will never get the same reading. - with blood or when scanning

All these posts where people are making a deal out of their readings being out by .9 mmol, 1mmol , 2mmol etc are all irrelevant. If you look at all these variations, most of them are within the variable range.

I dont think i have been any luckier than another person because I attach a sensor as soon as my old sensor expires and then get a reading very similar to a finger prick.
Its all within the variable.

The best way to deal with this is to use a meter and then compare the averages with your HBA1c.

My HBA1C is spot on with my freestyle libre HBA1C. Given all these variations, I am sure that this would be the same for most others on the libre?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
whatever sensor you use, whatever meter you use...... even if you took 3/4 meters and used a drop of blood from the same finger or if you used 1 meter and tested using a different finger on each hand, you will never get the same reading. - with blood or when scanning

All these posts where people are making a deal out of their readings being out by .9 mmol, 1mmol , 2mmol etc are all irrelevant. If you look at all these variations, most of them are within the variable range.

I dont think i have been any luckier than another person because I attach a sensor as soon as my old sensor expires and then get a reading very similar to a finger prick.
Its all within the variable.

The best way to deal with this is to use a meter and then compare the averages with your HBA1c.

My HBA1C is spot on with my freestyle libre HBA1C. Given all these variations, I am sure that this would be the same for most others on the libre?

Spot on!

Should the sensor & blood test differ, there can be a huge number of variables that cause it. The body is a complicated beast & it's surprising how well it copes. Even when a sensor doesn't seem to track well, the trends are still a huge help.

I have my latest sensor over Cavilon and other that being a bit itchy the first 2 days has settled down nicely.

Does anyone have a method of getting rid of the red marks left by old sensors? Although they are fading, I'm now running out of places to attach on my arm that hasn't been used yet.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spot on!

Should the sensor & blood test differ, there can be a huge number of variables that cause it. The body is a complicated beast & it's surprising how well it copes. Even when a sensor doesn't seem to track well, the trends are still a huge help.

I have my latest sensor over Cavilon and other that being a bit itchy the first 2 days has settled down nicely.

Does anyone have a method of getting rid of the red marks left by old sensors? Although they are fading, I'm now running out of places to attach on my arm that hasn't been used yet.

As soon as you remove a sensor, wash the area with a cloth and some warm soapy water then after drying it, rub some bio oil into it. I rub bio oil into my skin on my arms, legs and injection sites every morning after my shower. Started using it on my face too and its the best product ever.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spot on!

My GP prescribed a tube of stereiod cream 'Mometasone Furoate' this is very successful in getting rid of the red itchy 'contact dermatitis' that I have experienced with the sensors. I would advise seeing your GP.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I'm back on with the Libre - first try since the mess it made of my arms in mid January. I've applied two coats of Cavillon and put the sensor over that. We'll see how it goes. I didn't give it any time to settle in as I didn't want to encourage skin irritation by keeping it on longer than 14 days. I've just done my first scan and it's about a mmol adrift from the BG reading at present. I hope it's going to be a good consistent sensor because I want to use it to help me settle onto my new Tresiba insulin. Fingers crossed the Cavillon works!

Smidge

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I'm back on with the Libre - first try since the mess it made of my arms in mid January. I've applied two coats of Cavillon and put the sensor over that. We'll see how it goes. I didn't give it any time to settle in as I didn't want to encourage skin irritation by keeping it on longer than 14 days. I've just done my first scan and it's about a mmol adrift from the BG reading at present. I hope it's going to be a good consistent sensor because I want to use it to help me settle onto my new Tresiba insulin. Fingers crossed the Cavillon works!

Smidge
I've got my fingers crossed for you. I am about to put my next sensor on over the top of a Compeed Medium plaster this time with no hole in the middle. I've got my fingers crossed that this will work.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it works out cheaper for me then. Ill have to see if my GP Can issue these instead, Man I really want this meter, its going to be so much less hassle when out and about.
Sadly not available on prescription

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Omnipod, when the Abbott literature suggests that the Libre sensor should be <15% out from blood tests and you are seeing variances of >30%, then it is more than likely there is an issue. It's not the number of absolute mol out that cause the issue, it's the relative percentage. If you are using it in place of bg testing, then you are going to screw up at these ranges.

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre reader has stopped accepting blood strips. Abbott are sending a replacement.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I already have the tell-tale itch from this sensor and it's only day 2! It's also not the most accurate sensor I've ever had - at least 1mmol out and frequently around 2mmol out. I'll see how it goes, but might be on the phone to Abbott again soon.

Smidge

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre reader has stopped accepting blood strips. Abbott are sending a replacement.
Mine is on the verge of this. Also the built-in meter has started to diverge from my Optium, which it never did before. I'll wait a bit, but expect it to bomb.